It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archived papers reveal Queen's 'World War Three' speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Archived papers reveal Queen's 'World War Three' speech

ca.news.yahoo.com

LONDON (Reuters) - Relations between the Soviet Union and the West had become so tense 30 years ago that British officials drew up a speech for the Queen to deliver to the nation in the event of a nuclear war, newly released archives showed on Thursday.

In the speech, the monarch was to urge Britons to remain united and resolute in the face of the "madness of war."

Written by government officials, the hypothetical speech was part of a secret exercise designed to prepare Britain for the threat of a possible World War Three, but was never broadcast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Fascinating....

Imagine it is the 1980's.... We didn't have instant communications quite like we have today. Global war, perhaps nuclear war, is on the verge of breaking out....and good 'ol Beth has to make a statement. Can you imagine what must be going through their minds at that time? It's like watching two school yard bullies about to have a throw-down. You, as a bystander, what do you say? What do you do? What do you tell your kids to do today???

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If WW3 really kicked off then speeches would be irrelevant, in fact I'd be amazed if anyone manages to finish their speech:

"People of this great country, we have entered a great war... BOOM!"

And then we were all dust

edit on 1-8-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Great find Gypsy~

Makes one wonder what other "secret" files are ready for use at a moments notice.

SnF~

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Thank you USA and USSR for both draging the UK into your pissing match.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Your welcome... Otherwise you would be speaking german

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Not really. Seeing as we held of the Germans with only some material US help way before the USA got involved into the war proper. Its France, Belgium and Holland that owe you.

And anyway this is about the cold war. A stupid pissing match between too super powers for no reason what so ever than to prove who has the biggest dong military wise.

edit on 1-8-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Great find Gypsy~

Makes one wonder what other "secret" files are ready for use at a moments notice.

SnF~

Isn't it amazing how the rhetoric never changes though??

In the speech, the monarch was to urge Britons to remain united and resolute in the face of the "madness of war."

I'm sure there are all kinds of sound bites from world leaders saying the same things. When you consider the psyops that goes into these speeches, it isn't surprising...I'll grant you that.....but I still find it amusing to see regardless.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

lol this is what the typical, uneducated yank actually believes..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Thank you USA and USSR for both draging the UK into your pissing match.

Yeah, that tends to happen between super powers.... Wasn't that many centuries ago that Britain and France had the same sort of pissing match.

C'est la vie!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheUnusualSuspect

lol this is what the typical, uneducated yank actually believes..

I know

They don't realise that on D-Day just as many British troops went in as US and that 1/4 of the pacific fleet was UK Commonwealth, not to mention the million odd Japanese troops that the UK tied up in Burma.

If you yanks are going to bash a country for being saved and not doing anything at least pick one who actually deserves it like FRANCE.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Exactly and if it wasn't for the French during the Revoultionary War we would all be speaking English.....ummm...nevermind.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

But I highly doubt the UK would have been defended for long if Germany had owned and controlled all of Europe, now would it.

You talk about pissing matches, but you are creating one of your own.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I saw that and was thinking of posting it here ... but then I saw where it said that it wasn't really her speech but was what was 'expected' to be said. Something like that. So it was a guess about what was to be said instead of something that was really written by her if it was ever needed.

Still .. it's interesting. Kind of tells the mindset of the time.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheNewRevolution

But I highly doubt the UK would have been defended for long if Germany had owned and controlled all of Europe, now would it.

Actually it did. Read up on battle of Britain.

We gave the NAZI such a bloody nose in there attempted invasion they went off and started on Russia instread.

This was before the USA got involved

Rember the UK was THE super power at the time not the USA. It was only after the war (well near the end) the USA ovetook the UK.

It really pisses me off when you American view the UK as some defencless island of cowards in world war 2 that needed saving like france. You are basicaly ignoreing the hundred of thousands of UK and its common wealth allies that fought and died along side your Americans. I find it offenisve to thier sacrifices. The USA DID NOT WIN world war II It fought alongside it allies for a joint victory. But some how most American cant seem to comprehend that

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It's what they do and then they run to the US to save them when it gets too hot. Same with countless other countries but we're the bad guys.

Maybe we should just turn our back on some of these countries and see how they fare.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by playernumber13

It's what they do and then they run to the US to save them when it gets too hot. Same with countless other countries but we're the bad guys.

Maybe we should just turn our back on some of these countries and see how they fare.

See you know little to nothing on world war 2 except what hollywood and your propaganda text books teach you

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Oh lordy....its another here comes the American cavalry to save the day derailment, yes the Americans helped in WW2 and they got paid handsomely for it so back to our regularly scheduled program

It must of been chilling to have to write such a speech as you know the worlds basically going to end before you have time to finish saying it

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It really pisses me off when you American view the UK as some defencless island of cowards in world war 2 that needed saving like france. You are basicaly ignoreing the hundred of thousands of UK and its common wealth allies that fought and died along side your Americans. I find it offenisve to thier sacrifices. The USA DID NOT WIN world war II It fought alongside it allies for a joint victory. But some how most American cant seem to comprehend that

And it really pisses me off when you brits don't give credit where credit is due. You want to talk about how many brits died , at least they were defending their own nation

How many Americans died on the other side of the world defending your nation?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

O I do give them credit. They died very valiently. And for once unlike in resent wars they really were fighting for freedom. And they were protecting the USA as Hitler was the one that declared war on the USA first. If Germanay and Japan had there way they would have bottled the USA up on its own continet and cut you off from the rest of the world until you gave in to there demands. World war affected everyone.

I recognise the USA people that diead along with the vast numbers of Russians. I wish the USA would do the same!

O and Brits died far from home in the pacific war too. Look up the battle of Burma. If not for that the Japanese would have had hundreds of thousands of troops to deploy else were.

So equal sacrifices were made by both countrys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join