It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strip Search Prank Calls, How Does That Happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Im not afraid to say that I am not that up to the minute with movies, but I saw a film last night called Compliance, and WOW! I thought that I had heard of a case like this a while ago, and yes its been a few years (the movie came out in 2012), but my mind was boggled when I saw what I thought was easily common sense go right out the window.

But this isnt about the movie, but about the real life happenings that lead to the movie.

Be prepared to be outraged!

But this isnt even the only case. Here are a few others.

A female McDonald's manager in Leitchfield, Kentucky, was convinced on November 30, 2000 to undress before a customer when the caller persuaded her that the customer was a suspected sex offender and that her serving as bait would permit undercover officers to arrest him when he showed an interest in her

A call to a McDonald's restaurant in Hinesville, Georgia, in February 2003, in which a female manager, who thought she was speaking with a police officer in the presence of the director of operations for the franchisee GWD Management Corporation, took a 19‑year-old female employee into the women's bathroom and strip-searched her, and brought in a 55‑year-old male employee to perform a body cavity search to uncover hidden drugs. McDonald's and franchisee GWD Management Corporation were taken to court over the incident. In 2005 U.S. district judge John F. Nangle granted summary judgment to McDonald's, and denied in part summary judgment to GWD Management Corporation.[3] In 2006, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the decision.

On January 26, 2003, an Applebee's assistant manager victimized a waitress after receiving a collect call from someone who purported to be a regional manager.

On June 3, 2003, a Taco Bell manager in Juneau, Alaska, stripped a 14‑year-old female customer and forced her to perform lewd acts, at the request of a caller who claimed he was working with the company to investigate drug abuse.

In July 2003, a 36‑year-old Winn-Dixie grocery store manager in Panama City, Florida, received a call instructing him to bring a 19‑year-old female cashier, who matched a physical description provided by the caller, into the office for a strip search. The cashier was forced to disrobe and pose in various positions as part of the search. The incident was ended when another manager entered the office to retrieve a set of keys

n March 2004, a 17‑year-old female customer at a Taco Bell in Fountain Hills, Arizona, near Phoenix, was strip-searched by a manager receiving a call from a man claiming to be a police officer.

en.wikipedia.org...

These types of incidents went on for 10 years, YES 10 years.
But is this hasnt enraged you yet...

Here is what happened when the man got caught.

After his arrest, Stewart was extradited to Kentucky to face charges of impersonating a police officer, and solicitation of sodomy. He was not convicted, with both the defense and prosecution attorneys saying that a lack of direct evidence may have affected the jury's decision.

en.wikipedia.org...

So I have to ask ATS, who the hell is at fault for this? The Managers? The Store/Restaurant? The Employee? The Person on the other line?

How is it that we see authority? How do we get to a point where fear is so consuming that we are willing to endanger others, or commit heinous crimes.

After watching this movie (which for graphic scenes I fast forwarded) I made sure to explain to my daughter yet again, that this type of senseless crap happens all the time, and sometimes you have to say NO! I will not comply when you are either the victim, or even the possible person being asked to do what you know isnt right.

This was a huge wake up call, and of course it takes things like this to happen to get people to wake up.... by the way this happened in over 30 states about 70 times.

Share your thoughts.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Education is the only detriment towards excessive or needless crime, we must as a people take responsiblity into account on ourselves as parents. Parents must educate their children on when to submit to authority and which authority is correct.

I grew up with former LE as my father, he always warned me of what could happen in situations and what to avoid if possible.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
From day one people are beaten down.

You're beaten down by your parents, your teachers, your employers, the cops, government bureaucrats, and if you question or resist you're hit with the double whammy of attack and confusion in the form of denial of service and the almighty "because I said so."

It's a wonder anyone has the ability to say "no" anymore after generations of this nonsensical potty training.

When we stopped demanding better than "because I said so", "because it's the law" and "because it's policy" we gave up all self respect.
edit on 17-7-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
That's absurd and naive to say the least It's all those in charge, involved in the acts, need to be held accountable in one degree or another, the one who set it up should fully be held accountable. Indeed it is pretty insane that these continue to go on, as do a lot of fake cops who pray on and attack when pulling them over.

Those suspecting foul intent need to figure out what to do if confronted with such a situation. Try and confirm by police office validation and or badge? However, that's not going to hold back someone whose intent is to sexually violate a person by either instructing someone else act to act it or do it their self. Take it upon yourself, to say no, if it';s a phone call in that situation. Seriously, strip so and so over the phone? Perhaps education on what to look for in those risky situations, especially on the OP case. It should be a expressed in such a video and/or conference in that local area of employment that has had reported cases as such. That as a cautionary measure similar to the "what to do if sexually harassed on the job". I guess that is a start, I do have a eerie suspicion that it goes on way more than reported. Then again the cases seem vague enough for them to continue, maybe local law enforcement could work a a way to inform business to tell their employees, or at least some kind of confirmation.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Saw this a few years back.

Disgusting.

Children and Teens need to be aware that this happens. There is no excuse to listen to "some guy" on the other end of the phone, especially if they are asking someone to disrobe.

Come on.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
When it comes to Strip search, and especially a cavity search
everyone should say NO!!!

I dont think even the police should be allowed to do such things.

If I were to do it, they'd call it rape or something similar, and quite right too. Yet when a policeman does it? suddenly its not abuse anymore, yet the victim will feel just as abused as if it had been a rapist.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
After watching this movie (which for graphic scenes I fast forwarded) I made sure to explain to my daughter yet again, that this type of senseless crap happens all the time, and sometimes you have to say NO! I will not comply when you are either the victim, or even the possible person being asked to do what you know isnt right.

Hiya NoRegrets,

I would probably never take advice from me as a parent person. My track record as a child was pretty bad, too ... I thought tooth paste was candy for at least a year. Advice though ...

I hope you and your daughter don't worry about this all the time. It's not as common as the media portrays. Though I totally agree that teaching your child how to be safe is awesome, I sometimes wonder if all these fears pushed on us by the media have gone too far. I actually remember when I was little having a conversation with my friend about my grand mother's irrational fear of us being snatched by a panel van driver.

Odd thought ... I guess I figured American's fascinations with freedom and rights would make this easier to teach children and teens.

Good luck with your daughter, it's a scary world. >.<
edit on 18-7-2013 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

I think this is more common then is told. I could see lots of corporations quietly settling cases like this, this happens to teens mostly and the workers are getting minimum wages, so settling out of court would seem easiest them telling the world that this happened.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this. More young women need to be aware of preditors even if they are by proxy. The issue at hand is that everyone but the finance and caller were victims but victims of their own ignorance. En mass people tend not to study the laws they must adhere to let alone the laws of those in possitions of authority. Most people allow a lot of horrible things as truth because someone says they have a badge and should be allowed to violate their personal freedom. The best thing we can do as thinkers of our sociaty is to teach those around us how to question and say no.

Noliebean

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Saw this a few years back.

Disgusting.

Children and Teens need to be aware that this happens. There is no excuse to listen to "some guy" on the other end of the phone, especially if they are asking someone to disrobe.

Come on.

And I personally don't know any teen from 13 and up that would comply. They'd tell that particular adult to %$#@ oFF!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Hello posters in this thread, this will be discussed Wednesday at 10 Est, on the newest ATS Live show called Reality Remix.

Join ATS Members SheepSlayer247, Adjensen, NoRegretsEver, Druid42 & Beezer for two hours of their take on threads past and present right here on ATS!

Reality Remix

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
How do we get to a point where fear is so consuming that we are willing to endanger others, or commit heinous crimes.

reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Q: "How do we get to a point where fear is so consuming that we are willing to endanger others, or commit heinous crimes."
A: Milgram Experiment

The Milgram experiment on obedience to authority figures was a series of social psychology experiments conducted by Yale University psychologist Stanley Milgram, which measured the willingness of study participants to obey an authority figure who instructed them to perform acts that conflicted with their personal conscience. Milgram first described his research in 1963 in an article published in the Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology,[1] and later discussed his findings in greater depth in his 1974 book, Obedience to Authority: An Experimental View.
en.wikipedia.org...]Milgram Experiment

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Yes, I am aware of the experiment and it is discussed on the show, my take on this, is that not everyone is aware of this, and though the experiment was many years ago, and with the conflict currently happening with "authority" that this is still happening on such a massive scale.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This thread will be discussed tonight at 10:30 Est tonight on Reality Remix.

Join ATS Members SheepSlayer247, Adjensen, NoRegretsEver, Druid42 & Beezer for two hours of their take on threads past and present right here on ATS!

Reality Remix

top topics

join