It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Four Surviving Copies of the Magna Carta to be Reunited for the First Time After 800 Years.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
The four surviving medieval copies of Magna Carta will be brought together for the first time in history in 2015.

The date is 800 years after the issue of the Charter by King John in 1215....

King John, signing the Magna Carta

The unification will be held at the British Library for three days in early 2015 and will kick off a year of celebrations across the UK and the world.....

The event is taking place in collaboration with Lincoln Cathedral and Salisbury Cathedral, where two original copies of Magna Carta are usually kept...

The other two copies are housed safely at the British Library...

It will provide a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for researchers and the public to see all four documents side-by-side.

History buffs will be able to enter a ballot to win one of 1,215 free tickets to see the unified Medieval manuscripts.
The papers will be examined in the British Library’s Conservation Centre by some of the world’s leading experts on the documents...

Experts are currently undertaking a major research project on Magna Carta and the charters of King John, funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council...

This unique opportunity will allow the historians involved to study faded or obscured parts of the text more closely and to look for new clues about the identity of the writers of the texts, which is currently unknown.

Magna Carta, meaning ‘The Great Charter’, was issued by King John of England as a practical solution to the political crisis he faced in 1215...

Written in Latin on parchment, Magna Carta established for the first time that the king was subject to the law, rather than above it...

Although nearly a third of the text was dropped or substantially rewritten within ten years and almost all the clauses have been repealed in modern times...

However, Magna Carta remains a cornerstone of the British Constitution and its principles are echoed in the US constitution and others around the world...

It has been used in many ways since the Middle Ages but it has become a potent, international rallying cry against the arbitrary use of power...

The British Library is staging an exhibition about the medieval charter...

Lincoln Cathedral is opening a Magna Carta centre in Lincoln Castle, while Sailsbury Cathedral will host educational and outreach events to celebrate the 800 year anniversary...

Salisbury Cathedral, where one copy is kept

WHY MAGNA CARTA WAS SO GROUND-BREAKING

-Magna Carta means The Great Charter in Latin and was originally issues in 1215...

It was the first document forced onto a King of England by a group of his subjects, the feudal barons, in an attempt to limit his powers by law and protect their privileges...

The charter required King John of England to proclaim certain liberties and accept that his will was not arbitrary...

It was an important part of the process that led to the rule of constitutional law in the English speaking world...

In practice Magna Carta in the medieval period did not generally limit the power of kings...

But by the time of the English Civil War it had become an important symbol for those who wished to show that the King was bound by the law...

It influenced the early settlers in New England and inspired later constitutional documents, including the United States Constitution...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
ooOOOOO!

MEGA INTERESTING!

Another one to add to my favourites... I am really looking forward to reading and discovering what may come up here!

But, you know Dave, as always (luckily you didn't post this prime time at the end of the UK afternoon for example
)... As this will/would be hogged by certain posters and turned into a constitution/religion/political thread for another country sadly.

Warmest respects

Rodinus
edit on 15-7-2013 by Rodinus because: I didn't mention a country

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
ooOOOOO!

MEGA INTERESTING!

Another one to add to my favourites... I am really looking forward to reading and discovering what may come up here!

But, you know Dave, as always (luckily you didn't post this prime time at the end of the UK afternoon for example
)... As this will/would be hogged by certain posters and turned into a constitution/religion/political thread for another country sadly.

Warmest respects

Rodinus

Thanks for your interest Rodinus, this aspect of history has always fascinated me since I was in school history lessons. Hopefully I will maybe get a glimpse of all 4 of them together, I hope.........

As for the timing of the thread, well you can only add items when you are available to post. I am aware of the world time zones and who is around at certain times. At the end of the day it's all down to the sharing of information/knowledge etc, that is what interests me and then hope for the best and see what comes of it....

Cheers

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

It's actually the "Magna Charta".

Baronial Order of the Magna Charta

As no one has presented counter-claims debunking this information, I am quite convinced that it is indeed authentic and legitimate and has connections to the highest ranks of society.

Please read this website in depth.
And look up the side topics too.

Char´ta (kär´tå) n. 1. (Law) Material on which instruments, books, etc., are written; parchment or paper.

edit on 15-7-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
This part is very interesting :

The Magna Charta resulted from the peace made between King John of England and about sixtyof his rebelling barons. After preliminary negotiations with Archbishop of Canterbury Stephen Langton as go-between, John and his party met the barons on 15 June at Runnymede meadow next to the Thames River. After several days of discussions, the document language was finally agreed upon, and on 19 June the barons elected 25 of their number as “Sureties” to hold title to certain of the king’s properties, including the Tower of London, in order to guarantee his compliance with the laws and liberties expounded in the Magna Charta.

SURETY, contracts. A person who binds himself for the payment of a sum of money or for the performance of something else, for another, who is already bound for the same.

Also I believe that last I checked the "Tower of London" was serving as the 'treasury' at this period in time?

Anyone willing to debate this info feel free.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

Originally posted by Rodinus
ooOOOOO!

MEGA INTERESTING!

Warmest respects

Rodinus

Thanks for your interest Rodinus, this aspect of history has always fascinated me since I was in school history lessons. Hopefully I will maybe get a glimpse of all 4 of them together, I hope.........

As for the timing of the thread, well you can only add items when you are available to post. I am aware of the world time zones and who is around at certain times. At the end of the day it's all down to the sharing of information/knowledge etc, that is what interests me and then hope for the best and see what comes of it....

Cheers

Talk about fascination...

Apart from life sciences when i was a kid (and even now)... i have a deep interest for Anglo/saxon history... (Irish myself)... So forget it please all those people who will no doubt come up with some kind of smarmy intellectual erection causing comments...

Your thread has triggered off my summer quest for knowledge (when i will not be entertaing Cody (another ATS member or of course between a couple of glasses or buckets of French val de Loire Rosé..)

PLEASE keep us fully aware of what you can come up with...

Warmest and most respectuous regards

Rod

Blummin heck... 12:25 here and already 3 glasses of Rosé (Val de Loire)... I must remember to keep my gob shut

Luckily i am retired (sort of)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

It's actually the "Magna Charta".

Baronial Order of the Magna Charta

As no one has presented counter-claims debunking this information, I am quite convinced that it is indeed authentic and legitimate and has connections to the highest ranks of society.

Please read this website in depth.
And look up the side topics too.

Char´ta (kär´tå) n. 1. (Law) Material on which instruments, books, etc., are written; parchment or paper.

By the looks of your link you are incorrect

quoted from your source
"The Baronial Order of Magna Charta (BOMC) was founded in 1898as The Baronial Order of Runnemede during the flowering of scholarly and popular interest in the history and development of the Anglo-Saxon people that characterized the final decades of Queen Victoria’s reign."

the magna carta was much earlyer 1215

also your source even says magna carta

"provides ongoing financial support for the Magna Carta Trust in England."

heres afew links to help
www.fordham.edu...

www.legislation.gov.uk...

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Definition: Magna Carta n. Latin for "Great Charter,"

and only in the legal dictionary does it say it is also spelled "charta"
however according to the uk gov legislation (which it was formed in the great country of england) it is infact CARTA

all clear... good...
peace out

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymous1legion

A mere etymology issue?

charter (n.) Look up charter at Dictionary.com c.1200, from Old French chartre (12c.) "charter, letter, document, covenant," from Latin chartula, literally "little paper," diminutive of charta, carta "paper, document" (see chart (n.)).

In language structure, a diminutive,[1] or diminutive form (abbreviated dim), is a formation of a word used to convey a slight degree of the root meaning, smallness of the object or quality named, encapsulation, intimacy, or endearment.[2][3]

However I suppose that 'Carta' does work equally. Paper, charter, whichever.

Which essentially have the same meaning.
So I will admit to that small degree of error in the manner of which I presented the information.

Cool to find out about though right?
What do you think about all of the history and information presented by that website?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymous1legion

Thank you though for making me look it up for complete solid clarification of the terminology.

Now I know that both Charta and Carta are proper Latin. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

This is an extremely interesting post, it made me realise that I have never read the Magna Carts and have no real understanding of what it set out to achieve. I have now located an online version and have read it once, although many of the words are in old English, I am going to study it more closely and try and understand it in the historical context in which it was written.

Is it correct, that this forms the legal framework for the laws we see in the UK today?

Thank you for bringing this to our attention

The Fifth Cat

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

no problemo, and thank you for being very civil about it, yes i think both spellings are correct its the meaning of the document what matters anyhow, yes very interesting stuff too on your source,
and isnt the magna the framework for common law (civil law) of the land in sunny england?
i know its different from an ACT because that is consent of the governed and if you do not give consent then they cannot force their "act" on you i.e telecomunications act or the road act or whatever its called, or so i have heard,
would love it if someone actually could clear it up,
heres an example, and i know its icke but here goes anyhow...
www.davidicke.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
it seems it is carta but the americans made a charta

lincolncathedral.com...

"The links with the United States are very important. At the outbreak of WWII it was being exhibited at the Library of Congress in the USA and it was held for safekeeping in Fort Knox for the duration before being handed back, having been seen by an estimated 15 million Americans. In 2013 The Dean of Lincoln addressed the Baronial Order of Magna Charta in Washington."

it even links to your original link

edit on 15-7-2013 by anonymous1legion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Cool info - S&F for thread.

Incidentally, is this the same King John that that 12yo girl traced ALL presidents back to (bar 1)?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

Cool info - S&F for thread.

Incidentally, is this the same King John that that 12yo girl traced ALL presidents back to (bar 1)?

Correct, it is John Lackland, King of England And they are indeed related.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Immaculate timing! Huzzah!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Thanks Davethebear for shedding some light and attention on one of the most important documents
in Human History. Another concept of equal importance would be Habeas Corpus.

Link: en.wikipedia.org...

It is of great historical interest that these 4 documents will be positioned side by side for
analysis by researchers and the general public.

I know that there were original copies in the hands of private collectors. There was one located in
Texas,U.S.A. Maybe these have been aquired by the institutions mentioned in your Thread?

Must be so, if these are the only known copies in existence. ?

Great to see that some members not only have an interest in History, but understand its fundamental
value in deciphering the world that we exist in today.

S&F To Your Thread

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Good to see you are still paying attention to details Muzzleflash.
Rock and Roll.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
If these documents are really that important, I'd advise not keeping them all in the same place. Crazy things have been known to happen, and it'd be better to lose one than all.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by centhwevir1979
If these documents are really that important, I'd advise not keeping them all in the same place. Crazy things have been known to happen, and it'd be better to lose one than all.

Yeah, before I added this thread my initial thought was about security when they are all exhibited at the same time. I know that they will be under tight security, but like you said centhwevir, crazy things have been known to happen........but I am sure they will be fine, he said with his fingers crossed........

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Too much playing D&D I suppose, but I can't help but feel that reuniting artifacts is a bad idea....maybe it will summon Cromwell from the grave or something....

new topics

top topics

join