It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronal mass ejection heading toward Earth - Canada...Look Out!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Coronal mass ejection heading toward Earth, may spark Northern Lights

globalnews.ca...
Date: July 17, 2013

TORONTO – If the skies are clear the next few nights, Canadians might get a light show.

On July 16, the sun unleashed an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection (CME). A coronal mass ejection, a release of plasma and particles, can eject a billion tons of matter and travel at several million kilometres per hour. This CME should reach Earth on July 18.

When they reach Earth, the particles get trapped in our magnetic field, resulting in Northern Lights. Typically Northern Lights, or aurorae, are visible closer to Earth’s poles. As Canadians, we are in a prime viewing location.

NASA has determined that this CME left the sun at 900 km/s. It may also pass by the MESSENGER spacecraft orbited Mercury as well as the Juno spacecraft that is on its way to Jupiter. NASA operators may put the spacecraft into safe-mode to protect their instruments.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This news was brought to my attention through my mom where on the news she was watching this alert was posted by NASA.

Although not much was released by NASA they said that there could be minor blackouts or service interruptions in technology but nothing major.

Also, Canadians will be in prime viewing view for any Northern Lights should they appear. I am putting on some warm clothes and am looking forward in seeing some light action tomorrow night whoot!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I was wrong

edit on 17-7-2013 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I wonder how far south they will reach this time...

I don't think I've ever seen them in life... would love to break out the lawn chairs and watch but I live in southwestern Virginia...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Can't wait! We've been getting bombarded with beautiful aurora light shows in Ontario the past couple of weeks actually so the more the better! I live very close to a deep sky preserve called "torrance barrens" which is a great spot for stargazing and watching the northern lights!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well here we go with the usual links.

www.spaceweather.com...

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Go here to get your Sun news.

Current Auroral Location

There's a big hole there in the Corona. Wow

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It's 11.30 here and I know not really related, but the display of noctilucent clouds in the west cover most of that hemisphere, never seen such a big gathering.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Pics or it didn't happen

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Watch for a earthquake somewhere...I suspect.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
reply to post by smurfy

Pics or it didn't happen

Whatever you say, no doubt though that Spaceweather.com will have a picture or two, as they have well respected contributors from this part of the world, none of those is Em Wah.

edit on 17-7-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Here ya go

Aurora over Yellowstone. just wow

spaceweather.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

This from your SpaceWeather link:

A CME swept past Earth on July 13th. The impact was gentle and did not spark a geomagnetic storm. However, south-pointing magnetic fields in the CME's wake had greater effect. The "negative Bz" opened a crack in Earth's magnetosphere, allowing solar wind to pour in and fuel high-latitude auroras.
(Emphasis Mine)

And this, related to that AND the pic you posted of the large coronal hole...

Solar wind flowing from the indicated coronal hole could reach Earth on July 19-20.

EEK

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Well here we go with the usual links.

www.spaceweather.com...
Looks like Oscar the Grouch if you turn your head upside down. Sort of. Well, looks grouchy anyway!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Oh great. I usually flip out when CMEs come.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Staroth
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Watch for a earthquake somewhere...I suspect.

That usually happens when HAARP makes rainbow clouds

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Ah, do I wish I lived further north. The Auroras that can be seen from the north look so majestic in images I've seen, I wish I could lay back and witness such an amazing view for myself. I'll definitely look to see if anyone takes a good picture of anything that happens overnight.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I went outside held up a pair of Nike's and I wasn't affected. I urge everyone to buy a pair of Nike's for protection.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Coronal mass ejections have been happening for millions of years... Not sure why this is so worrisome.

Though I suppose a large enough one could have adverse effects upon our electronic age... Sometimes I think we might be better off without our modern conveniences...

Life would be tad bit calmer, or slower anyway...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
this might sound really weird, but i went out for a smoke tonight at about 9pm. Looked up at the moon, there was a massive ring around it, sort of looked like a outline of a cloud. But it was a perfect circle. Could it be something to do with the cme. I dont know, thought i would get some answers.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Ice crystals in the atmosphere cause those.

Especially during the winter months. They can be really, really bright, and rather cool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join