It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man’s Defense Against Gun Charge: ‘I Did What Joe Biden Told Me to Do’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

What fails here is 'illegal firing a gun in the air'

That makes no distinction between loads.

Be it rock salt
Be it non lethal
Be it birshot
Be it 00 buck.

Considering a projectile fired from a weapon does not fall back to the ground at the same rate it was fired.

Who cares though right just take pot shots and posters because god forbid they expressed an opinion on anything.
edit on 18-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Care to give me some actual facts on the Odds of getting killed by a falling bullet, compared to car accidents, or anything else that can kill or be used in killing?

Thanks.

Sure.

Care to get me the statistics of how many people shoot bullets into the air and how many bullets they shoot, and then the statistics of how many people own automobiles and how often they drive them? I'd be glad to crunch those numbers for you.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

What fails here is 'illegal firing a gun in the air'

That makes no distinction between loads.

Be it rock salt
Be it non lethal
Be it birshot
Be it 00 buck.

Considering a projectile fired from a weapon does not fall back to the ground at the same rate it was fired.

Who cares though right just take pot shots and posters because god forbid they expressed an opinion on anything.

Again, ammo discharged into the air falls at speeds greater than terminal velocity, and has the potential to be deadly. Nothing really needs to be said beyond that.

A responsible gun owner should be aware of this.

edit on 18-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I thought you had ALL the info handy.....?

And yes, a responsible gun owner should know, as Joe Biden should know too. Right?

You did see what he said about AR-15's and shotguns..........

Edit to add:

“You know, they make fun of my saying about use a shotgun if someone’s invading your home – guess what, use a shotgun on someone invading your home and you don’t kill your kids – use an AR-15, it goes through your wall and it can kill your kid in the bedroom” ~ Biden

edit on 18-7-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

LOL.

Again, ammo discharged into the air falls at speeds greater than terminal velocity, and has the potential to be deadly. Nothing really needs to be said beyond that.

Er.

Bullets fired STRAIGHT (at a 90 degree angle to the ground) into the air usually fall back at terminal velocity, speeds much lower than those at which they leave the barrel of a firearm.

Yep nothing does need to be said after that.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

LOL.

Er.

Bullets fired STRAIGHT (at a 90 degree angle to the ground) into the air usually fall back at terminal velocity, speeds much lower than those at which they leave the barrel of a firearm.

Yep nothing does need to be said after that.

Thanks for reposting what I literally already posted less than 10 minutes ago. I guessed you missed this incredible important sentence by "accident," so I'll refresh your memory:

Bullets fired other than exactly vertical are more dangerous, as the bullet maintains its angular ballistic trajectory, is far less likely to engage in tumbling motion, and so travels at a speed much higher than its terminal velocity would be in a purely vertical fall.

Bullets fired other than exactly vertical ... travel(s) at a speed much higher than its terminal velocity would be in a purely vertical fall.

Bullets fired other than exactly vertical ... travel(s) at a speed much higher than its terminal velocity would be in a purely vertical fall.

I know you miss large sections of what people post sometimes, so I'm reiterating within the same post to make sure you see.

LOL

(Predicted rebut: "Well he shot them straight into the air, so someone should be out there checking the predicted trajectory of the gunshot. What's truly fail is the fact that gun laws don't include bullet trajectory.")

edit on 18-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

I thought you had ALL the info handy.....?

And yes, a responsible gun owner should know, as Joe Biden should know too. Right?

You did see what he said about AR-15's and shotguns..........

Edit to add:

“You know, they make fun of my saying about use a shotgun if someone’s invading your home – guess what, use a shotgun on someone invading your home and you don’t kill your kids – use an AR-15, it goes through your wall and it can kill your kid in the bedroom” ~ Biden

edit on 18-7-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

Yep. I said I had all the statistical information ever known at my disposal, accessible within minutes. Totally forgot that I said/implied that.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

shooting wildly into the air is just as dangerous as shooting randomly into a house. Presenting a shotgun will tend to send thieves running to begin with, unless his life was in danger, he had no reason or right to discharge the firearm.

Biden didn't tell him to shoot wildly into the air.

He had a reason!

Biden said it was acceptable behavior. Biden didn’t specify the setting (urban or rural) or what type of load (watch from min 1:00).

“…if there’s ever a problem just walk out on the balcony put that double barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house….”

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

“[S]heriff’s deputies told KOIN 6 News Wednesday that current law does not afford people the right to just fire off their gun. There must be a self-defense component, along with a life-threatening situation — none of which appeared to be the case here, they said,” KOIN-TV reports.

So warning shot's are no longer acceptable in today's world.

That is a messed up law who are the 'ignorant' ones I ask.

What is more messed up is when ignorance takes hold and digs it's claws in. When you have no idea what you are talking about it is better to say nothing. Especially when it comes to dangerous things.

Biden is a idiot. Ask yourself this should you be able to see your target? Is that target a life and death threat? What is beyond that target in case you miss? If you fire in the air is gravity going to bring the bullet back to earth? If you fire at the ground could that bullet ricochet?

I wonder how Biden and this poster would answer these questions. Progressives live a fairy land and when it comes to life and death things can not be trusted. The progressive world is filled with leprechauns pooping out rainbows made of unicorns.
edit on 18-7-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

What is more messed up is when ignorance takes hold and digs it's claws in. When you have no idea what you are talking about it is better to say nothing. Especially when it comes to dangerous things.

I agree Biden shouldn't when he has no idea what he is talking about or law makers that have no idea of what they are talking about.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpy
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's called a ham sandwich, you take them out, put your throw away gun(ham sandwich) in there hand and pull the trigger. Cops do it all the time in the cities. It produces GSR on them. They run the ham sandwich is comes back bogus. Your just saving your family from a murdering, rapist psychopath.

Well, that is certainly another way of handling a sticky situation. I'd certainly hope it's just a matter of circumstance and not outright shooting an innocent person ..but assuming someone came in attacking and just didn't look threatening "enough"? There is a wild rumor I've heard among cops for years that bloody surfaces are near impossible to pull clear prints from too. You know.... Knife handles ... gun handles ...

Of course, if you go dropping a gun in someone's hand ..just remember to have loaded the magazine without using bare fingers.
The devil is in the details.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous.

The guys property was under threat perhaps even more. Taking the high road he fires a warning shot into the air as apposed to AT the perpetrators.
I agree firing off rounds into the air for fun is wrong, but if its for the purpose of defense I think its justified. IMO

Here is something from a few days ago:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison. Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.
Thread Link.

So, someones personal safety is potentially in danger and they fire a warning shot and get 20 years in prison. Where is the logic here?
Far better off to just shoot and kill the assailant and get the same amount or maybe even less time in jail.

What if you were to pump a round into the lawn right in front of you where there is no chance of falling buckshot or lead and someone getting hurt?

Sorry, but I DGAF what the law says when it comes to my personal safety or that of my property. Far as I'm concerned, when you decide to invade my property with the intent to steal, do harm or even worse, you're aware of the risks, and I WILL make you pay.

The problem with shooting guns into the air, warning shot, celebratory shot, intentional shot, or otherwise, is that when something goes up, per the rules of physics, it must come down. Sometimes it even comes down on top of another person, killing him or her. This is why it's illegal to fire a warning shot, because you're responsible for anyone who gets hurt from the outcome.

As for the woman who shot the wall to fend off her husband, the reason that she got jail time is because there were children on the other side of that wall, and by shooting a gun she technically endangered their lives. It's not so black and white, and while I agree that it's unjust, the local DA's office seems to disagree. Anyways, her case has drawn publicity and she may make some leeway in her upcoming appeal, or so one would hope.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
No problem no gun fire.
I will just set my thundermug cannon on the roof with a electric squib wired down to my claymore clacker.

Top the black powder charge with magnesium dust and it will light up the sky for miles.
www.youtube.com...

The trespasser will be cleaning out his pants from this Marine Signaling Device.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
First I want to say that Biden is an idiot!!
But then most of us know that.

I have two large problems with firing a warning shot into the air.

1. What goes up must come down. I think when you start discussing the possibility of harming ANYONE in an accidental shooting, you can't claim innocence if you knew the risk beforehand.

2. You have just made yourself an open target....great idea. The suspect now knows that you have a gun and unless they saw your hand go in the air, they don't know that you didn't shoot at them. Who is to say that the kid who would have run away isn't now going to turn in shoot you to keep you from shooting at him again?

I think that anyone who has access to a gun should be mandated to take gun safety classes. I really think that many times people just do not understand what they are holding in their hands.
I took a very in depth gun safety class and it taught me the resect and responsibility that comes with being a lawful gun owner.
edit on 7/18/1313 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So warning shot's are no longer acceptable in today's world. That is a messed up law who are the 'ignorant' ones I ask.

Shooting any gun in the air in a residential area is against the law.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Taking advice from a politician is like taking a cooking class from Hannibal Lector.

It's like getting dieting tips from Michael Moore.

Like getting fashion tips from Lady Gaga.

Like getting boating tips from the captain from the Titanic.

Like getting public speaking tips from a mime.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
If I fire a warning shot, it will be going into a leg, not the air

Of course, I don't fire warning shots, so it is a moot point.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

You have a very valid point there. I have often thought of that as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
If I fire a warning shot, it will be going into a leg, not the air

Of course, I don't fire warning shots, so it is a moot point.

Well, now that sounds reasonable. Blowing someone's leg off with a 12 gauge blast ought to serve as a fair warning and make for a clear conscience for what has to come next if they should continue their poor choice of behavior.

Hmmmm... I like your thinking.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The one time I had to shoot someone, was in an APT, so my defensinve gun was a shotgun with birdshot, or buckshot, I forget. The super assured me I wouldn't have to worry about it going through the stuccu walls and hitting a neighbor. He lived and recovered, but I would hate to be that guy, musta been fun getting all those pellets pulled out that night.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join