It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Irony of the West Exporting Democracy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I watched my less-than enigmatic Prime Minister, Baby Chops speaking about exporting democracy to countries like Syria etc and had to smile. Did he say exporting Democracy? Did he mean to infer that we have a democracy in Britain? Does he mean he is giving our democracy away?

I wondered what other members think, not only on the UK and USA, but also ln other countries in the West today, do we still have a democracy in our countries?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

It depends on how strictly you want to define the concept of "democracy".

Here in Canada we have democracy, similar to that of our western Allies and partners. However, in the truest sense of the ideology, we would be seen as bastardizing it to meet the goals/ambitions of a selection few individuals and groups, while maintain the illusion of fair and unbiased political system to the masses.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shiloh7
I watched my less-than enigmatic Prime Minister, Baby Chops speaking about exporting democracy to countries like Syria etc and had to smile. Did he say exporting Democracy? Did he mean to infer that we have a democracy in Britain? Does he mean he is giving our democracy away?

I wondered what other members think, not only on the UK and USA, but also ln other countries in the West today, do we still have a democracy in our countries?

Cameron wouldn't know democracy if it punched him on the nose, he is a prat, we have less freedom here that Syria has under Assad, Cameron is like the last 5 letters in Democracy he's Crazy and should be in a secure building for everyone's sake.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by Shiloh7

It depends on how strictly you want to define the concept of "democracy".

Here in Canada we have democracy, similar to that of our western Allies and partners. However, in the truest sense of the ideology, we would be seen as bastardizing it to meet the goals/ambitions of a selection few individuals and groups, while maintain the illusion of fair and unbiased political system to the masses.

Thats a neat summation of what democracy really is, and pretty much all it ever was - Ancient Greece was not some egalitarian, all-inclusive utopia after all.

The exportation of democracy is of course nowt but a euphemism and a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Have our cuddly democracy, all it will cost you is the destruction of your hopes, your way of life and countless thousands of lives.

Oh, and all your natural resources and any chance of real future self determination. Sweet.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Ancient Greece was not some egalitarian, all-inclusive utopia after all.

Quite true. Only "citizens" could participate and these citizens included those that had a vested interest in politics, like the politicians, businessmen and those of status.

In my opinion this remains to ring true today. We have the politicians, the exceedingly wealthy, the corporations all imposing their invisible influence on the political landscape of x,y,z nation. This is not what true Democracy embodies.

I find in interesting, as alluded to in the OP, that in the wests attempt to spread democratic freedom, when in reality we are exporting a means for eventual subjugation..
edit on 8-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I feel we had 'democracy throughout the so-called 'Good Old Days", despite poverty and all the history of the 50s to the 90's which for most of us, were not so bad. In fact we were able to work for things and see improvements in our country and our own standard of living. I never felt threatened politically or democratically. I did feel we had a government that had democtatic values that led us to have a shared optimism for a decent future.

Perhaps it was our idea that we lived in a democracy that give us hope. Today its very different, many are frightened of upsetting powerful political individuals or interests that those individuals will protect despite their duty of working for a democracy and working within the law.

There has been a subtle but fundamental change though, which is especially apparent in the media due not only to its limited and uninspirational ownership, but also to the shackling of our journalists which has led to a complete lack of any form of investigative journalism.

Things seem to be slipping away from our democratic society as does our input to make things better. Its a great pity we can't see a way forward and all we can see abroad where 'democracy' has and is being introduced are piles of rubble, refugees and dead bodies.

Perhaps its time for some inovative democratic thinking.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

We're not exporting democracy, we're importing Islam's Sharia. Go look at the U.K., France, Belgium and soon to be Switzerland.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Fabulously ill-informed. You do realise you have sharia courts in the US, btw?

top topics

join