It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Could Be Revived A Day Later - Dr. Sam Parnia Claims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
A doctor in New York, who conducts research into Near Death Experiences, claims that the human brain does not suffer deterioration from oxygen depravation until hours after death. His thought is the opposite of the current thinking which is that the deterioration happens in just minutes. He also says that he believes people will be able to be revived from the dead hours later, maybe even a full day later. He gives no information to back up his statement except to say that his research is leading him to believe this.

I smell another book in the future???

Side note - I'm glad I have a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order. If I was dead and gone .. off to whatever is next .. for a while day .. I"d hate to get pulled back to this life and stuck back in a body that probably suffered a whole lot of damage during the 'down time'.

Dead Could Be Revived A Day Later - Dr. Sam Parnia Claims

BRINGING the dead back to life may soon be a medical reality, with claims people may be able to be resuscitated up to 24 hours after their death.

Critical care physician Sam Parnia makes the claim in his book Erasing Death, saying resuscitation research is on the cusp of a major breakthrough within the next 20 years.

"With today's medicine, we can bring people back to life up to one, maybe two hours, sometimes even longer, after their heart stopped beating and they have thus died by circulatory failure. In the future, we will likely get better at reversing death," he told Germany's Spiegel magazine. "It is possible that in 20 years, we may be able to restore people to life 12 hours or maybe even 24 hours after they have died. You could call that resurrection, if you will. But I still call it resuscitation science."

Who is Dr. Sam Parina?

Wikipedia

Sam Parnia, M.D., Ph.D. is a critical care physician and director of resuscitation research at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine in New York. He is recognized as an authority on the scientific study of death, the human mind–brain relationship, and near-death experience.

Parnia is the author of What Happens When We Die (2006) and Erasing Death: The Science That is Rewriting the Boundaries Between Life and Death (2013)

Daily Mail UK

- Dr Sam Parnia said his research is on the cusp of major breakthroughs

- At the moment medics can bring people back to life within two hours but he believes this window is about to be significantly widened

- Average resuscitation rate for cardiac arrest patients in UK is 16% but at Dr Parnia's Stony Brook University School of Medicine it is 33%

- He added: 'My basic message: The death we commonly perceive today in 2013 is a death that can be reversed'

Dr. Sam Parina on Coast to Coast

edit on 7/31/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Side note - I'm glad I have a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order. If I was dead and gone .. off to whatever is next .. for a while day .. I"d hate to get pulled back to this life and stuck back in a body that probably suffered a whole lot of damage during the 'down time'.

Off topic, but .. you know, imagining being pulled back after having found out that there is nothing terrifies me. I am not religious and believe that there is nothing after this, but, man, would I hate to know it for sure.

(and yes, I know it may sound silly, but I do find comfort in knowing that I might be wrong about the whole God-thing)
edit on 31-7-2013 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Seeing is believing I suppose.

When a person dies its because of health problems, old age or injury. How would they bring some back to life if the body has already expire do to these problems.

And even if this does working, how long will that person be able to live?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
And even if this does working, how long will that person be able to live?

This doctor claims the body will be able to be brought back 24 hours after death.
I seriously don't see that. He says there isn't brain damage. I don't believe that.
I would think that the brain would be seriously compromised.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DupontDeux
you know, imagining being pulled back after having found out that there is nothing terrifies me.

I didn't die for a day, no more then a couple minutes, but in that couple minutes I saw things.
I'm atheist so the fact anything happened kind of still feels like it was a kind of hallucination,
like my brain was still working or something.

But I mean, all that happened was the room began to swirl, not like being drunk, but as if the world around me was dissolving, into a grey frozen void, to which I floated into where the ceiling would be and back into my body in another hospital. Literally a cliche' of death in many ways. I'm still not entirely sure 5 years later.

It was "nothing", but something will still happening in that nothing, I was observing and feeling it momentarily.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Could you imagine knowing for sure if there is, or is not, life after death.

What if this is it, which is probably is.

Anyway there is also a reason I am more agnostic then atheist?

But then again, at what point would this person remember anything of a place after death, as they were still dying, or reviving? They would not remember a thing in between, like that time never happened.
Like before you were born, billions of years passed, and you didn't even know it.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was only a matter of time. Just imagine the type of studies that could be done if he is right.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Well, wouldnt your blood already be congealed in your veins? I dont see this working

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

Well, wouldnt your blood already be congealed in your veins? I dont see this working

Maybe if you expired while in hospital they could prevent that?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Yea, maybe so.. maybe they can circulate your blood, while keeping it heated up, through a machine

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
As I read this I had chills running through my body. I'm one of the many people who fear death. There's just something about it that just frightens me that I'll be gone forever. Science finding some cure from death or being able to stay alive longer than imagine gives me hope that death is not the final curtain.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DupontDeux

Off topic, but .. you know, imagining being pulled back after having found out that there is nothing terrifies me. I am not religious and believe that there is nothing after this, but, man, would I hate to know it for sure.

(and yes, I know it may sound silly, but I do find comfort in knowing that I might be wrong about the whole God-thing)
edit on 31-7-2013 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

Look at it this way, if Christians are right, knowing there is nothing would be a lot better than eternal torment in hell, being that you are not religious and have not asked Jesus to forgive you your sins, that's where the book says you would go!

Always got to find a silver lining lol!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

I think our consciousness is recycled we just dont know it... yea i know that sounds like reincarnation but ive actually given this a lot of thought over the years

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I can only think that this a horribly bad idea... for one, if I'm dead, leave me alone... let me move on and do whatever it is that the afterlife holds. If I end up in Hell, it's my own damned fault (pun clearly intended)...

Beyond that, the brain cells die without oxygen... I have no desire to be a zombie or a walking "shell" in a semi-vegetative state...

Maybe they have actually been doing this for years in Wash. D.C.... it would sure serve to explain a lot...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

I usually stay far away from religious conversation because most of my exercised free speech is of a political nature and I don't think religion has any place in politics outside of protections to practice it as individuals or groups see fit, given it doesn't harm others.

That said, I respect everyone's right to believe and practice whatever faith or non faith they find most beneficial to their lives and happiness.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I wouldn't go so far as say never resuscitate me, but if they do they better not keep me hanging around paying high hospital bills. I don't want all the money I worked so hard all my life for going to the medical industry, I want my kids to have it to make their lives less stressful. I'm not giving the kids money to waste it either. I want them to use it frivolously. What I leave them would not buy one expensive car but it can buy them workable safe cars to last the rest of their life if they are smart about it.

If I'm dead a day, I think I may want to remain dead. If some of my brain and memories are gone, then I am not who I am anymore. If I were to lose all my memories in something such as alzheimers, I would not want all my money to go to a nursing home, my kids are instructed to leave me at home, if I die I die. I will need someone to get help get me supplies so I can have coffee and makecookies, pasties, and homemade soups though. If I drink coffee, I won't get alzheimers. If I eat enough salt to keep the lymphic system detoxing the brain it won't be a problem.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

Actually the opposite happens. I was wondering if they would have to do a complete exchange transfusion if enough time passed. I have seen blood from a dead person before. And it is a brownish tinged thin fluid without the separate components being apparent.

Oh and let me be his first volunteer.

edit on 31-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Look at it this way, if Christians are right, knowing there is nothing would be a lot better than eternal torment in hell, being that you are not religious and have not asked Jesus to forgive you your sins, that's where the book says you would go!

Always got to find a silver lining lol!

Well, there is always the chance that, should he exist, God favors those of his creations that does not believe in him - you know, because he reckons that there is really no reason they should believe in him, and that believing without proper reason is a flaw.

And, really, wouldn't one prefer one's successes over one' flaws?

(You didn't think of THAT, did you, huh Pascal?)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I think that people that became brain damage after suffocation would make a good point to indicate that Dr. Sam Parnia Claims are indeed preposterous in the general terms the OP proposes (I did not read the links as I give no credit to the claims made).

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Yes after a couple of hours. But, perhaps the Dr. is saying longer, but with perfusion and some type of preservative in the blood? Decades ago people would have laughed if you said those that were dead a couple of hours can be brought back. Now look at what we do now? The doctor seems to be talking about 20 years in the future. And maybe in those days every ambulence will have a perfusion device? And perhaps many other advanced devices.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join