It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man’s Defense Against Gun Charge: ‘I Did What Joe Biden Told Me to Do’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

A Washington man who fired his shotgun into the air to scare away alleged car prowlers pleaded not guilty on Wednesday, citing Vice President Joe Biden’s questionable gun advice as the reason he took that specific action

Jeffery Barton, 52, of Vancouver, Wash., is charged with one count of illegal aiming or discharging a firearm. He was arraigned in Clark County Court on Wednesday.

Source

So this guy:

Barton admitted to firing his weapon in the air while chasing away people he thought were breaking into his vehicles early Monday morning, according to law enforcement officials

Barton has a shotgun that thing Biden told people to buy instead of other things fired his gun up in the air, and that is 'illegally aiming' a gun?

Hell aiming it at a person is also 'illegal'.

Yo Barton didn't anyone tell you in case of prowlers your suppose to dial 9-11 and hide underneath the coffee table so the police will come save you?

Barton: 'But,but,but Biden told me I should get a shotgun!'

Neo: 'Biden told you to get a shotgun?'

Barton 'Yes.'

Neo: 'And you fired it in the air?'

Barton 'Yes.'

Neo : 'You got arrested?

Barton: YES!'

Neo : ' You should ask the judge if Biden can be arrested for shooting off his mouth'.

Barton:

Gun owners are damned if they do damn if they don't obviously people shouldn't be listening to anything Biden or any other politician says.

edit on 17-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Regardless of anything Biden may have said...ignorance of the law is no excuse; this is a legal standard upheld by the SCOTUS.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

“[S]heriff’s deputies told KOIN 6 News Wednesday that current law does not afford people the right to just fire off their gun. There must be a self-defense component, along with a life-threatening situation — none of which appeared to be the case here, they said,” KOIN-TV reports.

So warning shot's are no longer acceptable in today's world.

That is a messed up law who are the 'ignorant' ones I ask.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

In all fairness, warning shots have never been legal in a city that I know of. It's reckless or illegal discharge of a firearm if nothing else at all. Warning shots as a practical thing of course are generally insane.

Though to play devil's advocate here, I'm not sure why firing a shotgun into the air with something like bird shot ought to be when you think about it. Whats the worst that will do? Feel like annoyingly solid rain as it comes back down?

This is an interesting argument. He won't win unless the judge has a wry sense of humor or something, but it's a fair point for public statements. The President and Vice President do not have "personal" opinions for those 4-8 years outside what may be said in their private residences, IMO. Everything they say can and/or will carry the weight ranging from very advisable suggestions to outright policy, depending on circumstance and who is listening.

Biden has the brains of a blowfly and needs the reminder to moderate himself.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Funny.

Government always claims to do the will of the people... that's how they justify their buffoonery...

This guy did the will of a government official (a high-ranking official)... and is arrested for buffoonery...

I'm calling "shenanigans"...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous.

The guys property was under threat perhaps even more. Taking the high road he fires a warning shot into the air as apposed to AT the perpetrators.
I agree firing off rounds into the air for fun is wrong, but if its for the purpose of defense I think its justified. IMO

Here is something from a few days ago:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison. Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.
Thread Link.

So, someones personal safety is potentially in danger and they fire a warning shot and get 20 years in prison. Where is the logic here?
Far better off to just shoot and kill the assailant and get the same amount or maybe even less time in jail.

What if you were to pump a round into the lawn right in front of you where there is no chance of falling buckshot or lead and someone getting hurt?

Sorry, but I DGAF what the law says when it comes to my personal safety or that of my property. Far as I'm concerned, when you decide to invade my property with the intent to steal, do harm or even worse, you're aware of the risks, and I WILL make you pay.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Warning shots haven't been a good idea since ammo has been too hard
to find.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Biden told people to fire a shotgun at the door as stated in this ATS thread:
ATS ---Biden and shotgun

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
He should have had some rock salt rounds or bean bag rounds loaded in first then he could have either shot them or maybe got off from the court by telling them it was non lethal.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by neo96

Biden told people to fire a shotgun at the door as stated in this ATS thread:
ATS ---Biden and shotgun

According to the law that is still illegal.

As it has to have a 'self defense component'.

He would still have gotten charged with 'recklessly discharging' a gun as can't see behind a door so no 'verifiable' threat;

As they see it.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In all fairness, warning shots have never been legal in a city that I know of. It's reckless or illegal discharge of a firearm if nothing else at all. Warning shots as a practical thing of course are generally insane.

Contrary to lawmakers I don't see warning shots as 'reckless' the gun owner is fully aware of the harm a weapon can do to someone else.

A choice not to do harm, but intends to change the nature of the encounter to discourage any further aggression.

Pretty much how the Coast Guard has the 'right' to fire warning shots.
edit on 17-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Granted, this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer... however... The VICE PRESIDENT got on television and told the American people to do EXACTLY what he did: fire a shotgun in the air to scare the bad guys off. Biden doesn't have the good sense to keep his mouth shut- but the media did take his remarks and run with them...

Is this guy truly a moron? Or does he believe 100% of what he sees on television (along with about 80% of the rest of the population)...

IMHO if the VP opens his mouth and makes really stupid recommendations to people... and they are dumb enough to follow his advice, then the VP should bear the burden of criminal liability.

If the courts fine him, he should send the bill to Biden...

edit on 17-7-2013 by madmac5150 because: Caffeine induced cranial clarity

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well i believe there is a lot of legal work the public needs to do to ensure that the kind of insane sentencing for crimes without a bleeding or harmed victim, like 20 years, like even 1 year, doing time instead of counseling and bracelet say, needs to be overhauled ASAP.

I would never allow them to target people and put unbelievable hellish sentences on them.

Its up to people to stop this.

And some may answer to after death by not progressing, some may have to live through all this stuff, no one is off the hook.
edit on 17-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Use this to scare off the bad guy and call the cops with the same shot.

12 GAUGE WHISTLE
THESE CARTRIDGES LIFT A PROJECTILE THAT EMITS AN EAR-PIERCING SCREAM TO AN AVERAGE ALTITUDE OF 600 FEET. THESE CARTRIDGES ARE DESIGNED TO WARD OFF PREDATORS SUCH AS DEER, FOX AND DOGS ON PROTECTED PROPERTY/FARM LANDS

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

A whistle with an ear-piercing scream...hum! If someone used such
a whistle like this and caused someone to go deaf,I know that lawsuits
would be filed against the person using this whistle.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
Here is something from a few days ago:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison. Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.
Thread Link.

So, someones personal safety is potentially in danger and they fire a warning shot and get 20 years in prison. Where is the logic here?

If you read and understood that thread you would know.

The woman concerned had a history of violence, she went away, got a weapon and then came back - there was no "stand you ground" or "self defence" there!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I stand corrected. It was more of a skimming though issue rather than a lack of understanding but thank you for clarifying.

Still though, I don't believe someone should be prosecuted so heavily for firing a warning shot.
Barring instances where its not really justified or someone gets hurt as a result.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I guess I just have a real different view on gunfire in populated areas for any reason. Warning shots being strictly unnecessary for life or defense, it makes them extremely reckless, IMO. I'm always amazed by the video that occasionally plays of some machine gun crew overseas firing an extended string with tracers every few rounds.

(For people unfamiliar with guns, the light machine guns like an M-60 aren't "special" like a .50 caliber. They're basically just 30-06, which is basically, .308, which is basically AK-47 rounds people have for home defense, too. The comparison actually is apt for how they behave)

It shows just how wild those rounds go sometimes when they hit something downrange. All kinds of weird directions ..and often enough to see happen to be very aware of it for even a single round fired, IMO..

I think it's different out in the country where you may be on a few acres and you fire that warning shot into your own ground....but then, that's often not city and legal to shoot anyway. Hence, the difference. How many places can you spot, just randomly (as crime never happens on schedule) and immediately pick a safe place to fire a bullet at? (I.E. warning shot).

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Biden also suggested people shoot through doors. Cant wait to see if that advice gets a courtroom test.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Sometimes I wonder if discharging a firearm in an urban area is some form of roulette. We are seeing a range of decisions prosecutors are making as to how the charge people.

Although the police can spray bullets every where, a stray bullet from average citizen will probably get him some charges. That pretty well shuts down the warning shot in my mind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join