It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scalia: No Right to 'Homosexual Conduct' in Constitution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i believe his point is that this isn't a legal issue, but a moral one. judges can rule on legality, not morality,

Yep. I got that. But the thing is .... this really isn't a moral issue but a civil rights one. I understand that people are trying to make it a moral issue. But it's not. It's a civil rights issue and that is something that the supreme court is supposed to get involved with .... civil rights.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Just heard DOMA has been ruled unconstitutional. No confirmation yet.

Confirmed:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/26/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yep. I got that. But the thing is .... this really isn't a moral issue but a civil rights one. I understand that people are trying to make it a moral issue. But it's not. It's a civil rights issue and that is something that the supreme court is supposed to get involved with .... civil rights.

good point. i would agree. it is unlawful to deny rights to those who engage in an activity that isn't illegal, and i hope he will vote accordingly. i suppose it becomes a legal issue when rights are denied because of an act that does not affect anyone else.

there is no legal reason to deny same sex marriage, and i have never heard a convincing argument for a moral reason either.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Just heard DOMA has been ruled unconstitutional. No confirmation yet.

Confirmed:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/26/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Indeed it was, and I agree with the SCOTUS

Good ruling, IMO

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I support this ruling as the Federal Government should not be involved in legislating moral issues.

Leave this issue to the states where it belongs.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
wow, some people are ignorant of history. The man is stating that he judges all laws as they would when the constitution was written. Get that WRITTEN....

He is saying that the choice of abortion and gay marriage are not subjects for which the Supreme Court should rule on. I agree, They should not its a states right/ majority of the peoples right to rule on these issues.

I have read already that, that the fate of Doma and Prop 8 were struck down, It should never have gotten that far, the people have a voice, the only thing Prop 8 did was kill the voice and make it to wear the people no longer matter.

I applaud that gay marriage can happen now, I am sad that in order for that to take place, the court deemed fit to take away the peoples voice in the matter at hand.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I agree with Scalia. I say we make him president.

Now for all this silliness to blow away, i'd vote that we abolish marriage as anything the government has any say so in altogether. This will shut those people up. They only want equal rights as a minority because they want tax breaks and handouts from the government.

I'm willing to live without any incentives from the Government to get married? Aren't you? Who's with me?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join