It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Divorce a sin?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well I'm going to try to say this without stirring up any kind of a coup. In my opinion, marriage is a creation of society. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is, but I don't see why you have to go through political/clergy channels just to devote your love to someone. I don't think divorce is a sin simply because I think marriage itself is unnecessary. I can pledge my love to someone without it being on some legal form.

Just a side note, what's with the gay haters? "keeping [marriage] sacred and away from gays"? This line offended me so much, and I'm not even gay! That's a rhetorical question, please don't answer it. I just wanted to let people know that I believe in human rights, and I just couldn't let that quote go without saying something about it.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
We've been hearing a lot about the sanctity of marriage and keeping and preserving it by changing the law. But what about divorce? I always heard that getting a divorce was a sin. Well, is it or not? I would think that trying to maintain marriage is just as important as keeping it sacred and far away from gays. Is there any legislature that will help couples preserve and maintain their marriage instead of them using it up and throwing it away like a dime novel?

I sure hope it is not a sin. After 20 years my wife requested a divorce and I granted her request and gave her the house because I did not wish to go to court. I don't like judges or lawyers and did not wish to run my children through sides to choose. I sure would feel like siht if she went to hell, because I did not fight. That would scuk.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Sin is defined by the religion you choose to practice if any. All religions do not agree on this point.

As for the Catholic Church, may I clarify that divorce is not a sin, however it is not actually recognized as the end of the union in the sense that one may then move on and marry another. Marriage in the Church is final (until death do us part). Therefore, barring an annulment acknowledging the marriage never truly existed, the sin would be a union with a subsequent person, as you are actually still married in the eyes of God.

By the way, I am only clarifying some facts here, if you don't agree with what this particular Church teaches, that's your business and your choice. Since no one is forced to be one it is moot to attack these particular beliefs, they are there for the faithful. (Lame attempt to prevent Catholic bashing -
- as if
)

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
I think the whole institution of marrige is to keep the common people from developing too much power.

Absolutely... the "surname" is only there to help trace your bloodlines and breeding. It also helps with the dividing of plunder after death (inheritance).

Monogamy is there to make sure individuals can't start up whole clans of their own, and to keep us from having too much fun.

So not much moral basis for the two is there? Seems they were introduced to help breed sheepl.

[edit on 25/11/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the support Relentless,

My wife believes she is a Catholic. It has been ingrained in her nature. She is bright however not knowledgeable. In my view of reality. I believe in no Church or Religion on this World. I do believe in a concrete universal power I shall refer to as GOD, although, I feel more comfortable with mathematician.
I pray her belief sustains her and god accepts her design as well as mine.

polar bear

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
A sin, I don't think so. What I do think is divorce is too easy. Like abortion, it has become a quick fix for the lazy. If divorces were harder to obtain, maybe people wouldn't enter into marriage so lightly. Too many people get divorced at the first sign of boredom. But like abortion, I don't believe government or religion have the right to ban it.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
A sin, I don't think so. What I do think is divorce is too easy. Like abortion, it has become a quick fix for the lazy. If divorces were harder to obtain, maybe people wouldn't enter into marriage so lightly. Too many people get divorced at the first sign of boredom. But like abortion, I don't believe government or religion have the right to ban it.

Well, you had me till the final thought. Religion does have a right to ban what they want, just like ATS has the right to ban what it deems banable
They are afterall private institutions and can make their own rules. As no one is forcing another to participate in either (a religion or ATS) there is no problem.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join