It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: Iowa Supreme Court Upholds Ruling Of Dental Assistant Fired For Being ‘Irresistible'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It looks like the Iowa Supreme Court has upheld that controversial ruling about the Dentist who fired an employee for being 'irresistible' .....

This opens up a big can of worms indeed.

Could this now open the door for random terminations ?

Does this apply to 'gay' marriages as well ?

What if a 'husband and wife' both work for the same employer.....
Does this somehow 'allow' the employer to fire both if and when the employer is attracted to both ?

Hmmm.

Melissa Nelson, the Iowa dental assistant who was fired from her job because her boss found her too “irresistible,” lost a second hearing in front of the Iowa Supreme Court on Friday. In a rare move, the court withdrew its previous ruling that Nelson’s boss had not broken the law when he fired her, only to stand by its decision on Friday.

According to the Associated Press, the all-male court found that Nelson’s former employer James Knight acted unfairly but was within his legal rights to let her go because he viewed her as a threat to his marriage, even though Knight admitted that Nelson never engaged in flirtatious or inappropriate behavior during her more than 10 years working for him. The court concluded that firings like Nelson's were motivated by feelings, not gender, and therefore did not constitute gender discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act.

Nelson, 33, was fired from Knight’s Fort Dodge business in 2012 and given one month’s severance pay. Despite calling Nelson one of the best dental assistants he’d ever had, Knight said that the decision to fire her, which his lawyer said he “agonized” over, was ultimately an order from his wife. In court records, Knight said that he found Nelson to be an “irresistible attraction,” and frequently made remarks about how attractive he found her.

source articles;

Melissa Nelson Update: Iowa Supreme Court Upholds Ruling Of Dental Assistant Fired For Being ‘Irresistible'

Iowa court: It's OK to fire employee you find too hot

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If being good looking makes you a candidate for job termination, I suppose i never have to worry about losing my job

I'm actually a not surprised by the ruling, considering I live in Iowa. I have witnessed lots of people lose there job for lesser reasons than good looks. And any job I have held in this state, before employment One has to sign the employee hand book that has a section that states the employer can terminate employees upon discretion.
edit on 13-7-2013 by highfreq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
If being good looking makes you a candidate for job termination, I suppose i never have to worry about losing my job

No wonder I keep getting laid off.
I thought it was just the economy.

My God!
I'm gorgeous!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

In my state this case would have never made it to court. In Texas the employer does not have to provide a reason or excuse for firing an employee to anyone but the bureau that handles unemployment benefits so as to determine whether or not the former employee qualifies for benefits, and even that can be appealed.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It is a sad day when you get fired for looking to good.

Now, are they going to turn the tables and start firing people for looking homely?

After all could it be argued that homely people hurt business?

That looks matter in todays society says allot about our future.

So, to all of the Real Good Lookers. .. . Go Get ya a hammer and knock out a couple of your front teeth. That should remedy the problem.
edit on 13-7-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

That has actually happened many times before.

Example

[url=http://www.thedailyquarterly.com/articles/2012/08/30/fat-ugly-attorney-suing-former-employer-over-getting-fired-for-being-fat-and-ugly/]Example[/ url]

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

I think a prime candidate has been the airlines.

They are actually prejudice to those that do not fit their mold.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Tell that to American Airlines. The last time I flew with them the flight attendant for my section was a 300 pound hairy guy named Terry who had to turn sideways to get down the aisle!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Many states have the same "at will" law. Also, there are often exceptions when an employer has only a certain number of employees, as long as you don't make, print or publish any discriminatory statements. Not to mention being attractive is not a protected class.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It's not uncommon for an employee to be let go because they distract the other employees.
This is a prime reason that many of the really good looking women rarely end up in an all male work environment. The managers know that productivity would drop.
It sounds silly but it's true.
If she's really that good looking though, she should be able to get another job.

I know, it sounds sexist but the way people look is a major factor in many jobs.

For instance, if you want a job in a music video it's much easier to get if you are simply irresistible.

And apparently, the ability to dance is optional.
edit on 13-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Heck, when I consider all the implications, I have to admit I wouldn't want MY dentist to be distracted to that degree as he was muscling my tooffies around.

Plus, when one is laying back like that, as the dentist first approaches, his waistline is at eye level if'n you get my drift. "Is that a dental drill in your pocket Doctor or are you just glad to see me." Ahem.

I, on the other hand, certainly appreciate "irresistible" dental assistants. Eases the pain and all. Tough question.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

top topics

join