It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Official Accuses U.S. of Biological Weapons Violations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Years ago I would have shrugged this off as Russian Propaganda. But I'm older and wiser (sometimes) and I have a feeling that this isn't far from the truth. There is still a chance that it's all a big cloud of smoke tho. Let's hope so.

But then again, the US has proven time and time again that whatever they decide as a set of rules for the World to be guided by does not apply to them.

I can only say that if they ever get caught using chemical weapons it will be the last straw and game over. What little support they have on the International stage will have disappeared completely.

www.activistpost.com...
A Senior Russian official has leveled charges that the United States is violating the Biological Weapons Convention and doing so too close for comfort to the Russian border.

As quoted in The Moscow Times, July 20, 2013, Russia's chief sanitary inspector, Gennady Onishchenko, has accused the U.S. of producing biological weapons in Georgia at a U.S. Navy facility that is run in concert with the Georgian government.

And the Moscow Times Link provides us with:

www.themoscowtimes.com...
Russia's chief sanitary inspector, Gennady Onishchenko, has accused the U.S. of producing biological weapons in Georgia and said they posed a threat to Russia.

A U.S. Navy laboratory located on the premises of a former Soviet military base on the outskirts of Tbilisi is engaged in activities that violate the 1975 Biological Weapons Convention, threaten Russia and will harm economic cooperation, Onishchenko told Interfax on Saturday.

And from one of the posters on the Moscow News site:

"Silverman also claims in recent print and broadcast interviews that there is a biological weapons laboratory in Tbilisi which houses deadly bio agents that can be weaponized (anthrax, measles, and black plague and H1N1 bacteria).

Similar information has also been alleged by a Norwegian journalist who was attacked. The facility near the airport is rather impressive, and he as Silverman suffered an unprovoked attack. Perhaps the attack was related to a site visit, perhaps coincidence, as previously reported in the Georgian Times several years ago.

The lab was reported on awhile back here:

jonis-geonews.livejournal.com...
Officially the Central Public Health Reference Laboratory in Tbilisi, Georgia, opened on 18 March 2011. With a price tag of 100 million USD, facility is designed to promote public and animal health through infectious disease detection and epidemiological surveillance. The facility was built by the United States Defense Threat Reduction Agency, a part of the U.S. Department of Defense, and it has both Georgian and American staff. [1]http://civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=23257

Despite its official designation, however, locals and other consider the impressive facility to be a bio-weapons lab that has been strategically located near the Tbilisi International Airport for quick deployments. The stakeholders in the lab are especially disturbing, and include the likes of Bechtel National and its various subcontractors.

And of course it was opened with the explanation of research on viruses, diseases etc:

civil.ge...
Georgian and the U.S. senior officials opened on March 18 in outskirts of Tbilisi USD 100 million biological research facility designed to, as the officials say, promote public and animal health through infectious disease detection and epidemiological surveillance.

Andrew C. Weber, the U.S. assistant secretary of defense for nuclear, chemical, and biological defense programs, Georgian PM Nika Gilauri and U.S. Ambassador to Georgia, John Bass, were among the officials present at the inauguration of Central Public Health Reference Laboratory (CPHRL) close to the Tbilisi airport.

“What we are trying to do is to fill in some of the gaps around the world to give us a better global picture of the trends and ways in which diseases crop up and threaten,” Ambassador Bass said.

Why open this over there when the US has some of the most advanced research facilities on its own soil?

With Syria coming into play and the US most certainly invading, the Russians are going to not stand for it. Will chemicals be used?

As I mentioned, years ago I would deny it but for now I have to say that I believe the US would resort to chemical warfare.

Peace

edit on 21-7-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Our government is walking a very slippery slope. As you stated, international laws don't apply to the US government. Well, them and Israel.

If this is true, then our last shred of credibility is gone.

I think other countries have had about enough of our two-faced way of doing business.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Our government is walking a very slippery slope. As you stated, international laws don't apply to the US government. Well, them and Israel.

If this is true, then our last shred of credibility is gone.

I think other countries have had about enough of our two-faced way of doing business.

It's "Do as I say and not as I do" policy that has taken the credibility away from the US.

Once the most trusted leaders of the World...no more.

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Exactly! Like yourself, I am older and...ahem...wiser now. Years ago, god, many years ago, I would have laughed at this.

Now, I can totally see the Russian government being spot on with this report.

Our evils are being exposed and slowly our facade is crumbling.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
"Georgian and the U.S. senior officials opened on March 18 in outskirts of Tbilisi USD 100 million biological research facility designed to, as the officials say, promote public and animal health through infectious disease detection and epidemiological surveillance."

If this was true then what is wrong with carrying out this research in the United States (At Home)?

I'm personally not buying what they're selling at all.

I think it's a preemptive tactic of warfare, giving it's facilities location.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Biological agents have already been released by the US government and with its blessings. Must the people be reminded of Monsanto and GMO's? The government has gone so far as to legally protect them from prosecution even though the products cause harm. It is a biological weapon that kills softly.

There is no need to wonder, the answer is, yes, the US government has and is actively using biological weapons daily and globally. Not all biological weapons need to be delivered via a munition. They now come in the form of a seed that has been genetically modified to produce a plant and the toxin.

So when the Russian Official Accuses the US of biological weapons violations...the US is guilty as charged.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
Biological agents have already been released by the US government and with its blessings. Must the people be reminded of Monsanto and GMO's? The government has gone so far as to legally protect them from prosecution even though the products cause harm. It is a biological weapon that kills softly.

There is no need to wonder, the answer is, yes, the US government has and is actively using biological weapons daily and globally. Not all biological weapons need to be delivered via a munition. They now come in the form of a seed that has been genetically modified to produce a plant and the toxin.

So when the Russian Official Accuses the US of biological weapons violations...the US is guilty as charged.

I'm thinking of Agent Orange right now...also developed by Monsanto.

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The problem with actually employing BIO weapons as opposed to chemical weapons is that BIO weapons are indiscriminate and hard to control. Once a chemical cloud disperses or settles out and is washed away, it ceases to be a threat.

BIO weapons on the other hand, ahem, (cough) can't be washed away and the release is just the beginning. Any infectious "weaponized" strain is 24 hours from all points of the globe by jetliner. With an incubation period of up to weeks it could be everywhere at once and unstoppable.

Not saying this or that about this particular facility, just shedding light on their "tactical" usefulness.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You make a good point.

In the past, the US government was the go to source. Now it would seem that most people assume that everything the US says is a lie then stop to consider whether it MIGHT be true.

Take a look at this article from 2005:

1918 Spanish Flu Offers Clues About Pandemic Viruses.

The article talks about how the US government has discovered that there MAY be similarities between the Spanish flu and the Bird flu.

When the Spanish flu struck in late winter 1918, it quickly spread around the globe, killing 50 million people by the spring of 1919.

It had an unusually high death rate in otherwise healthy people aged 15-34. At the time, microbiologists didn't know what caused the widespread deaths; the influenza virus was not identified until 1933. And as the Washington Post reported, although biologists later were able to determine the broad family of influenza viruses the 1918 strain came from, its genetic identity was lost.

That is, until Jeffrey Taubenberger, a molecular pathologist at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Rockville, Md., and his team toiled for 10 years to piece together the deadly virus in a high-security laboratory at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

How fortunate for us that the US government was already experimenting with the most deadly flu virus known to man.

So the US government recovered a strain of the most deadly flu in history, only to spend the next 10 years recreating it in a lab...

But its for our own good.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Yeah, Russia would never fabricate an excuse to invade Georgia [sarcasm]! Perhaps this is Russia's way of turning the table on Syria?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow
Yeah, Russia would never fabricate an excuse to invade Georgia [sarcasm]! Perhaps this is Russia's way of turning the table on Syria?

Anything is possible these days.

No Govt. is excused from guilt.

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ugh.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to dig a deep hole, crawl in, and stay put until the rest of the world wipes itself out once and for all.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
GOOD Catch Jude. Something stinks in that. Like, there is a BIG RAT in this story somewhere. I'm just not sure where or how many. Let me share a bit of what I found in doing a bit more background.

First, 2 of your sources mention that Richard Lugar, U.S. Senator, called it a Bio-Weapons storage lab. Which, apparently in another of your sources they say it is ...for Soviet produced, Soviet Era bugs that haven't been exterminated yet. I guess Russia WOULD know what's there then.

Rat # 1 on origins...

The new lab in Alekseevka, Tbilisi, will be housing a large collection of dangerous pathogens - a remnant of the so-called anti plague system from the Soviet years. It played an important part in the defense side of the biological weapons research, according to Raymond Zilinskas, a researcher at Center for Non-Proliferation Studies in Monterrey, California.

One reason for this is that Tbilisi once had one of the largest primate research facilities, used for testing pathogens.

^That would answer part of the why on Tiblisi, and from OP Link

Now.. Recall what I just noted about 2 of your links citing Senator Dick Lugar calling this place a BW Storage lab, in what we can all pretty well agree was NOT a nice and friendly way of putting things, right?

This has today's date on it, so it's understandable to have been missed, but RAT # 2

A ceremony was conducted to rename the Central Public Health Reference Laboratory to the Richard G. Lugar Center for Public Health Research and break ground on the new administrative building Aug. 12.
Source: USAMRMC (US Army Medical)

....and as a side note, neither story seems to mention that at least in PART, there is a good reason some of this is in that building. It's far more than just this one lab...though, I'm not sure how good a thing that is, either.

The administrative building will house the administrative staffs for the Center for Public Health Research, Georgian National Center for Disease Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control Global Disease Detection Program, and the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.
(From US Army link above)

@ The person who asked about why this isn't done in the US? It will be, in part, and NO ONE much likes it here either.
RAT # 3

Manhattan, Kansas was selected as the NBAF location after an extensive three-year site selection process that included a thorough risk assessment, environmental impact assessment, and security assessment. The Manhattan location puts the NBAF in proximity to research of NBAF-related missions in veterinary, agriculture, and bio-security research expertise, and resources.

and... to highlight what this place is in Kansas, to compliment Tiblisi?

NBAF will provide and strengthen our nation with critical capabilities to conduct research, develop vaccines and other countermeasures, and train veterinarians in preparedness and response against these diseases. For the past 50 years, the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) has served our nation as the primary facility to conduct this research. However, PIADC is nearing the end of its life-cycle and needs to be replaced in order to meet U.S. research requirements and ensure the timely development of countermeasures in the event of an outbreak.
Source: DHS

I wonder what the Montoch Monster will be called in it's Kansas version? Anyway.. one last thing from Op's link..

There is also a plant bio facility not far from Georgian seaside resort city of Batumi that was tasked during the Soviet period with destroying the American Corn Crop (that facility is currently being funded by the British Ministry of Defense). The pathogens harvested in the Tbilisi plague station over a century were essential in the Soviet program for biological weapons.
Source

Brits and Americans... Running parallel lines of bad ideas, as usual it seems.

S&F to be sure!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Our government is walking a very slippery slope.
up::

Georgia is an area if we would like to avert a public relations issue or war we could probably just keep our troops out of there.

It was public relations issue last time with Georgia's president.

Here the US was training with Georgian troops then Georgia's president launches an artillery assault and killed some civilians. It made us look involved in Georgia president's decisions to launch an assault.

Bad public relations.
edit on 21-7-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Simple really.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The US war machine doesn't hesitate to experiment on it's own citizens, so it's not inconceivable that those goons would experiment on anyone they chose.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
globalskywatch.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

No, they can take more.Nobody will stop us, that's OUR job,not just for America either.

For them too.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That would be me who questioned "Why aren't American's doing this at home?"

Thanks for researching on your own and discovering that indeed that will be happening soon enough. I'm not one to do much digging of my own to be honest; I'll usually just input based on what's in the OP.

It would be nice if all this Biological research was indeed intended to be used to detect and treat animals, but my tinfoil hat is on.

That brings me to Monsanto, and it might be a stretch, but what if the research was being used to harm and infect these animals via creating a contagious virus that spreads animal to animal; in order to destroy live stock and hence making Monsanto "The only viable option" (I can't find the words here to articulate myself), but you know what I mean.

It's thought provoking to say the least, or "Food" for thought

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
GOOD Catch Jude. Something stinks in that. Like, there is a BIG RAT in this story somewhere. I'm just not sure where or how many. Let me share a bit of what I found in doing a bit more background.

First, 2 of your sources mention that Richard Lugar, U.S. Senator, called it a Bio-Weapons storage lab. Which, apparently in another of your sources they say it is ...for Soviet produced, Soviet Era bugs that haven't been exterminated yet. I guess Russia WOULD know what's there then.

Rat # 1 on origins...

The new lab in Alekseevka, Tbilisi, will be housing a large collection of dangerous pathogens - a remnant of the so-called anti plague system from the Soviet years. It played an important part in the defense side of the biological weapons research, according to Raymond Zilinskas, a researcher at Center for Non-Proliferation Studies in Monterrey, California.

One reason for this is that Tbilisi once had one of the largest primate research facilities, used for testing pathogens.

^That would answer part of the why on Tiblisi, and from OP Link

Now.. Recall what I just noted about 2 of your links citing Senator Dick Lugar calling this place a BW Storage lab, in what we can all pretty well agree was NOT a nice and friendly way of putting things, right?

This has today's date on it, so it's understandable to have been missed, but RAT # 2

A ceremony was conducted to rename the Central Public Health Reference Laboratory to the Richard G. Lugar Center for Public Health Research and break ground on the new administrative building Aug. 12.
Source: USAMRMC (US Army Medical)

....and as a side note, neither story seems to mention that at least in PART, there is a good reason some of this is in that building. It's far more than just this one lab...though, I'm not sure how good a thing that is, either.

The administrative building will house the administrative staffs for the Center for Public Health Research, Georgian National Center for Disease Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control Global Disease Detection Program, and the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.
(From US Army link above)

@ The person who asked about why this isn't done in the US? It will be, in part, and NO ONE much likes it here either.
RAT # 3

Manhattan, Kansas was selected as the NBAF location after an extensive three-year site selection process that included a thorough risk assessment, environmental impact assessment, and security assessment. The Manhattan location puts the NBAF in proximity to research of NBAF-related missions in veterinary, agriculture, and bio-security research expertise, and resources.

and... to highlight what this place is in Kansas, to compliment Tiblisi?

NBAF will provide and strengthen our nation with critical capabilities to conduct research, develop vaccines and other countermeasures, and train veterinarians in preparedness and response against these diseases. For the past 50 years, the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) has served our nation as the primary facility to conduct this research. However, PIADC is nearing the end of its life-cycle and needs to be replaced in order to meet U.S. research requirements and ensure the timely development of countermeasures in the event of an outbreak.
Source: DHS

I wonder what the Montoch Monster will be called in it's Kansas version? Anyway.. one last thing from Op's link..

There is also a plant bio facility not far from Georgian seaside resort city of Batumi that was tasked during the Soviet period with destroying the American Corn Crop (that facility is currently being funded by the British Ministry of Defense). The pathogens harvested in the Tbilisi plague station over a century were essential in the Soviet program for biological weapons.
Source

Brits and Americans... Running parallel lines of bad ideas, as usual it seems.

S&F to be sure!

Thanks for going further down the rabbit hole (pun intended)

I haven't been back to the issue of plum island for a long time and I know many are not even aware of the atrocities committed there.

For anyone to believe that the US would not be involved in developing these weapons which are some of the most deadly on Earth is foolish. Of course the US wants them. It's about power and control which the US thrives on.

Never let a good weapon go to waste.

Jude11

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Chipkin9

It would be nice if all this Biological research was indeed intended to be used to detect and treat animals, but my tinfoil hat is on.

It would be nice if this were not even conducted in climates or environments where loss of containment could EVER lead to a living pathogen crossing into outside life of any kind. There is only really one place on Earth I think Bio-Level IV Labs should be permissible and that's Antarctica. Perhaps one of it's best uses, in fact. It's the only place on our planet where #1, it's hard freeze conditions in the open air, 365 days a year and #2 where humans cannot get in and out quickly, making a sort of natural time transition for infection control as a last ditch to everything else.

Kansas and Georgia are temperate climate areas for at least part of the year. Anything man makes, breaks. Time is the only question. So, why have them anywhere that means epidemic or pandemic purely by "oooops! did we do that?"

* BTW.. Your welcome for the additional info and of course, the great stuff Jude already had on the thread. I learned as much or more than I shared on this one and that made it fun.
edit on 21-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join