It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Tasting MREs or Dehydrated Meals?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Make your own and dehydrate. Though the same ingredients that preserve...like salt may just be what you are trying to avoid.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I've been researching this a lot for BOBs. I currently use a few cans of stew, but if I could find some really good decent Dehydrated meals, it'd be less pack weight. Just need a few meals in there.

So far, Packit Gourmet seems to have the best reviews. Just wondering if any here have tried many, and liked them. The few I've tried are food, but nothing over the cans of beef stew tastewise.

These look darn tasty though (and can cook in their bag)
www.packitgourmet.com...

I get my freeze dry from Costco. They beat the price of the actual manufacture's web prices. MREs suck over all and are heavy compared to freeze dry. Freeze dry have 25 plus years of shelf life while MREs are well under 10 years. MREs are not very healthy with tons of sodium and about 5000 cal per MRE.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
i was sent upon request one of those (very expensive) meal for 6 packages from a big-name food storage.shelf life providers....

the package i received was about as flavorful as the much less expensive, 'house brand' type of rice or noodle with sauce package in a milar pouch...

i'm talking a 'store-brand' for 99 cents that serves 3 portions (just add water)
versus a $9.00 package that serves 6 portions (just add water)

im thinking i dont need a 12 year shelf-life for a cost of $9.oo (or $7 more than two packs of 99 cent stuff)

'let the buyer beware'

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i was sent upon request one of those (very expensive) meal for 6 packages from a big-name food storage.shelf life providers....

the package i received was about as flavorful as the much less expensive, 'house brand' type of rice or noodle with sauce package in a milar pouch...

i'm talking a 'store-brand' for 99 cents that serves 3 portions (just add water)
versus a $9.00 package that serves 6 portions (just add water)

im thinking i dont need a 12 year shelf-life for a cost of $9.oo (or $7 more than two packs of 99 cent stuff)

'let the buyer beware'

I looked into these as well.
Most of them are dehydrated (not freeze dried) and require a lot of cooking time to reconstitute.
The extra fuel required will be even more than cooking fresh food.
Most of it is available very inexpensively.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

When I was in the Army we would sell our soul for the bbq pork and rice. I would wrestle my 98 year-old grandfather for that MRE.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Sounds decent.

Since I'll already have the materials to cook though, I won't need all the stuff that comes with a standard MRE. So, the Mountain House freeze dried options are at least worth a try, especially since I don't have to wait for them to ship.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I run my dehydrator at least once a week,so I've got plenty of veggies ready.I like to buy the pasta or rice side dish pouches,then add a cup or so of veggies.Stretchs out the servings,and adds more vitamins.Cheap and easy

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join