It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden to meet Amnesty and Human Rights Watch at Moscow airport

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
NSA whistleblower to meet human rights groups at Sheremetyevo airport to discuss his next steps forward as he claims US is illegally denying his right to seek asylum.

Guardian will do live coverage of the event .

www.guardian.co.uk...

Here is live stream

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The meeting is due to take place at 5pm Moscow time (2pm in London/9am in New York) in Sheremetyevo airport.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Is the live stream in English?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer
Is the live stream in English?

Dont know , i hope so. Meeting and eventually Snowden press conference will be in english . There are journalists from all over the world.
edit on 12-7-2013 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Great move.

Bring in as many human rights organizations as you can and continue to make this as public as possible. That is the only way Snowden is going to make it somewhere safe in my opinion.

We have unsubstantiated reports that the US may be willing to take actions with complete disregard for international law ( like that is anything new
) to apprehend Snowden. We can only hope that enough of a political clout will fall over the US from the revelations of the spying programs and its attempts to bar Snowden from Asylum, to make it untenable to not allow him to travel.

Right off the amnesty international website:

UNITED AGAINST INJUSTICE

At the heart of Amnesty International is this idea: that we are at our most powerful when we stand together for human rights. We work together in many different ways, so that all our supporters can be involved, wherever they live and whatever their age, background or skills.
Our movement is driven by our members, supporters, our more than 1,800 staff members and hundreds of volunteers around the world.
Together we campaign to:

defend freedom of expression
protect women’s rights
abolish the death penalty
demand justice for crimes against humanity
demand corporate accountability where companies have abused people’s rights

Campaigning can change lives – of the survivors of human rights abuses, of the human rights activists, even of the abusers.
Donate now, and you can help us keep up the pressure, changing minds and changing lives.

I think Snowden is is need of much of the above.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Look at he policemen on the door , what a funny hat .

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Thanks for this xavi!

The guy in the striped shirt looks ready...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Ellen Barry of the New York Times reports that Snowden’s meeting with “around eight” human rights figures has begun. The meeting is not allowed to be filmed.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Ellen Barry of the New York Times reports that Snowden’s meeting with “around eight” human rights figures has begun. The meeting is not allowed to be filmed.

Damnit!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Lol, you can tell snowden worked for the NSA in that photo.

I wonder how he was in school during tests.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

He is thiner than the first interview

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

When asked if the NSA leaker has any more revelations, Lokshina responded: “He says that his job is done.”

Interesting choice of words...
rt.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This is newest statement from Edward Snowden

Hello. My name is Ed Snowden. A little over one month ago, I had family, a home in paradise, and I lived in great comfort. I also had the capability without any warrant to search for, seize, and read your communications. Anyone’s communications at any time. That is the power to change people’s fates.

It is also a serious violation of the law. The 4th and 5th Amendments to the Constitution of my country, Article 12 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and numerous statutes and treaties forbid such systems of massive, pervasive surveillance. While the US Constitution marks these programs as illegal, my government argues that secret court rulings, which the world is not permitted to see, somehow legitimize an illegal affair. These rulings simply corrupt the most basic notion of justice – that it must be seen to be done. The immoral cannot be made moral through the use of secret law.

I believe in the principle declared at Nuremberg in 1945: "Individuals have international duties which transcend the national obligations of obedience. Therefore individual citizens have the duty to violate domestic laws to prevent crimes against peace and humanity from occurring."

Accordingly, I did what I believed right and began a campaign to correct this wrongdoing. I did not seek to enrich myself. I did not seek to sell US secrets. I did not partner with any foreign government to guarantee my safety. Instead, I took what I knew to the public, so what affects all of us can be discussed by all of us in the light of day, and I asked the world for justice.

That moral decision to tell the public about spying that affects all of us has been costly, but it was the right thing to do and I have no regrets.

Since that time, the government and intelligence services of the United States of America have attempted to make an example of me, a warning to all others who might speak out as I have. I have been made stateless and hounded for my act of political expression. The United States Government has placed me on no-fly lists. It demanded Hong Kong return me outside of the framework of its laws, in direct violation of the principle of non-refoulement – the Law of Nations. It has threatened with sanctions countries who would stand up for my human rights and the UN asylum system. It has even taken the unprecedented step of ordering military allies to ground a Latin American president’s plane in search for a political refugee. These dangerous escalations represent a threat not just to the dignity of Latin America, but to the basic rights shared by every person, every nation, to live free from persecution, and to seek and enjoy asylum.

Yet even in the face of this historically disproportionate aggression, countries around the world have offered support and asylum. These nations, including Russia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and Ecuador have my gratitude and respect for being the first to stand against human rights violations carried out by the powerful rather than the powerless. By refusing to compromise their principles in the face of intimidation, they have earned the respect of the world. It is my intention to travel to each of these countries to extend my personal thanks to their people and leaders.

I announce today my formal acceptance of all offers of support or asylum I have been extended and all others that may be offered in the future. With, for example, the grant of asylum provided by Venezuela’s President Maduro, my asylee status is now formal, and no state has a basis by which to limit or interfere with my right to enjoy that asylum. As we have seen, however, some governments in Western European and North American states have demonstrated a willingness to act outside the law, and this behavior persists today. This unlawful threat makes it impossible for me to travel to Latin America and enjoy the asylum granted there in accordance with our shared rights.

This willingness by powerful states to act extra-legally represents a threat to all of us, and must not be allowed to succeed. Accordingly, I ask for your assistance in requesting guarantees of safe passage from the relevant nations in securing my travel to Latin America, as well as requesting asylum in Russia until such time as these states accede to law and my legal travel is permitted. I will be submitting my request to Russia today, and hope it will be accepted favorably.

If you have any questions, I will answer what I can.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Wow, what a speech! Straight to the point and without political correctness.
It must feel great to say out loud what we all think about such a powerful and corrupt system.
I love this guy!

It is my intention to travel to each of these countries to extend my personal thanks to their people and leaders.

That's like giving the finger to those who tried to intimidate and restrict him.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat
Wow, what a speech! Straight to the point and without political correctness.
It must feel great to say out loud what we all think about such a powerful and corrupt system.
I love this guy!

It is my intention to travel to each of these countries to extend my personal thanks to their people and leaders.

That's like giving the finger to those who tried to intimidate and restrict him.

Although verification of direct help from Daniel Ellsberg on tactics isn't possible, we will soon read about all the specifics in a autobiography book soon enough.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I don't see a policeman. What are you talking about

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Nice updated thread.. thank you xavi!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Bring in as many human rights organizations as you can and continue to make this as public as possible.

Human rights organisations need to be raising awareness of the shoddy human rights in the nations who have agreed to give Snowden asylum, or ones he’s trying to get to, or has tried and failed. Many of these nations are hardly exemplars of human rights. By making this a theatre of human rights against the US judicial system, these organisations are on the road to devaluing their work.

HRW Bolivia
HRW Venezuela
HRW Russia
HRW China

Regards

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm tired of this clown/weasel..The story is all about him,and his stupid where's waldo adventures.I was 23 when 911 happened,and I knew then that are privacy was going to be compromised.That's why I've never facebook'ed,tweet,or own a smart phone.He's not enlightening me on anything that I didn't already know.
Edit..Btw,I know everything I type is recorded..But.I'm not going to make it easy for Big Bro by participating in social media I.E the collection data traps I mentioned above..

edit on 13-7-2013 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join