It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California prison officials say 30,000 inmates refuse meals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Inmates seeking to alleviate the burdensome use by state prisons of indefinite detention or prolonged segregation, have begun statewide protests in California. Two thirds of inmates refused meals with thousands more not attending work or other functions across the state. If it continues at this pace it will be the largest prison protest in state history.

Source

Inmates in two-thirds of the state's 33 prisons, and at all four out-of-state private prisons, refused both breakfast and lunch on Monday, said corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton. In addition, 2,300 prisoners failed to go to work or attend their prison classes, either refusing or in some cases saying they were sick.

The corrections department will not acknowledge a hunger strike until inmates have missed nine consecutive meals. Even so, Thornton said, Monday's numbers are far larger than those California saw two years earlier during a series of hunger strikes that drew international attention.

Alternative source
edit on 9-7-2013 by Daedal because: added source

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Like we care?

In my opinion repeat offenders should be run through a chipper shredder outside the court house..
Public floggings and hangings used to be deterants to serious crime.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

People make mistakes and they are paying for them, something must be going on to make all those people refuse meals, maybe the prisoners have a point eh?.
Oh and capital punishment does not stop crime...never has never will.
I hope you never have to break the law to feed yourself or your family.
edit on 9-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

In addition, 2,300 prisoners failed to go to work or attend their prison classes, either refusing or in some cases saying they were sick.

I can see making a protest for possible better conditions but not attending classes is just lame on their part imho. Some institutions provide job related training that would benefit them on the outside so that hopefully they wont return to their previous life of crime if and when they get released. Shooting themselves in the foot here?

Just a thought.

Hey, if anything it might save the bankrupt State of California some badly needed duckets eh?

edit on 9-7-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Please tell us of a crime committed by someone who had experienced capital punishment....

It is a sure fire way to stop criminals from committing any more crimes.
edit on 9-7-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

What is the problem here?
If they don't want to eat, that is there choice.
Saves money on food.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Free those that committed victimless crimes!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Please tell us of a crime committed by someone who had experienced capital punishment....

It is a sure fire way to stop criminals from committing any more crimes.
edit on 9-7-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

It is a sure fire way for a state to be given the power to kill. Capital punishment is not a deterrent. Look at how many murders that continue even though people are put to death by the state. If you want your"good ol' days" where you could throw a few big rocks at somebody's head while their body is incapacitated, or if you are lucky maybe your kids could get a severed finger as a souvenir, might I suggest a move to the lovely Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Like we care?

In my opinion repeat offenders should be run through a chipper shredder outside the court house..

I was arrested and spent nine days in prison because I couldn't come up with bail(and was ironically charged for those days even though I couldn't pay to NOT be placed there) for calling my wife because she wouldn't let me see my kids and according to our temporary custody agreement I could only text and email (which she was not returning). Should I be ran through a chipper or caned ? What if you have one outstanding parking ticket? There was a litttle something placed somewhere that said that in this country there should be no "cruel or unusual" punishment.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

I find it humorous that some people actually think like that still.

There was a time when people were executed for being convicted of a crime, but then after they were "Murdered" for the crime it became obvious that they weren't the one who committed the crime.

Kind of a sticky situation huh?, so now the legal system is set up to allow the guilty to be freed instead of executing/imprisoning an innocent.

Would you feel the same way if it were you that was accused and convicted wrongfully?, do you have endless amounts of money to fight for your freedom if you are wrongfully accused of a crime?.

Would you be forced into a plea bargain, admitting to a lesser crime than accused of to avoid prison when you are straight up Not Guilty of any real crime at all?, like a large number of these people in prison have been.

Spoken like a lily white, squeaky clean and truly naïve person.

Just the type of person to be terrified of having in a jury of one's peers.

I don't mean to be offensive, but that first reply to the OP was just plain stupid.

Hopefully you keep hiding in that hole, safe and sound from the reality that surrounds you.

Like I said, I mean no offense, but commentary like was submitted by you makes me fear for the human race.

You support sharia law, which is like cave man kinda stuff.

Yeah, feed em through a wood chipper.......

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Wow, look !, there is more continuity in prison than out here on the street.

You would be lucky to get anyone to protest out here without turning your protest into a dog and pony show with free food and drink and music and......

This country was mostly convicts and religious outcast in it's inception, people who refused to bow to the king and worship imaginary sky people in the way the king demanded and so on.

They were sent to the wilderness as punishment, to die.

We are a country of petty criminals, led by great big criminals.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If they don't wanna eat that's fine by me.

Most of them have stuff squirreled away in their cells from what they buy from the prison commissary.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Free those that committed victimless crimes!

What is your definition of a victimless crime? Can you clarify?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Like we care?

We're creating our next steps here, in the next world, so I guess you're going to love the really harsh one that those policies would ring out loud and clear in. ie there are infinite realms, so one of the really harsh ones sounds like it would fit your ideals.

I'll choose the eutopias and heaven.

Everyone needs to care a great deal. To begin, the only people that should even be in jail are repeat violent offenders, and our political, media, hollywood and corporate, royal heads, should be exposed for all their crimes and rituals and they would be the main ones flooding the prison systems in a really just world.

The rest need, counseling, abundance, healing, meditation, business start ups, part time education and or job training or volunteering.

And at that, many of the laws are illegal and against common law to begin with especially if they concern humanity's access to land, resources and the seeds of earth...!!!

Slavery is illegal.

Even for the worst of the worst, like the Bush family if they would be behind bars for crimes against humanity, I would still care, and we would still need to cloister around the prisons and try to heal their souls and get them to turn away from their dark hat beliefs and make U-Turns in their lives.

Because that is what Love does.
edit on 9-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

Spoken like a lily white, squeaky clean and truly naïve person.

No spoken by someone who watches and reads the news.
There is no reason we should mollycoddle someone who has a long history of commiting crimes.
You know the types I speak of. Those that know nothing other than crime.

If someone gets accused of assault or worse and already have a rap sheet of violent crime he is not going to change by taking Andy Griffith classes in prison. There is no reason at all for society to be burdened with them for 20 to life. End the cycle.

While Commiforina's three strike rule isn't perfect it does strike a certain amount of fear into people.
How about a five strike chipper shredder rule?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'm still confused from as far back as the headline. (Mr. Confusion, back again.)

We've come through an abortion fight granting women to do what they want with their bodies. We've come from Dr. Kervorkian to "Death with Dignity."

Why would we be upset if prisoners want to kill themselves? Isn't that their "right?" If something's wrong at the prisons, why not just call their attorney in, explain the facts, and watch as the attorney woooshes out of the prison to file a multi-bazillion dollar lawsuit?

I know it's been said, but I'm really confused. So what?

By the way, I understand Obma doesn't know what to do with the Gitmo prisoners, and they're on hunger strikes. Is there a solution here?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

We were all lost once.... allowing someone the time to see the error of their ways is what life is all about.

There is more knowledge in fixing something than from destroying it.

Time is the only murderer the universe needs.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Honestly, who gives a crap what convicts do. If they want to starve to death, who cares? Fewer convicts, lower taxes. Everybody wins.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

You spent nine days in jail, not prison.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I hope you never have to break the law to feed yourself or your family.

That's what welfare and food stamps are for.

By the way, how many inmates in the US prison system have been convicted of stealing food?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join