It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Trayvon 'could have been me'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Oh, you are wrong, he had done wonders with increasing the welfare state 19% since in the White house. People adore him for his generosity, remember free cellular phones too for the "poor'. Occurs at the expenses of tax payers in the nation.

Obama is better than apple pie.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

My views on racial relations in this country don't come from Obama or the Zimmerman trial.

I know they don't. They likely come from years of liberal policies that pander to minorities to buy votes. Liberals are all a product of a left-leaning ideology, as is Obama himself, that preys on the weak and exploits divisions. Obama just happens to be the latest mouthpiece of the left here in America.

There wouldn't be many racial tensions if people would take personal responsibility for themselves and their children. Act right, raise your kids right and stop bringing up race then there will be no problem!! That's what we should hear from the POTUS rather than more divisive talk!

edit on 19-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I couldn't have said that any better myself.

Not just one set of people, regardless of skin color or religion. Exploitation at it's finest. All people of America should be treated the same. No one should get anymore breaks then anyone else.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Obama is the "Sharknado" of presidents.

2nd

edit on 7/19/2013 by kosmicjack because: crazy skittle. sorry!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Obama is the "Sharknado" of presidents.

2nd

Not a thing said that is based in reality, and is read from a script, shot on film for distribution for the weak minded, and they love it?

I agree.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
They likely come from years of liberal policies that pander to minorities to buy votes.

You're wrong. They come from personal experience.

reply to post by seabag

There wouldn't be many racial tensions if people would take personal responsibility for themselves and their children. Act right, raise your kids right and stop bringing up race then there will be no problem!!

You don't get it. YOU may not see any problem, but black people in this country are and have been living in a world of discrimination every day. You don't see it so you don't think it's there and you don't care. When the truth is brought out into the light of day, and people start talking about it, you rant and rave, demanding that it be swept back under the rug. NOT talking about race is not going to make everything OK. Maybe it will be OK for you, but it won't be OK for the 13% of the population that live under discrimination every day.

Just to be clear, I think Zimmerman profiled Trayvon because of his skin color. He suspects black people. I don't think he's evil or wicked. He's human. I think HOW this case developed indicates racial issues that must be addressed. You can deny it all you want, but that won't make it go away.

edit on 7/19/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What positive thing has he done for black America (or for America in general) besides talk crap and blow money?

Your right, this is why I want him to take on the issue more. His election hasn't led to any leaps forward in black America, and because of expectations it may have led to a step backward. And I agree that the federal expansion generally isn't good for the urban poor. Problem is, noone is really stepping up to an alternative to transfers. We need better private community infrastructure in place before we can end welfare/medicare. And prefer checks for nothing over starvation and even more extreme poverty until we can create better systems.

If Obama speaks on the subject more, he can lead a needed national reflection on our current situation. Never speaking of race ignores that major disparities in black poverty, crime, education level, and incarceration as well as the historical context for these problems. White America can't pretend that because Obama was elected we are in a post-racial age. There has to be more volunteers coming from the suburbs to the city and a stronger link between the poor and the rich.

I am a liberal, I hate poverty. But liberalism in it's true sense doesn't really mean big government, I think people, towns, and citys should be more self sufficient and federal expansion should be reversed- as well as the centralized corporate economy being countered with more localized production.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

You don't get it. YOU may not see any problem, but black people in this country are and have been living in a world of discrimination every day.
Stop buying into that crap! YOU don't get it!! Why did previous generations of black American find great success then???? WE HAVE A BLACK POTUS!!!!

Ever heard of Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Michael Steele, Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain, Thomas Sowell, Martin Luther King, Eric Holder, the NBA, NFL, etc, etc, etc…I don't hear excuses from ANY prominent black Americans!!

Stop making excuses! You’re feeding the trolls in Washington and the MSM!!

edit on 19-7-2013 by seabag because: Eric Holder! LOL

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You forgot Eric Holder.

The point remains valid none the less.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Wouldn't your time be better served answering on things this like:

Benghazi ?
IRS Spying?
Holder being in contempt?
NSA Spying?
Gun running to Mexico that has killed thousands of the people who you are currently trying to legalize in one breathe and turn them in to a Mata Hari in another breathe.

Or Aaron Hernandez?
Kobe Bryant being ready for preseason?
Johnny Football being dismissed from Manning's camp?
Best dressed at the ESPYs?

Because Obama is not accountable regarding the items you listed. Hell, he hears about important issues at the same time we do and from the same outlets we do... the MSM.

Never forget - Obama is, at best, a useful idiot

This is analogous to obama in terms of REAL (presidential) issues:

Oh, come on, that was funny!!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It's equally amazing to me that otherwise smart people can't see the disparate reality young African-American males still face and that the Zimmerman/Martin case has everything to do with that reality.

It's also amazing to me that anonymous people on the internet, many of whom are otherwise very smart people, mock and dismiss this reality and couch their disdain and contempt for the issue in coded language and then have the nerve to accuse others of being race baiters - yet these same people would likely not profess such distasteful views in public with their name attached to it.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Race relations are worse now than they have ever been in my life and I am in my fifties. I Lived thru the 60s and 70s in Atlanta during MLK days. Too bad he is only making things worse. He is too stupid to realize it and thinks he is making things better.....Blacks need to realize that MLK was republican and so was Abraham Lincoln. It was the democrats that wanted slavery..funny how blacks think opposite now.........very, very sad.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

You don't get it. YOU may not see any problem, but black people in this country are and have been living in a world of discrimination every day.

I am quite sure a lot of us "get it" but at the end of the day.....so what. Yes, they face discrimination but instead of using it as a crutch as to why they can't do anything shrug it off, work hard and make something of yourself / support your community as being a role model. Society has come a long way, yes there will still be racism but nothing like it used to be.

The African American community needs to stop talking and start doing. Face their problems, like the black on black crime, the lack of parenting / single moms.....the glorification of the gangsta culture.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I just read this story and have to say, it makes me literally sick to my stomach. I do not get this mentality, and I feel like HE is the one who is racist...against WHITES and has found himself in a position of power, and is stirring a very dangerous pot that can and will ONLY divide this country even MORE!!! The comment on the Martin/Zimmerman case was RIDICULOUS and WRONG!!!!!!

[url=http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com...]

Obama also suggested that the outcome of the case could have been different if Martin were white. "If a white male teen would have been involved in this scenario," he said, "both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different."

He is basically calling for all African Americans to PROTEST the verdict without coming right out and saying so. He is contradictory in all his comments... the man is speaking out of both sides of his FACE!!!!! It was bad enough when he said Trayvon could have been his son, in what world I ask??? In what world would any child of HIS be walking around at night in a neighborhood with enough crime that a neighborhood watch had to be formed, and the residents FEARED for their lives and the safety of their homes and families???

Obviously, there was evidence and information that the public hasn't received from the media, that the Jurors received which caused them to BELIEVE this was not a MURDER, rather self defense!!! For someone to say that if a WHITE youth had been walking home that night and BEHAVED in the same manner, the outcome of the trial would have been different is a RACIST statement?????? The only thing that would have been different about this mess if Trayvon were white would be the MEDIA'S COVERAGE, or lack of... and the fact the president wouldn't have made a SINGLE comment on the state's verdict-EVER!!!!

Listen, I've talked about it before on this site, and I'll say it again.. I've been a victim of a crime and after that I feared for my safety and I don't care if a African american man,youth or WOMAN came into my home and I feared for my life, or if they attacked me on the street outside my home and I felt I may be injured or killed by them... I would SHOOT! Same thing goes for a WHITE man, youth, or woman doing the EXACT SAME THING!!!! It's the person's behavior and my perceived THREAT, or what I feel is there INTENT to harm me or my children that would cause them to be SHOT... NOTHING ELSE, ESPECIALLY not their race!

link   

Originally posted by seabagWE HAVE A BLACK POTUS!!!!

That is the entire point for the disillusion many feel regarding this issue.

We have a black POTUS and yet so many young African-American boys and men still cannot go about their daily lives, minding their own business without being profiled.

If you don't get it, fine, consider yourself privileged and try to have some empathy.

SM2

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

They likely come from years of liberal policies that pander to minorities to buy votes.

You're wrong. They come from personal experience.

reply to post by seabag

There wouldn't be many racial tensions if people would take personal responsibility for themselves and their children. Act right, raise your kids right and stop bringing up race then there will be no problem!!

You don't get it. YOU may not see any problem, but black people in this country are and have been living in a world of discrimination every day. You don't see it so you don't think it's there and you don't care. When the truth is brought out into the light of day, and people start talking about it, you rant and rave, demanding that it be swept back under the rug. NOT talking about race is not going to make everything OK. Maybe it will be OK for you, but it won't be OK for the 13% of the population that live under discrimination every day.

Just to be clear, I think Zimmerman profiled Trayvon because of his skin color. He suspects black people. I don't think he's evil or wicked. He's human. I think HOW this case developed indicates racial issues that must be addressed. You can deny it all you want, but that won't make it go away.

edit on 7/19/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

I Think you are just as racists as the POTUS. Black people already enjoy more than one leg up on the competition in most things. Let's look at all the black only organizations for a minute.

The congressional black caucus, NAACP, The Rainbow Coalition, The Nation of Islam, The New Black Panther Party, The United Negro College Fund, and on and on and on. How are those groups not labled hate groups ? If they were white only groups they would be? But it is fine if the skin tone is darker? Double standard much? This is a huge part of the reason there are still racial tensions. As a white person, I get pretty steamed when I see the Black Congressional Caucus trying to pressure people to press civil rights violations on a man found innocent by a jury. That is the racists act. They Just can not let it go and the whole time they keep referring to him as white, which is total BS. Why dont we have a white congressional caucus pressuring the administration to outlaw all the racial separatist organizations that hide behind the fictional "social justice" or "progressive" labels.

On a personal note, I enjoy all ethnicities, I believe they add vibrancy to America by blending their culture with ours. What I hate is one group of people wanting to get special treatment because of their skin color, no matter what color it is. Until people realize that the NAACP and other organizations of their ilk are nothing more than racial hate groups just like the KKK they will still be around stirring the pot and making otherwise sensible people into racists.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by seabagWE HAVE A BLACK POTUS!!!!

That is the entire point for the disillusion many feel regarding this issue.

We have a black POTUS and yet so many young African-American boys and men still cannot go about their daily lives, minding their own business without being profiled.

If you don't get it, fine, consider yourself privileged and try to have some empathy.

All of us are aware of crime statistics with young black males - those statistics will effect how we view them. Regardless of "how things should be" we have to deal with things as they are.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Funny thing, I was about to say I’ve effectively chased every person with an opposing opinion from this thread! I would have made a great community agitator or civil rights leader! I have a lot in common with those people! We make a lot of noise and nobody can stand listening to us!!

Then you responded……

It's equally amazing to me that otherwise smart people can't see the disparate reality young African-American males still face and that the Zimmerman/Martin case has everything to do with that reality.
Explain how we have a black POTUS and millions of successful black Americans if things are so bad. I’ve already stated that the problem lies in all of us – the family unit. No legislation in the world is going to change people….no presidential speech is going to fix things…people must change themselves and raise their children right.

It's also amazing to me that anonymous people on the internet, many of whom are otherwise very smart people, mock and dismiss this reality and couch their disdain and contempt for the issue in coded language and then have the nerve to accuse others of being race baiters - yet these same people would likely not profess such distasteful views in public with their name attached to it.
I don’t feel my views are distasteful in the least! As a matter of fact, my views are fairly mainstream. I don’t hide behind white guilt and vote with my heart (emotions). I vote for what’s best for ALL people rather than particular races (including my own). Furthermore, I live what I say! I have two beautiful children who don’t even realize the concept of racial difference.
I say what I mean and mean what I say.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

You are still not getting it.

***DISPARATE IMPACT***

Within the Justice system Black males are more likely to be targeted by LEO. They are less likely to be able to afford an adequate defense. They are more likely to be convicted of crimes they did not commit. They are more likely to receive stiffer sentences. They are less likely to get paroled.

It is systemic.

The Zimmerman verdict condones profiling and more - it makes it more likely for Black males to be the victim of a citizen who argues Stand Your Ground just because they profiled and claim fear for their life.
edit on 7/19/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join