It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Using Nuke Program as Leverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Talks between the EU and Iran concerning Iran's nuclear program have resulted in a threat to leave the NPT (nuclear proliferation treaty), should the EU turn the situation over to the UN Security council. Sirus Naseri, a representative of Iran involved in the talks was reported to have said, "If they start to pressure or threaten us, then we will put aside the treaty and go underground ." (IMG : PBS)

www.swissinfo.org
TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran will pull out of the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and develop its atomic
programme in secret if Western nations threaten or put pressure on Tehran, a senior Iran diplomat has been quoted
as saying.

Iranian government officials have in the past repeatedly said Tehran had no intention of following North Korea's
example of withdrawing from the NPT.

Diplomats expect Iran to announce shortly that it has agreed to suspend nuclear fuel cycle activities which could
be used to make bomb material as part of a deal with the European Union to avoid referral to the U.N. Security
Council.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Iranians seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth in this dicey situation. Agreeing to suspend their program will buy them time, which it appears to be their motive. The threats to leave the NPT, and go underground seem to be pointed at Washington as the Iranians are seeking to be recognized by the US.

GR:Edit

[edit on 11/10/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I find it to be a lil more than a coincidence that the iranians are double talking to buy as much time as they can just like Saddam Hussein done every time he wasthreatened with sanctions or action by the UN Security counsel. I feel that they are just beuying time so that they can develop their first few nuclear weapons in secret.....by the time Britain and the other countries loose patience with this delaying tactic and backwards rhetoric, it may be to late and Iran may have already developed these weapons. I have done some extensive searching on the net for Iranian forums and posting boards.....I have heard claims in their hundreds citing insider knowledge from military personnel to their families that they have had nuclear weapons now for over 12months.....we could already be to late.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by radiant_obsidian
I find it to be a lil more than a coincidence that the iranians are double talking to buy as much time as they can just like Saddam Hussein done every time he wasthreatened with sanctions or action by the UN Security counsel. I feel that they are just beuying time so that they can develop their first few nuclear weapons in secret.....by the time Britain and the other countries loose patience with this delaying tactic and backwards rhetoric, it may be to late and Iran may have already developed these weapons. I have done some extensive searching on the net for Iranian forums and posting boards.....I have heard claims in their hundreds citing insider knowledge from military personnel to their families that they have had nuclear weapons now for over 12months.....we could already be to late.

you seem quite worried radient, why?

Iran is attempting only to gain nuclear parity with Israel. Perhaps if a muslim nation gains nuclear weapons, their will be greater urgency on the Israeli side to make peace with the Palestinians.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Volkgeister

Iran is attempting only to gain nuclear parity with Israel. Perhaps if a muslim nation gains nuclear weapons, their will be greater urgency on the Israeli side to make peace with the Palestinians.

Yea, thats right, the Isrealis have NEVER tried to make peace with the Palestinians.
***SARCASM OFF***

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I dont like the thought of any country developing nuclear weapons....you say they are developing them for parity with israel....but this will never happen as the US will always keep the zionist stae a step ahead of her enemies around her. I dont mean to offend you or anything, but Iran seeking peaceful intentions through nuclear proliferation is BS, any country going afet nuclear weapons technology is doing it to increase their power, whether it be for bargaining for economic aid, or simply intimidating other non-nuclear countries.....any 1 who develops a weapon, must at the very least expect to have to use it at some point? why else take the time, money and risk to develop them when the greater international community is agains this and would probably sanction or even attack Iran for doing so. Nuclear weapons full stop worry me, whether they are american, or Iranian.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardCore American

Originally posted by Volkgeister

Yea, thats right, the Isrealis have NEVER tried to make peace with the Palestinians.
***SARCASM OFF***

Did i say that Israel NEVER tried to make piece? I don't believe i did.

Simply that the Israeli's display all the arrogance that one gets from nuclear supremecy. Perhaps if Israel wasn't the only nuclear power in the region it wouldn't so easily persecute the Palestinians (and yes i know the Palestinians are not blameless, but do you honestly believe Israel could be destroyed by the Palestinians, or any other muslim nation?). What i'm saying is that perhaps nuclear parity would facilitate peace.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The Chineese have just signed and agreement with Iran on the purchase of oil worth billions of U.S. dollars. Any attempt by the UN security council to sanction Iran in reference to nuclear weapons research will be vetoed by China.
China will sell Iran all the weaponery it needs to launch long range missles with nuculear war heads. This move will bring the EU to its kneeds. After this they will target the U.S.. China will be winner and the West the loser.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by radiant_obsidian

I dont like the thought of any country developing nuclear weapons....you say they are developing them for parity with israel....but this will never happen as the US will always keep the zionist stae a step ahead of her enemies around her. I dont mean to offend you or anything, but Iran seeking peaceful intentions through nuclear proliferation is BS, any country going afet nuclear weapons technology is doing it to increase their power, whether it be for bargaining for economic aid, or simply intimidating other non-nuclear countries.....any 1 who develops a weapon, must at the very least expect to have to use it at some point? why else take the time, money and risk to develop them when the greater international community is agains this and would probably sanction or even attack Iran for doing so. Nuclear weapons full stop worry me, whether they are american, or Iranian.

I didn't mean to imply that Iran was pursuing nukes for purely altruistic reasons, so please forgive me, i was merely pointing out one particular result of nuclear parity. Of course Iran is hoping that nuclear weapons will increase its political and economic power, afterall they are an expensive investment.

As the nuclear weapons situation stands at this point; Israel could use nukes on any other middle-eastern nation without fearing the same in retaliation.

Of course i'm not happy that Iran has nuclear weapons, but i'm not happy that Israel has nuclear supremacy in the Middle-East. The zionist lobbies are only condemming this, and urging the US into war, because the status quo suits Israel.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ive just read the above post about China's oil deal with Iran, tho Im not sure how much to belive about china threatenig to sell Iran ICBM technology......Are china really that foolhardy??? This is worrisome more than the original post I think....do you have any links about china's involvement?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Radiant, China needs the Middle East for its natural resourceses to further its huge industrial machine. Besides the U.S. they are require vast amounts of energy to fuel there economy. They like Islam want world domination but there quest for this domination will come in the form in peaceful means. There ultimate plan is to drive the Western nations into third world status.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
do you have any links about the Iran/China agreement?
i think this could lead to some interesting situations in the international community, if true.

new topics

top topics

join