It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Gunman Who Shot Pope to Be Freed in 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The man who shot Pope John Paul II will be free in 2005 following a decision of a Turkish court to reduce his sentence. Mehmet Ali Agca, 46, has been in jail since 1981. He was extradited back to Turkey in 2000 following 20 years of prison in Italy.

story.news.yahoo.com
ANKARA, Turkey - A Turkish court reduced the prison term Monday for the man who shot Pope John Paul II in 1981, allowing his release at the end of next year, his lawyer said.

Turkish citizen Mehmet Ali Agca, 46, was extradited to Turkey in 2000 after serving almost 20 years in Italy for shooting and wounding the pope in St. Peter's Square in Rome. His motives for the attack remain unclear.

Upon his return to Turkey, Agca immediately was sent to prison to serve a 10-year sentence for murdering Turkish journalist Abdi Ipekci in 1979. He was separately sentenced to seven years and four months for two robberies in Turkey the same year.

The Istanbul court ruled Monday that Agca should only serve the longest sentence � his conviction for killing Ipekci, Agca's lawyer Dogan Yildirim said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He immediately placed in prison for a murder he had committed in 1979. He had escaped from prison after serving only 6 months and resurfaced in Rome with the assassination attempt. His motives for the attempt remain unclear. However, persistent rumors remain that it was a Bulgarian Intelligence operation that has been sanctioned by the Soviets.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Wow, thats pretty weird considering that the pope could die at any moment. I wonder if he'll try anything again. No doubt he will be under constant survielance.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Sorry double post.

[edit on 11/8/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Pope went to prison to forgive him and I even heard that this gunman converted to catholicism so I don't think he'll be making troubles anymore.

[edit on 9-11-2004 by Megaquad]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In fact there is a chance that some Catholic fanatics would try and avenge the Pope. So that Turkish guy better get a large life insurance policy and write it off to charity.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
In fact there is a chance that some Catholic fanatics would try and avenge the Pope. So that Turkish guy better get a large life insurance policy and write it off to charity.

Or, get the insurance and make the bene a extreemist group. Kill me and I will fund more terrorist or something like that. Kind of a poison pill thing. May make them think twice eh?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think not. It is somewhat amusing that an individual with a predilection for murder/attempted assassination is set free... But the media needs to pay their bills too, and this guy still has a story or two left in him... Regardless of what happens.

top topics

join