It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 planets, 1 system,could be habitable

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

Whether you colonize others planets or not, humans conflicts will never end. But they will spread. Thats why im against it and probably not the only one.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
If there is intelligent life similar to ours on those planets, you can bet that they are at war with each other. Mabye they have wiped each other out. No doubt it would have similar survival instincts. After all, humans are not the only violent species on this planet.

look at it this way, our arrival in there system would do nothing more than unite the warring factions of there world in exactly the same manner as if there were to arrive here.

We would simply begin to fight the alien threat rather than the other nations of our world. Maybe that's how evolution works we graduate to killing interstellar rather than terrestrial species.

Now all we need is a working star drive or dimensional gateway, and we are off on another killing spree!

That's colonization for you, the weaker species always gets proper screwed!
edit on 26-6-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by emberscott
How do they know anything about the habitability. Who went there? How long did they staythere? What studies did they do there? Did they take pics or video? When did they come back here?

Dude read it, they have NO idea on the habitability, all they know is where the planets are in relation to their star which is in the 'Goldilocks' zone which could potentially harbor a planet like ours.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
There are a lot more factors required than just being in the goldilocks zone such as the planet being large enough for sufficient gravity to retain its atmosphere which needs to be non-noxious, a magnetic field to shield against harmful radiation, average temperature above freezing but not too hot and of course liquid water in abundance etc etc

We might make the 22LY journey only to find 2 Venuses and a Mars - very disappointing.
edit on 26/6/2013 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

reply to post by winofiend

Or maybe earth is like the rough neighbourhood that everyone avoids going near for fear of what would happen if they got involved.

LOL...Yep...Earth....The Bronx of the Universe !!! Aliens run red lights so they don't gert their space ships put on blocks...lmao !

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PheonixReborn

Umm, only the moon? Aren't we getting pictures back from the rover on mars?
That is what I find interesting about stories like this of other possible habitable planets, while it would be great if we could send real people there, at least we have the possibility of some day sending a rover, that could at least send back pictures and maybe data of air quality, make up, that sort of thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

That is what I find interesting about stories like this of other possible habitable planets, while it would be great if we could send real people there, at least we have the possibility of some day sending a rover, that could at least send back pictures and maybe data of air quality, make up, that sort of thing.

The technology to send Humans to Mars has been around since the turn of the millennium, keeping them alive while there however is another story altogether and as for a return journey, that really would be impressive!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This video really puts it into perspective: www.eso.org...

It shows the orbit of 7 planets in the same time as it takes for Earth to go around the sun once.

Planet One does 50 orbits per 1 Earth year
Planet Two does 21 orbits per 1 Earth year
Planet Three does 12 orbits per 1 Earth year
Planet Four does 9 orbits per Earth year
Planet Five does 6 orbits per Earth year
Planet Six does 4 orbits per Earth year
Planet Seven does 1.5 orbits per Earth year

Planets Four and Five are the ones within the zone
Planet Four would have one of their own years for every 40 of our days
Planet Five would have one of their own years for every 60 of our days

Check out this page for further information: www.eso.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I posted this in the "Space Exploration" forum, but it didn't get quite so many replies.

Scientists find evidence...

I'm hoping that more finds like this would force the powers that be to rethink their budgets for the space industry, but that's probably being very optimistic.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

They can look and analyze the light spectrum of the Exo-planet

The primary scientific objective of the ESM mission is to analyze and determine the composition of the atmospheres of transiting exoplanets. This is possible by observing the exoplanet and its parent star during a primary (or secondary) transit, when the planet passes in front of (or behind) the star.

Exoplanet Spectroscopy
edit on 26/6/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
There will come a day when we find life and it just won't be biological.Then will come another and another...it will just rain life everywhere. In a universe so big there is life out there and once we become more advanced we will find that out.

EDIT: I should note once that information is published to the public because I already know there is life elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
I posted this in the "Space Exploration" forum, but it didn't get quite so many replies.

Scientists find evidence...

I'm hoping that more finds like this would force the powers that be to rethink their budgets for the space industry, but that's probably being very optimistic.

The people need to want it first. No one blinked an eye when they cut NASA. I don't think TPTB could get away with it if people were just more interested in it. I don't see how people aren't. Its disappointing.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
3 possibly habitable planets in one system. Makes me wonder: Is it advantageous to be an "only child" like in our system (only one habitable planet, only one 'intelligent' species), or is it better to have other planets in your own solar system with intelligent life? Would we have already advanced beyond our current violent, hateful, war-like state if there was other intelligent life on other planets in our system, or would we just have wars with them too?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

reply to post by winofiend

Or maybe earth is like the rough neighbourhood that everyone avoids going near for fear of what would happen if they got involved.

-Guy from Pet Cemetery-
"Don't go down THAT road, a lot of history on that road..."

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dougie6665

Actually I think we might advance far quicker than anyone expects. Think of how quickly we have advanced since the development of computers. Now Quantum Computers far more powerful than anything we have (1,000s of times more powerful would likely be a gross understatement) are expected right around the corner. Things we could accomplish with those could be amazing.

Although I still wouldn't really expect traveling to another star in my lifetime but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened within my kids lifetime. Of course no one can know, I just think we will accomplish amazing things much quicker than most people expect.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Entertaining article astrobioloblog.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

We've actually sent our technology much farther than just mars. Several of our out bound spacecraft have travelled well beyond it. I believe voyager 1 is past pluto at this point and on the verge of exiting our galaxy within the next decade. It is actually still sending us back usable data to this date. It is currently in spot in our solar system known as the Heliosheath which is 14 billion Km from earth!

voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

I think its a bit limiting to only look for life in so called "habitable zones" because that idea works upon the predilection that all life must form in similar scenarios to our own. When in fact for all we know (because we really have no other data on the subject) we could be the exception to the rule and not just the rule. Also look at the moon Europa in our own system. Its one of our best hopes for finding life in our own system and it lies outside of the habitable zone yet all the data suggests that it has liquid water because it is heated from the center and not the outside. the planets in this newly discovered system may have lots of moons which could all sustain life as well and just as in the case of Europa which lie far beyond the habitable zone. I caught this article the other day. very interesting! sad though that well more than likely never get any validation one way or the other on the subject because the distances between our worlds are currently insurmountable.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
awesome find! s& f

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You know , I think now is the time to become a radio telescope amateur in your own backyard . And place those telescopes on the exact location where those star systems are located , if we can trace the coordinates? Is there a way of making your own amateur radio telescope without interference from earth ?

That would be something the WOW signal in your backyard.. Because I don't think SETI will ever gonna say that they found another radio signal......

Well I found it we can do it our selfs and build our own Radio telescope

What would happen if there were thousands of these amateurs and linked up there telescopes??? wouldn't that be be bigger than Arecibo?
edit on 29-6-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join