It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Teaching Religious Fundamentalism Are Endangering Creative Thinking WORLD-WIDE

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by artemisminion

I'm not sure what your point is, or if you are talking to me....

I imagine they put their kids in private schools because that's what the "elites" do. It's a status thing.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The world's population has more than doubled in 50 years, in a few weeks it will reach 7 billion.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

46% of the world is UNEDUCATED.

Two-thirds of the world's 880 million illiterate adults are women.

Girls are more than 70 percent of the 125 million children who don't have a school to attend.

Of those that are educated, many are educated in religious ways that cling to antiquated beliefs that believes and teaches men and those of their faith as superior and all others worthy of death for not believing the same.

For a good few hundreds of years the vast cultural variations of nations were mostly kept apart, never the twain shall meet, until recently when certain governments invited certain cultures into their own differing culture. It was an act of stupidity that has caused wars and suffering since.

Until certain 'we are superior' religions re educate themselves into being able to live peacefully as global citizens they should not be global citizens.

They should be allowed their own space to keep to their own ways and leaving others alone, or re educate themselves.

The global nature of the worlds and the rapid increase in population mean the meeting of cultures is inevitable and unless governments are aiming for WW3 it is well advised that global cultural / education clashes are dealt with now and a global solution sought and put in place.

www.mapsofworld.com...

www.dosomething.org...

1. As of 2012, 31 million primary-school pupils worldwide dropped out of school. An additional 32 million repeated a grade.

2. In the sub-Saharan, 11.07 million children leave school before completing their primary education. In South and West Asia, that number reaches 13.54 million.

3. While girls are less likely to begin school, boys are more likely to repeat grades or drop out altogether.

4. According to UNESCO, 61 million primary school-age children were not enrolled in school in 2010.
Of these children, 47 percent were never expected to enter school, 26 percent attended school but left, and the remaining 27 percent are expected to attend school in the future.

5. Children living in a rural environment are two times more likely to be out of school than urban children. Additionally, children from the wealthiest 20 percent of the population are four times more likely to be in school than the poorest 20 percent.

6. In developing, low-income countries, every additional year of education can increase a person’s future income by an average of 10 percent.

7. Children who are born to educated mothers are less likely to be stunted or malnourished. Each additional year of maternal education also reduces the child mortality rate by 2 percent.

8. Women with a primary school education are 13 percent more likely to know that condoms can reduce their risk of contracting HIV/AIDS. An education can help decrease the spreading of this virus by promoting safer sexual practices.

9. 53 percent of the world’s out-of-school children are girls and two-thirds of the illiterate people in the world are women.

10. Education empowers women to make healthy decisions about their lives. For example, women in Mali with a secondary level education or higher have an average of 3 children, while those with no education have an
average of 7.

11. The youth literacy rates in South America and Europe are among the highest with 90-100 percent literacy. The African continent, however, has areas with less than 50 percent literacy among children ages 18 and under

www.savethechildren.org...

Two-thirds of the world's 880 million illiterate adults are women. Girls are more than 70 percent of the 125 million children who don't have a school to attend. Significantly more girls than boys enrolled in the first grade fail to complete the first cycle of primary school.

Social traditions and deep-rooted religious and cultural beliefs are most often the barriers to expanding girls' educational opportunities in undeveloped countries around the world.

Did you know that:

In parts of the Horn of Africa girls are abducted for marriage, causing them to be reluctant to walk the far distances to get to school?

Throughout the Sahel region of Africa and parts of the Middle East, a dowry system, often promoting that girls leave their studies, is still in place?

The AIDS crisis in Southern Africa and Asia drives many young women, little more than children themselves, to become heads of families, become involved in child trafficking and drop out of school?

In parts of Latin America, girls and women from indigenous areas have little opportunity to learn to read and write?

edit on 11-7-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

or making women wear burkas.

Or that Muhammed flew up to heaven on a horse and that women and girls are unworthy of respect and education?

how do you associate these things with education?

So should i consider that a teen feeling forced(peer-pressure) to lose her virginity at 16 is what your education system teaches? Or trying drugs etc?

Jesus pbuh performing miracles or Muhammad pbuh going for The Night Journey or Moses pbuh parting the Red Sea etc, do these come under your idea of education? Do you think people who have studied in public schools cannot have these beliefs as a part of their faith?

"Girls are unworthy of respect and education?"
really? From what i have seen, girls/women get the highest respect among muslims and they get education just as boys, the factors that affect this are not religious, they are more socio-economic.

Don't mix education with value system. You end up mixing them and then misjudging refusal to accept western values as refusal to education.

The example you'l quote is taliban. Maybe you'l change your opinion if i say that the teachers that are present in afghanistan are of communist mindset and would be teaching that to Malala.
The taliban object to secular education because they see it as an attempt to indoctrinate the young minds in western secular ideology. Btw that is also true, if you think USA wants to open schools in Afghanistan for public good
then you should rethink. Everything that is done is for self interests.

Any education system does not just give education, it also ends up teaching the kids the ideology of that society, be it secularism, communism or Islam.

You have also learnt an ideology along with getting educated and you believe that ideology to be better and try to push for it while you think you are just wanting to make everyone educated and getting confused when you see resistance and then you label them as backward people who don't want education!

I am educated, i learnt biology, physics, mathametics, social sciences etc but i still have a different ideology, an Islamic ideology. Will you object to teaching of a different ideology than yours even when the education thats been given is the same?

I am all for promoting Education, if you are also for it then we agree on it.

Keep your own views about religion out of it, educating people will not make them believe what you believe or make them let go belief in Heaven and Hell etc.
edit on 11-7-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by logical7

how do you associate these things with education?

I associate them only with indoctrination - and religious indoctrination is NOT what I consider a part of appropriate schoolroom EDUCATION. Education should have no doctrinal influence on a child. Teaching them about ALL the ideologies is fine and dandy. No problem there.

If it is left to TEACHERS (rather than religious leaders or parents) to give them "religious training", and they teach ONLY ONE religion, and present it as fact - the result will be the problem when that child inevitably comes in contact with someone from another religion or culture. That is the problem. Especially when it includes teaching them that all OTHER religions are wrong and that people who believe in those "wrong" religions are going to burn in hell. That sort of "education" (indoctrination) breeds fear, hatred, misunderstanding, and division.

Children, the hope for our future, who are 'fortunate enough' (it should be a basic human right, not a "stroke of luck") to be born in a place that offers education and a family that promotes it, who will learn math, reading, science, writing, philosophy, history, social studies, etc. - are the ones who will most likely be met with persons from other cultures as they become adults in this global-economy world. IF THEY do not respect or understand that another person's ideology might be different from theirs, but is EQUALLY based on "faith" and not "facts" - how do you expect them to get along?

In the USA, religious holidays are granted to those of a particular "minority" ideologies. It's ILLEGAL to discriminate against them, or refuse to give them their requested holiday (depending on corporate policy, naturally - some places don't recognize holidays AT ALL - whether you're an atheist, a Baptist, a Muslim, or a Jew, you still have to work to get paid. And in some companies, such as the one I worked for, "everyone works on [holiday name here] - NO EXCEPTIONS.

If a Muslim needs special accommodation for Ramadan, or a Jew for Passover, or whatever, it is generally granted with NO PROBLEM. Ignorance of those "holidays" is not acceptable. Human Resource departments are in charge of knowing what those holidays ARE, and in respecting them across the board.

Now, I'd like to hear your comments and thoughts about the post above yours by theabsolutetruth.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Now, I'd like to hear your comments and thoughts about the post above yours by theabsolutetruth.

I know and understand that there is a problem of illiteracy and especially higher among females.

Until certain 'we are superior' religions
re educate themselves into being able
to live peacefully as global citizens
they should not be global citizens. They should be allowed their own
space to keep to their own ways and
leaving others alone, or re educate
themselves.

i'l extend that to "we are superior" ideologies, cultures and systems.

The problem i see is a narrow minded super power unworthy of being a global citizen trying to impose its system on people who don't want it, be it in middle east or south america.

Throughout the Sahel region of Africa
and parts of the Middle East, a dowry
system, often promoting that girls
leave their studies, is still in place?

whats this?
A dowry system that promotes girls to leave study? How does that happen?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
double post
edit on 12-7-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

You might want to make it clear that the second quoted remark was not mine. You are at that point responding to theabsolutetruth.

And incidentally, there are several countries "over your way" that ARE "democratic" (the US is actually a Republic, not a Democracy).....and DO want Western ideologies. I believe India is one of those...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

You might want to make it clear that the second quoted remark was not mine. You are at that point responding to theabsolutetruth.

And incidentally, there are several countries "over your way" that ARE "democratic" (the US is actually a Republic, not a Democracy).....and DO want Western ideologies. I believe India is one of those...

i hope theabsolutetruth reads it and responds.

I see only one country helped by its minions trying to spread democracy/capitalism and its going on for a long time, when the enemy was communism and not Islam.

India has never attacked any country to promote its interests at the expense of millions of lives.

Any country that has "we are superior" attitude is undeserving to be a part of finding global solutions and then there is veto power in UN, thats really the icing on the cake and so paradoxical, the promoters of democracy wanting a higher say than others when voting

i see the world and its problems are a result of seeking world dominance/power and material greed and all these criminals are protected under the umbrella of mainly USA.
The third world countries have to obey the bullies of the world and the systems they have created that give them an unfair advantage all the time, UN, IMF etc
If anyone opposes this then they suddenly end up possessing WMDs or are attacked by NATO(Libya) after an appropriate smear campaign ofcourse and yes! al-qaeda also pops up where a regime change is needed.
Everyone understands justice, be it educated or illiterate and everyone will fight injustice in their own capacity even if the get labelled as terrorists!
Maybe its not far when anyone who opposes the government in US would be labelled as terrorist, then i guess you will understand the reality of the muslim side not before.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

You have also learnt an ideology along with getting educated and you believe that ideology to be better and try to push for it while you think you are just wanting to make everyone educated and getting confused when you see resistance and then you label them as backward people who don't want education!

I've told you before: DON'T TELL ME WHAT I BELIEVE or what I THINK I'M DOING.

I don't have an "ideology". And you are, as per usual, just arguing to be oppositional. Education is for teaching history, math, literacy, science, and other practical SKILLS to function as a contributing member of society.

I think any ONE ideology is out of place in a school-room. Teach them ALL, or don't teach any of them.

And I'd like to remind you and our readers that YOU are the one who has said that "lack of education" is the problem with Extremists and Muslims who practice terrorism.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

an appropriate smear campaign

You don't think your posts that continue to paint ALL AMERICANS as evil, wanton sinners is a SMEAR CAMPAIGN?

I have MANY TIMES pointed out and denounced the Western Military/industrial/corporate Complex as Evil. Yet you continue to try to make ME the bad guy who refuses to see both sides, and you NEVER come into my threads doing so to say "thanks for pointing out the wrong things the West is doing". Ever.

LAME

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I don't have an "ideology".

i don't believe that but ok.

I think any ONE ideology is out of place in a school-room. Teach them ALL,

really? So you will be ok to teach secularism and sharia in schools at your place? That would sure help increase understanding of Islam and that its not the enemy.

And I'd like to remind you and our readers that YOU are the one who has said that "lack of education" is the problem with Extremists and Muslims who practice terrorism.

lack of proper religious education.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

So you will be ok to teach secularism and sharia in schools at your place? That would sure help increase understanding of Islam and that its not the enemy.

Any student who WANTS to learn about sharia and Islam can do so here. In particular, schools that offer "comparative religious studies" are wide open for high school and college students, generally as electives.

Many elementary schools also teach things dealing with cultural studies, different holidays (such as Kwanzaa, Hannukah, AND Christmas during the late autumn, for example). The United States does NOT VILIFY any ONE religion, or hold any ONE religion as "truer" than any other one. THAT IS THE BASIS OF OUR NATION.

Ghaaaa!!! Will you please stop attacking me?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You don't think your posts that continue to paint ALL AMERICANS as evil, wanton sinners is a SMEAR CAMPAIGN?

now its you who is trying to tell me what i believe. I don't believe that.

I have MANY TIMES pointed out and denounced the Western Military/ industrial/corporate Complex as Evil. Yet you continue to try to make ME the bad guy who refuses to see both sides, and you NEVER come into my threads doing so to say "thanks for pointing out the wrong things the West is doing". Ever.

and all muslim posters here have denounced the wrongs that are being done by some muslims yet you continue demanding "What are good muslims doing?"!!!

If you want to discuss whats objectively the bigger problem then i had just put my views.
Starvation, illiteracy etc all spring from this ever increasing infection of greed and profit, this corporatism under the protection of USA.
It leads to extreme injustice and people react in their capacity, muslims have a religious duty to fight injustice by all means and even violent if the injustice is of violent type. Some use that religious duty to get their interests and ego to be fed. The corporatism encourages it as it gives justification to continue oppressive and unjust behaviours under the mask of freedom/war on terror. Its just another multi billion industry now and how would it continue if new terrorists are not created!
The best way to create terrorists is keep killing innocent people unjustly, insult their religious sentiments etc and then cry foul when people react back.

Your country is waging a percieved war on islam, what are you doing to clear you view about it? As much as i have seen you have bought into it and would wish the same, that Islam becomes a puppet/harmless religion so that the bullies of the world rule the world and can be oppressive and unjust.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

yet you continue demanding "What are good muslims doing?"!!!

Uh, no. I don't. I left that topic in the dust a few weeks ago.

Jesus you're quick-tempered. Have you not seen my numerous threads calling for the impeachment of Obama for war crimes? My threads denouncing big banks and corporate greed? REALLY????

You're doing that "thing" again - forgetting (yeah, right - more like deliberately IGNORING) things I've said before, statements I have made (and continue to make), and putting words and thoughts on me that do NOT EXIST.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Until certain 'we are superior' religions re educate themselves into being able to live peacefully as global citizens they should not be global citizens.

Such religions that consider themselves superior, and wants death to those that do not believe in the same as they do, should not be in the global arena. Recent events have proven this to be wise.

As for the US claiming superiority, well that is another story for another time, I won't go into that now, if you want my opinion on it you could read through my threads and posts but suffice to say I do not agree to bullying tactics anywhere anywhen.

Just to add some perspective and keep on topic, this thread is about how certain ways of educating and or lack of education due to religious beliefs affects the world.

Places like the UK and US have opened their doors to those of ''we are superior'' belief systems which is a kind gesture, especially in places like the UK where it enables automatic entitlement to free money, housing, healthcare, free advice, legal aid etc, whilst they are set about the preparation of bombs that blew up people on the public transport systems because they were angry at the very people paying for all their free things for not believing in the same as they do.

We do not need people of such an education in our lands, we do not need their beliefs, we have our own and we allow others to have theirs.

This is proof that educating people in such ways makes them global citizens with a hazard light and siren.

When most of the world is either fully paid into freedom, democracy etc or heading that direction (albeit not sans corruption, yet), the toxic baggage that comes with those practicing the opposite of freedom of thought and belief has the world on the verge of WW3.

I would suggest a global solution preventing it, now.
edit on 12-7-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

We do not need people of such an education in our lands, we do not need their beliefs, we have our own and we allow others to have theirs.

This is proof that educating people in such ways makes them global citizens with a hazard light and siren.

When most of the world is either fully paid into freedom, democracy etc or heading that direction (albeit not sans corruption, yet), the toxic baggage that comes with those practicing the opposite of freedom of thought and belief has the world on the verge of WW3.

I would suggest a global solution preventing it, now.

Me, too. I'm so glad you chimed in here!!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Such religions that consider themselves superior, and wants death to those that do not believe in the same as they do, should not be in the global arena. Recent events have proven this to be wise.

a religious person from any religion considers his/her religion superior/better and thats the reason he/she continues following it.
You obviously have been brain washed into believing that a certain religion wants to kill you unless you convert. You are caught up into a action-reaction cycle and consider a reaction as an action done because the religion demands it. Islam encourages fighting oppression and injustice and some just cling to that part and end up themselves doing injustice and harm to innocents.
The whole principle is "Don't bear injustice/oppression and Don't do it too(not even to the oppressor)"

Just to add some perspective and
keep on topic, this thread is about
how certain ways of educating and or
lack of education due to religious
beliefs affects the world.

all ways of educating affect the world, i am objecting to the idea that a certain way is better and a religious education is not good for world peace.
Who has the right to decide that? You have multiple systems(secularism, interest banking etc) that run your society and religion is a personal thing.
In Islam its all integrated into one system, a holistic system that revolves around a simple belief and people have a right to choose it if they want it or push for it in legal ways and it includes how their kids are educated and to protect them from being indoctrinated in secular ideas.
Maybe christians are ok with the dissonance where at one hand they say "God is Supreme" and then let the society/education system teach their kids to worship their desires, obey government and hide their beliefs when outside, NOT Muslims, Muslims are not sorry to be religious or display their religiosity.

Places like the UK and US have opened
their doors to those of ''we are
superior'' belief systems which is a
kind gesture, especially in places like
the UK where it enables automatic
entitlement to free money, housing, healthcare, free advice, legal aid etc,
whilst they are set about the
preparation of bombs that blew up
people on the public transport
systems because they were angry at
the very people paying for all their free things for not believing in the same as
they do.

oh so muslims are exempted from paying taxes in UK?
Immigration is allowed because you need a work force and there is a lack of it not due to a "kind gesture"
what would you say about a british convert who also demands sharia? "brainwashed traitor!"?
You obvious don't like people demanding to live in a certain way as you don't like it, nobody is forcing you. Why are you bothered if people choose to practice their beliefs fully? Are you going to dictate what parts of a person's life should be affected by religion and what parts should be secular?
On the topic, lets say Education, i hope you agree that parents are free to teach a specific religion to their kids but let them also explore others especially when they grow up and are able to choose a religion or reject all.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

You obviously have been brain washed......
You are caught up into...

YOU are doing it again - telling people their minds and lives.!!! Log7! Other people are entitled to their worldviews!!! NOT JUST YOU!! And.... your tone continues to be unpleasant and overbearing. Please, desist!, and address education alone.

You finished up your attack by saying kids should be taught all of the different religions and make up their own minds. That is the POINT I've been trying to make all along.

When Paki schools start teaching ALL religions, I'll relax. When Saudis allow 'evolution' to be taught in their schools, I'll relax. YOU YELLING AT US and telling us your "analysis" of our minds is NOT HELPING!!!
edit on 12-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

When most of the world is either fully paid into freedom, democracy etc or heading that direction (albeit not sans corruption, yet), the toxic baggage that comes with those practicing the opposite of freedom of thought and belief has the world on the verge of WW3. I would suggest a global solution preventing it, now.

what i see is that the potential too fight a WW3 and cause maximum damage is also with the powers promoting freedom and democracy (at least in words). Its not everybody's freedom, its a dominance of one ideology over the whole world and doing all possible tricks to make it possible. Why shouldn't people resist it?

You complain about muslims trying to impose their beliefs on others and yet your own posts are soaked in praising "your way" and your wish that it is taken up by the whole world!!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

You complain about muslims trying to impose their beliefs on others and yet your own posts are soaked in praising "your way" and your wish that it is taken up by the whole world!!

HEY!!! STOP IT.
Democracy and freedom does NOT take away your right to practice Islam. The PROBLEM is with you not realizing that!!! Be Muslim! No one cares! STOP hating on Westerners who don't want to participate!!!!!

Holy Cow. :shk: Did I NOT JUST SAY -- on this page even -- that kids in the West can study Islam and be Muslim IF THEY WANT TO?????!!!!
YES. I DID.

edit on 12-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join