It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is faith a mental illness?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I'm pretty sure nobody has faith in their government.

Would you say fighting with a cause is better than fighting without a cause?
Why do people go to war? Is it for what they believe in or just something to do?
edit on 13-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Why do people go to war? Is it for what they believe in or just something to do?

It might be a little off topic, but there is no good reason for war. Unless it is to defend your way of life. Not necessarily for beliefs.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

reply to post by SimonPeter

1-I would argue that they are not actually seeking a higher authority than man as much of today's religion was written by the hand of men. Your typical stereotyping of non religious people as being consumed by vanity and materialism is absolutely false and delusional. I find it humorous that you think this way and also feel slightly sorry for you.

1-like the DSM, the "bible" You are referencing, whose "definitions" you take on faith, and which has been shown to be heavily edited?

2-same could be said of your irrational belief in a 500 year old belief system, as the Summa of all knowledge and wisdom, yet is no different in its whoredoms, to Money and Domination. i'd say you were delusional, vain, materialist, falsely led by the nose, a pitiful state indeed.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

It might be a little off topic, but there is no good reason for war. Unless it is to defend your way of life. Not necessarily for beliefs.

If you hear on the news that your way of life can be removed in an instant by another country and you are moved to defend (by joining the army or supporting the troops) then you have 'believed' something that may not be true. You might have 'faith' in what the government want you to believe.

'Faith' is not just a religious thing.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

With that attitude Germany and Imperial Japan would have controlled 80% of the globe.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The sun never sets on the British empire.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Non sequitur. The world went to war with Germany and Japan to fight tyranny and genocide.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Non sequitur. The world went to war with Germany and Japan to fight tyranny and genocide.

Oh it was just the Germans and the Japanese was it?

The British Empire comprised the dominions, colonies, protectorates, mandates and other territories ruled or administered by the United Kingdom. It originated with the overseas possessions and trading posts established by England between the late 16th and early 18th centuries. At its height, it was the largest empire in history and, for over a century, was the foremost global power.[1] By 1922 the British Empire held sway over about 458 million people, one-fifth of the world's population at the time.[2] The empire covered more than 33,700,000 km2 (13,012,000 sq mi), almost a quarter of the Earth's total land area.[3][4] As a result, its political, legal, linguistic and cultural legacy is widespread. At the peak of its power, the phrase "the empire on which the sun never sets" was often used to describe the British Empire, because its expanse across the globe meant that the sun was always shining on at least one of its territories.
en.wikipedia.org...
Do you think they did this peacefully?
Where did all the original 'Americans' go? The ones that were named 'red Indians'.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

No Mr Maniac Troll, faith (assuming you have a correct conception of it) is not a mental illness.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

/thread

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

2-same could be said of your irrational belief in a 500 year old belief system, as the Summa of all knowledge and wisdom, yet is no different in its whoredoms, to Money and Domination. i'd say you were delusional, vain, materialist, falsely led by the nose, a pitiful state indeed.

Even more pitiful than a life wasted on fairy tales and cloud men? Blindly guided by archaic rules of domination and fear? I'd say you are closed minded, easily led by your insecurities, driven by lies and unable to discern truth without direction from a book. Just an unaware fool filled with delusions of superior religious morality. Fun game hey?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

No Mr Maniac Troll, faith (assuming you have a correct conception of it) is not a mental illness.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

/thread

Do you also need a book to be able to fathom context?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

With that attitude Germany and Imperial Japan would have controlled 80% of the globe.

How do you rationalise that? Did you read what I wrote? Stay on topic.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

After making this comment in another thread, should we be trusting your opinion on this matter, considering you've had mental issues of your own?

Many of you are being very irresponsible. This persons is potentially having a serious crisis and your feeding him religious junk. Shame on you. Always bloody recruiting.

My advice is to be near family who care. Simple. I've been there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

He was bang on to say that...read my posts in this thread to see why. I have seen what religion can do to mentally ill folk.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Mentally ill folk are exactly that, mentally ill.

Already having mental illness can make anything they become involved or interested in appear irrational.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

After making this comment in another thread, should we be trusting your opinion on this matter, considering you've had mental issues of your own?

Many of you are being very irresponsible. This persons is potentially having a serious crisis and your feeding him religious junk. Shame on you. Always bloody recruiting.

My advice is to be near family who care. Simple. I've been there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That thread was actually the catalyst for this thread. Are you saying because I have experienced mental illness I should not be able to discuss it?

By that logic you can't be trusted to comment in this thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

You can discuss it all you want, but your mental illness may keep you from being able to distinguish what's truly irrational or not.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

You can discuss it all you want, but your mental illness may keep you from being able to distinguish what's truly irrational or not.

I don't have a mental illness. I had a lack of sleep induced mania. Lasted a week. I am perfectly able to distinguish that you are an arse.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
'Faith' is the belief in something.
Believing in something is what the mind does.
The mind is mental - it believes in things that are not.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Sorry, but that answer isn't gaining you any credibility in this thread.

It only brings you back to this statement that you made yourself earlier...

Being easily offended and angered is actually a marker of mental illness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join