It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smile! Cassini sets up photo of Earth-starts at 21:27 GMT and ends at 21:42 GMT

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist

Originally posted by the_philth
Considering Saturn will be towards my East, and just shy above the horizon, it kinda sucks knowing my window of opportunity to wave and say "sheeze" will be blocked by all the damn buildings that are in the way.

I'm in L.A., (PST), so I'll need to get my @$$ on top of one of said buildings in a few hours and wave and jump up and down so Cassini will capture my wackiness forever.

Thanks for the info OP! I'll be sure to keep you in mind while I'm going crazy!

Wait a second ! Is this camera actually going to capture clear enough shots for someone to be seen waving ? Im comfused.

It's a long exposure shot, so if everyone is waving, all we will see is a bunch of blurry arms

Actually, at will be just a "pale blue dot", like the other rimes Cassini has captured the Earth from saturn:
earthsky.org...

edit on 7/19/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
A wave and then a greeting to Cassini

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Arrgh, the Moon is so bright and I'm using binoculars
, but there's bunch of satellites in the skies, or at least I think they're satellites

Anyone with spare telescope that don't need it?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Tnx for article second image link don't work ..

earthsky.org...

PIA00452: Solar System Portrait - Earth as 'Pale Blue Dot'

This narrow-angle color image of the Earth, dubbed 'Pale Blue Dot', is a part of the first ever 'portrait' of the solar system taken by Voyager 1. The spacecraft acquired a total of 60 frames for a mosaic of the solar system from a distance of more than 4 billion miles from Earth and about 32 degrees above the ecliptic. From Voyager's great distance Earth is a mere point of light, less than the size of a picture element even in the narrow-angle camera. Earth was a crescent only 0.12 pixel in size. Coincidentally, Earth lies right in the center of one of the scattered light rays resulting from taking the image so close to the sun. This blown-up image of the Earth was taken through three color filters -- violet, blue and green -- and recombined to produce the color image. The background features in the image are artifacts resulting from the magnification.

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

PIA08324: Pale Blue Orb

Not since NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft saw our home as a pale blue dot from beyond the orbit of Neptune has Earth been imaged in color from the outer solar system. Now, Cassini casts powerful eyes on our home planet, and captures Earth, a pale blue orb -- and a faint suggestion of our moon -- among the glories of the Saturn system.

Earth is captured here in a natural color portrait made possible by the passing of Saturn directly in front of the sun from Cassini's point of view. At the distance of Saturn's orbit, Earth is too narrowly separated from the sun for the spacecraft to safely point its cameras and other instruments toward its birthplace without protection from the sun's glare.

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
ESA:"Put your hands up NOW and @WaveatSaturn next 15mins. CassiniSaturn is snapping a picture of Earth - and you'll be in it.Smile & say cheese!"

Love this image ..

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Waving at Planets (Saturn and Mercury) in the Rain.

astroblogger.blogspot.com.au...

edit on 19-7-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Okay, I feel bad for what I've done and I feel it's my responsibility to apologize to the beautiful people of this thread, but to MariaLida specifically --- for bringing this topic to my attention.

I took advantage of the opportunity and allowed my immaturity to surface, so I apologize to you...

But... I mooned Cassini.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Okay, I feel bad for what I've done and I feel it's my responsibility to apologize to the beautiful people of this thread, but to MariaLida specifically --- for bringing this topic to my attention.

I took advantage of the opportunity and allowed my immaturity to surface, so I apologize to you...

But... I mooned Cassini.

That will have to go into Cassini image catalogue tagged "Uranus"
edit on 20-7-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Images will be processed in the coming days and weeks ..

Until then

PIA14946: Enter the Vortex ... in Psychedelic Color

files.abovetopsecret.com...

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Latest Images

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 20-7-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist

Considering Saturn will be towards my East, and just shy above the horizon, it kinda sucks knowing my window of opportunity to wave and say "sheeze" will be blocked by all the damn buildings that are in the way.

I'm in L.A., (PST), so I'll need to get my @$$ on top of one of said buildings in a few hours and wave and jump up and down so Cassini will capture my wackiness forever.

Thanks for the info OP! I'll be sure to keep you in mind while I'm going crazy!

Wait a second ! Is this camera actually going to capture clear enough shots for someone to be seen waving ? Im comfused.

Its a joke, Earth will be 1 pixel in that picture

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up Thebel.

But I think (hope) blackmetalmist was joking as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The raw images are in at saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

Here's my RGB composite: www.pictureshack.us...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A much better version of my image: www.pictureshack.us...

In the previous image, I aligned the raw images centered on Earth, which left Saturn's rings slightly misaligned (this is due to Cassini travelling some distance between taking the shots). Here, I made the rings align more or less perfectly (resulting in a much more natural colour), and "pasted" the Earth from the previous image.

Had I known my image would be so popular on Facebook, I'd have waited and posted this one.

Anyhoo, has everyone already forgotten about this event? Did anyone take pictures of Saturn on that day?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
For #s and giggles. In the future would there be any way to zoom in on that "1 pixel" we're going to call earth.... and be able to see individuals in detail? Like the way we zoom in on a quarter from outer space. Maybe an advanced alien knows how to do it?

Even remotely possible?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mugen
For #s and giggles. In the future would there be any way to zoom in on that "1 pixel" we're going to call earth.... and be able to see individuals in detail? Like the way we zoom in on a quarter from outer space. Maybe an advanced alien knows how to do it?

Even remotely possible?

Hi Mugen. We can't zoom in on a quarter from space, that's a myth. The best spy satellites have at most 10 cm/pixel resolution, and that's from orbit around Earth. From Saturn, I don't think even the best space telescope would be able to see our continents.

~ ~ ~

A little update: NASA's official release with pictures
www.jpl.nasa.gov...
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov... - wow!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Originally posted by Mugen

Even remotely possible?

Hi Mugen. We can't zoom in on a quarter from space, that's a myth. The best spy satellites have at most 10 cm/pixel resolution, and that's from orbit around Earth. From Saturn, I don't think even the best space telescope would be able to see our continents.

~ ~ ~

A little update: NASA's official release with pictures
www.jpl.nasa.gov...
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov... - wow!

Hi wildspace. I think you know what I meant. But yes, you're right.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join