It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Cops

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'd like to pose something to consider here..... IF these folks really did draw attention JUST for searching terms that made the JTTF in that area think they had winners to go arrest? WHAT does that say about *US*? Seriously, think about that for a moment.

Welcome to the party.

If you joined and commented on this site without assuming it was observed... well...
There isn't even any need for compliance by the site owners, as people hand over more than enough in public posts and prodding PMs.

I don't know about anyone else here, but a few months ago, while making my very own Youtube channel, I discovered something. Youtube tracked and had for my review, EVERY video I have EVER viewed on their site. That includes ones clicked to view through ATS. Didn't matter. Youtube still saw it was ME and recorded it for my 'Play History'. The list went back multiple years....YEARS...and before I HAD a login with Youtube or Gmail to have thought they could correlate my online viewing to one account for index.

I've had all of the history archiving of all those services disabled pretty much from the moment you could.

Funnily enough I found out Google had re-enabled my web history archiving a couple of weeks ago... and found others who encountered the same thing this month asking about it. *shakes head* It's been re-disabled and cleared but... it's more the principle of it.

However I'm not in the slightest expecting those histories to *actually* be gone... merely gone from anything that I or anyone else "public" could access. At best the only defense one would have for misuse of the data in that situation is "so you lied"... which as we can well tell doesn't really matter in this arena.

Same for when I wiped and deleted my Facebook and Linkedin profiles (because I didn't like the service, not for privacy)... if they are actually deleted then I will be very very surprised. Not only the primary data... but snapshots going back in time. Again, all I assumed I was actually doing was wiping the surface away for myself and the "public" access... with not a single expectation that the data is actually gone for those who "have to have it".

(throws stacks of papers into the air) So much for any concept of privacy or illusions of anonymity to anyone but other users just like ourselves.

Again, welcome to the party (or congrats on helping continue it if you're pretending to be surprised
).

Isn't it obvious that this is the voluntary equivalent of a deer feeder for our segment of society? We naturally gravitate and populate it with all the information needed to paint a pretty interesting picture of a certain side of ourselves.
edit on 1-8-2013 by ErgoTheEgo because:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by abeverage

When you are done saving the entire planet by yourself please report back and let everyone know how it went.

MOTF!

I can't do it alone

Reading over your other replies I know we are on the same page (for this). And I apologize if I offended.
I was just trying to point out something I have done as well, something I want to make sure I don't repeat. We shouldn't have to be careful about what we search for (unless we are truly breaking the law).
edit on 1-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There's no reason for us to bicker at one another. Our division only helps them. We have a vast, untapped strength in numbers that they hope remains untapped. Many people may not see it this way, but the governments of the world and the corporate interests who sponsor them are afraid of us. It's no different than a bully who taunts and attacks others to mask their own insecurities. It's basic psychology. The phrase "united we stand, divided we fall" is very real here. There are two sides in this fight - us and them - and only one of those sides is currently united. As long as we're being blunt, I say we need to get our # together.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
When I was in grade school we used to say "It's a free country, I can do whatever I want!" as a way to stand up to bullies or other students who criticized us. And we knew no one could win against that argument.

"It's a free country, I can say what I want."

Just what are kids saying these days in the face of injustice?

"Okay, I comply. You win!" Good lord, just where are we headed?

edit on 1-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Agreed. I've been in your shoes as well. Outrage will get you nowhere faster than taking to the streets and screaming. We need to find a way to outrage 65% of the United States at once to see any real change. That being said, if it hasn't happened yet it, more than likely, won't.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheEgo

Again, welcome to the party (or congrats on helping continue it if you're pretending to be surprised ).

On this one? I actually AM surprised. I probably shouldn't be...but then again, why not be? They got alerted by a search on a couple relatively harmless words in the right context?

Just how many people were typing Pressure Cooker / Backpack or some variant of that into Google and all, around the same general time and into present day? Somehow this not only got hit on, isolated and sent up for review by humans but humans then acted and sent real world resources out to take action?

Given the trigger...the response indicates a level of big brother and connection between keyboard and door kickers which I hadn't realized was THAT short. Heck..I've assumed since hearing about Echelon in the 90's that everything we do is recorded at Ft. Meade, Maryland. However, recording trillions of words across the planet vs. sending door kickers to go meet and greet the typists? THAT is a wake up...I do say.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
One thing I'd like to point out is that the photo is from the Watertown sweeps and not an actual picture from the story. They mention it in the article but I wanted to point out to anyone just glancing over.

Now, my thoughts on the story.

As a writer (not a very good one) I have researched and searched for things from ______ to _____ to the method a woman _____ her _____ with _____ up the ______ for ______.

I'm just gonna let you fill in the blanks here.

The guy is a writer, and writers research all sorts of thing. Whether fiction or non-fiction. He could have just as easily been doing a piece on the event at the time, writing for a personal blog.

In fact, I'm thinking about all the searches I did now simply to debunk rumours and lies surrounding the event and I probably searched for a bunch of stuff related, as did thousands of others simply to seek out information omitted in the news.

It looks like the wife was a former contributor to Forbes, and simple research should have shown them all this.

Very strange times indeed.

All the urge to screen everyone's habits without even finding out who they are exactly.

I nearly didn't believe this one until reading the first hand account. I'm almost shocked this is an actual account, and search Michele Catalano if you don't believe it. It's getting picked up all over the internet by writers who know the couple.

On second thought, maybe you shouldn't search for it.

edit on 1-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So I can't look for pressure cookers and backpacks at the same time in fear of being outed as a terrorist?

Welp, there goes my cooking school preparedness.

edit on 1-8-2013 by TheToastmanCometh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
In fact, I'm thinking about all the searches I did now simply to debunk rumours and lies surrounding the event and I probably searched for a bunch of stuff related, as did thousands of others simply to seek out information omitted in the news.

That was what I was trying to point out also, as others have.

I went back & re-read her account of what happened, pressure cookers, backpacks and quinoa, oh my! and noticed something else beside backpacks & pressure cookers.

if you are my exceedingly curious news junkie of a twenty-year-old son, you click a lot of links when you read the myriad of stories. You might just read a CNN piece about how bomb making instructions are readily available on the internet and you will in all probability, if you are that kid, click the link provided.

So there is a good possibility that the son had looked at the instructions. But even with that, I still don't think that is enough to warrant what happened. Could one of them also 'googled' sporting or entertainment events?

The Guardian has now picked up the story and has posted an update.

Members of what she described as a "joint terrorism task force" descended on Catalano's home on Wednesday. A spokesman for the FBI told to Guardian on Thursday that its investigators were not involved in the visit, but that "she was visited by Nassau County police department … They were working in conjunction with Suffolk County police department."

A Nassau County police spokesman later said the department's officers were not involved. The Guardian has contacted the Suffolk County police department for comment.
www.theguardian.com

Curious.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Under what authority are you permitted to cook? This is what fast food is for. Go eat it. Purchasing and cooking your own food aids the enemy. If that food happens to be non-GMO, free-range, grass-fed, and pesticide-, antibiotic-, and hormone-free, then I'm going to need you to turn around and put your hands behind your head.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Could we actually make this a global headline? Everyone on ATS search for both of those items and we'll each be paid a visit. Show the world the snooping our government is doing, maybe the people will finally wake up.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Who to believe?!

MOTF!

Just look at the reactions in this thread alone,
their psy-op is back firing.

Of course plausible deniability is available now.

Mike

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Michele Catalano was looking for information online about pressure cookers. Her husband, in the same time frame, was Googling backpacks. Wednesday morning, six men from a joint terrorism task force showed up at their house to see if they were terrorists. Which prompts the question: How'd the government know what they were Googling?

The answer is simple.... PRISM. Simple as that.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

It doesn't matter what really happened, or if it even really happened, sadly. The conditioning was accomplished. If they can make even one more person afraid with each of these news articles - whether fabricated, misreported, or the absolute truth - then they've accomplished what they set out to accomplish.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oops, I just did searches for like an hour on some evil stuff. Let's see if the RCMP come pay me a visit

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

reply to post by ErgoTheEgo

Again, welcome to the party (or congrats on helping continue it if you're pretending to be surprised ).

On this one? I actually AM surprised. I probably shouldn't be...but then again, why not be? They got alerted by a search on a couple relatively harmless words in the right context?

I do want to offer that I don't know for sure about the case the thread is about as I wasn't there or a party in any way. I have some skepticism and an eyebrow raised regarding the specific story the thread is about. However to be surprised by the premise that every thing you say here is more likely to be observed than not, should come as no surprise.

I would actually make the point that being "corralled" here is less likely to have you on anyone's legitimate radar for concern. Not because you might not be saying things that are considered "undesirable"... but because you have an outlet and a community to engage in which prioritizes some degree of civility and mutual respect. Daily.

Most people here are probably easily identified as "talkative but harmless". Not that talk isn't useful... or in the long run extremely valuable... but when it comes to immediate threats very very few people here, especially active participants, are likely to be considered.

We're in a more or less self contained echo chamber and we are consistently "venting" whatever pressure is building in a relatively healthy way versus stewing and isolated from any outlet.

Now if you WERE to go and engage in something truly threatening... what is said here would be valuable to whoever wished to "deal with you" in whatever manner they choose.

edit on 1-8-2013 by ErgoTheEgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
what if a lot of events like this are planned for a specific effect.....and the stories released through the various news agencies appearing to be every bit as absurd as they really are.....but for a purpose......and that purpose...that reason is.....

to keep people scared.....to get people to self censor......to keep people in line....in the status quo......to program us to become more and more like dumb cattle that need to be poked and prodded and herded into a more and more controlled manner of living

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I'd like to pose something to consider here..... IF these folks really did draw attention JUST for searching terms that made the JTTF in that area think they had winners to go arrest? WHAT does that say about *US*? Seriously, think about that for a moment.

I don't know about anyone else here, but a few months ago, while making my very own Youtube channel, I discovered something. Youtube tracked and had for my review, EVERY video I have EVER viewed on their site. That includes ones clicked to view through ATS. Didn't matter. Youtube still saw it was ME and recorded it for my 'Play History'. The list went back multiple years....YEARS...and before I HAD a login with Youtube or Gmail to have thought they could correlate my online viewing to one account for index.

So again.... If a couple terms searched *IS* all it takes to get their attention.........anyone see where I'm going yet?

That tells me, for the majority of us? We have not only BEEN checked out, but we continue to be checked out on a regular basis, after tripping their wires and alarms on keywords & concepts. People wonder if "they" know who "we" are? This story tells me they not only know, but HAVE known and are fine with it, for now. They have been all along.....

(throws stacks of papers into the air) So much for any concept of privacy or illusions of anonymity to anyone but other users just like ourselves.

Logging IP addresses. Once you created an account, they matched your "registered name" with an IP history in the stored databanks.

Yep...there is no secrecy on the internet...none whatsoever and prob has not been since 2001...at least.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by instigatah
...and the stories released through the various news agencies appearing to be every bit as absurd as they really are.....but for a purpose......and that purpose...that reason is.....

to keep people scared.....to get people to self censor...

I'm leaning more toward that interpretation every day.

See mikegrouchy's thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-8-2013 by ErgoTheEgo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join