It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright, I admit it. I have a problem. Advice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Monster.

I. Love. Monster.

I've been working out every day, lost a BUNCH of inches, and I'm looking hard-core. I feel fantastic.

I LOOK fantastic.

I look almost exactly like my avatar now.

But, I think I have a problem.

I rarely eat. In fact, sitting here typing in the middle of the night, I just realized I haven't eaten today.

I'm going low-carb, and been replacing my meals with Monster.

The energy drink, Monster. Particularly the Java flavored ones.

At first, I had one a day... because usually, I'm very iffy about substances, and I never wanted to rely on any substance to get me through (ha, ironic).

Then, one day, I realized I was drinking three or four of them a day.

Don't get me wrong, everything else about this is awesome. I'm whipping into shape, planning for my future, almost ready to start adulthood. I just turned 20.

But now, I'm worried.

Even now, I'm drinking a Monster. I'm about to finish it off.

I've never had an addiction before, and I never had any desire for drugs or alcohol.

But I can't start the day without a Monster.

And lately, I've been getting extremely light-headed and having strange dreams...

My family and friends are worried about my *addiction* (like they have any room to talk, all of them does one drug or another, smokes, drinks, pops pain pills for fun, etc etc)...

I used to eat a LOT. Now, I almost never eat, and it feels WONDERFUL.

I feel like I could run a mile right now. Working out doesn't wear me out anymore.

Now, I just have a substance dependency tagging along for the ride.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm not asking anyone around me for help.

My inner circle isn't entirely reliable for that sort of thing...

Although they're very good at I told you so...

So... just wondering, ATS.

WHAT is this stuff actually made of? And how should I kick the habit?

Juuuuuust curious.

edit on 18-7-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Kick it cold turkey. Energy drinks are some of the worst stuff you can put in your body. There is no law on how much caffeine an energy drink can have, so that's probably what you're addicted to. (Or just check the label for specifics.)

Drinking 4 a day is tight-rope walking if you asked me.

I had a Monster once before class. I never felt sicker in all my life, and I've tried chemotherapy!

The main stimulants in Monster are caffeine and panax ginseng root extract. Caffeine is one of the most common stimulants found in tea, coffee, chocolate and many other food and beverages. It is usually present in energy drinks at a concentration of around 160mg per 16oz of drink. Ginseng root is thought to be a nutritional stimulant with other therapeutic effects. Guarana seed is also included in the recipe. Guarana beans have a high concentration of caffeine, however the stimulating effects may differ from that of coffee.

engobi.com...

edit on 18-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Kick it cold turkey. Energy drinks are some of the worst stuff you can put in your body. There is no law on how much caffeine an energy drink can have, so that's probably what you're addicted to. (Or just check the label for specifics.)

I had a Monster once before class. I never felt sicker in all my life, and I've tried chemotherapy!

Damn, I just bought like eight of them.

That's why I like the Javas... Cappachino flavored. Oh ~Yummy happiness~

Well... I guess I'll have to do it.

If I can kick an anti-depressant cold turkey, I can quit this.

I can't imagine the withdrawls... oh dear lord... I already have a headache.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Your poor kidneys!

Oh yeah then there was this.

The reports were released under the Freedom of Information Act as part of a lawsuit filed by the mother of a 14-year-old Maryland girl who died in December after allegedly drinking two large cans of the hyper-caffeinated beverage. The official autopsy for the girl said the death was from "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity."

Monster, of course, is denying any blame.

gawker.com...

Everything in moderation

edit on 18-7-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Your poor kidneys!

What does Monster do to your kidneys?

EDIT; Yeah, I know people have died from energy drinks.

But that's because they drink more than one at a time, which is INCREDIBLY stupid.

Still... the way I drink em now, I'm treading on thin ice...

I need something to traumatize me out of this. Seriously.

The reason I rarely eat now is because I learned what kind of toxins and GMOs our foods are made of, and I'm afraid to eat it now.

I need something to scare me away from Monster. That'll do the trick.

edit on 18-7-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Well you know; caffeine can cause kidney and renal damage, as well as taurine and sugar you know?

And you are basically binge drinking these things and depriving yourself of real nutrients from actual food.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

You're afraid of GMOs, so you starve yourself and live off Monster energy drinks?

I'm sorry, I seem to have overestimated my level of interest in this thread.

Be well, take care, good luck

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

You're afraid of GMOs, so you starve yourself and live off Monster energy drinks?

Be well, take care.

Yeah thats a bit whack on the thinking, I mean c'mon its monster energy drink, mass produced big business honey boo boo go go juice basically.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
A casual energy drink won't kill you, but abusing any substance is going to have a negative impact on your health in the long run. As another poster said, be wary of your caffeine intake, because you can get addicted. Besides this, the amount of sugar they put in energy drinks is insane.

Just keep an eye out for your heart health.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

If I can kick an anti-depressant cold turkey, I can quit this.

I can't imagine the withdrawls... oh dear lord... I already have a headache.

Drink one less each day than you had the day before. Replace them with water or green tea or anything without sugar or artificial sweeteners.

When you get down to one a day then cut that in half for a few days then quit.

Keeps you from having withdrawal and lethargy.

I've worked my way off of sodas and energy drinks. I was addicted to both.
The key is to replace them with something healthier so it's not just a dead stop and feeling so bad you start back up.

Green tea, roobios, black tea, hibiscus, and even coffee are better than the chemical drinks.

You might try adding breakfast with some protein and a small snack that's healthy here or there.
Apples are actually better for waking up than coffee.
Good luck

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
and just to add a twist here is a link to an occultic undertone of the monster logo
www.hoax-slayer.com...

Make of it what you will and judge the contents of the information for yourself.
I am in no way suggesting anything just showing you something I found interesting about that energy drink.

Health wise, a good looking dead body is a good looking dead body only for a short time.
Kick the stuff and eat healthy, live longer.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
double post, oops
edit on 18-7-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I used to down a few monsters a day while at work a few years ago. After a couple months of that, it all caught up with me one day. I believe I had 3 in me after a course of a few hours.

Im not sure what type of reaction (or overdose) it's called, but basically, my skin started to get dark red and itchy. I got pretty hardcore tunnel vision/dizziness and had difficulty breathing. Massive sweating also. Very horrible experience.

After that day, I drink energy drinks very rarely. I would guess on average, I have 1 can of Red Bull every 2 weeks. (I don't buy them, it's just when the guys at work have extra they don't want).

*I also have no clue how much damage I did to my body after those months of constant monster drinking*

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Be well, take care, good luck

Well... I'm not starving. I'm eating low carb.

And since nearly everything is carb-ridden, I just don't eat much.

As for Monster, well... some recent *life* events have made it hard to get through the day, including that my fiance is miles and miles away from me, and I never see him. Among other things.

I've lost weight, gained muscle, and if I'm not mistaken, my insomnia is starting to fade away...

In fact, this "Monster" problem is the only negative side effect of my recent life choices, and I hadn't realized I had a problem until earlier today... but beyond that, I think I'm doing pretty damn good.

To everyone else, thank you so, SO much for taking the time to reply.

I'll look into everything posted. Very much thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
I used to down a few monsters a day while at work a few years ago. After a couple months of that, it all caught up with me one day. I believe I had 3 in me after a course of a few hours.

Im not sure what type of reaction (or overdose) it's called, but basically, my skin started to get dark red and itchy. I got pretty hardcore tunnel vision/dizziness and had difficulty breathing. Massive sweating also. Very horrible experience.

After that day, I drink energy drinks very rarely. I would guess on average, I have 1 can of Red Bull every 2 weeks. (I don't buy them, it's just when the guys at work have extra they don't want).

*I also have no clue how much damage I did to my body after those months of constant monster drinking*

Yeah... that sounds like an overdose. I've had em before.

You weren't doing anything active, were you?

If you're engaging in physical activity while experiencing a stimulant overdose, that's usually what triggers the *shut down* ... especially for energy drink consumers. That's how some energy drink victims have died, that along with taking two or three at once...

That being said, I DO, in fact, realize that I have no room to talk.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Do NOT drink that many energy drinks every day all the time. I used to down a liter mountain dew every day and an energy drink an alternating day and began to exhibit symptoms of Pancreatitis. I've since cut back but am having even more problems now and am seeing a doctor first thing in the morning to check for problems as something isn't right and it occurred from alcohol one day and an energy drink the next. Watch your sugar intake or you'll regret it later. You're not only damaging your kidneys but also your pancreas and you kind of NEED that.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

1) But I can't start the day without a Monster.

2) And lately, I've been getting extremely light-headed and having strange dreams...

3) My family and friends are worried about my *addiction* (like they have any room to talk, all of them does one drug or another, smokes, drinks, pops pain pills for fun, etc etc)...

4) I used to eat a LOT. Now, I almost never eat, and it feels WONDERFUL.

Those 4 thoughts are very worrisome. I'm an alcoholic, tried quitting a few times. I eat breakfast. I don't drink when I wake up. I don't get light headed. I eat FOOD. I know alcohol removes nutrients and water from my system and caffeine does a similar thing being a diuretic.

Being lightheaded was something that happened to my brother. He was living on coca cola. His blood sugar was too low since he was eating all sugar for energy... This is BAD..

Please stop drinking that so much..

You could try "alternative energy." It's an energy drink that can be hard to find.. It works wonders and doesn't have all the sugar and caffeine that monster has.. It's more powerful, lasts longer, and doesn't feel toxic like the rest..

Star and flag for an important topic. And advice besides reduce your consumption of said drink is to get B vitamins in your system. Eat fruit.. Drink water.. And without protein all your work is wasted.
edit on 7/19/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

You have two problems. One is the addiction to the drinks, and the other is not eating at all. Slim is great, but you have to eat to live. Sensible, nutritious meals, spread out, are what you need. If you rarely eat, of course you are lightheaded! Drop the drinks, with help if you have to, and EAT. Sensibly, but something.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

You realise that you do in fact need some help with this.
Kudos for taking your first step towards good health !

You now need to employ your new found strength and channel that into ...

Won't power !!

( not will power lol )

There is a whole world of healthy fitness regimes out there when, if taken seriously, can keep you moving forward.

As opposed to hitting a wall that you do not really want to face head on.

It is ultimately your choice and your call.

Hope you make a good choice.

edit on 19-7-2013 by Timely because: No really !

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thanks, guys. I think quitting just became a lot easier.

Let me explain.

Last night, I couldn't sleep, so I started drinking a Monster. It wasn't the kind of Monster I usually drink--it was white, and contained zero calories, zero sugar, etc etc... when I saw it in the store, I thought; Fantastic! I can fit Monster into a low carb diet!

Nope.

It was the nastiest thing I'd ever ingested... it made me feel sicker than coconut rum ever did.

And that's saying something.

I tried eating to settle my stomach, had a little chunk of lasagna... but I made the mistake of eating it while watching the documentary Wake-up call, remastered edition.

I finished the lasagna off right when I saw colored footage of JFK's brains being blown out.

Never felt sicker in my life.

Needless to say... I'm not really craving Monster right now like I usually am.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply, guys.

edit on 19-7-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join