It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 planets, 1 system,could be habitable

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Wasn't sure if to put this in science or Aliens, but yea Aliens it is. As they could contain life. Not in life as greys, but as in anything from bacteria to intelligent life.

www.foxnews.com...

Complain about Fox if you like

22 light years away in the Scorpius constellation is where you will find this solar system these planets reside in. Astronomers are saying they are in the habitable zone. Of course we can only see from our telescopes so you can speculate on what type of life if any is there. I usually assume when they say habitable there will be life. Some kind of life. Why would our rock be the only one in billions of planets that have life? Not saying there is life on the moon/mars of course, but the more planets we find in this "Goldee Locks" zone the more of a chance we have at finding life.

3 planets being habitable in 1 system is also a first time discovery.

"This is the first time that three such planets have been spotted orbiting in this zone in the same system," astronomer Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institute for Science who participated in the study said.

I wish I lived in a time when 22 light years was 22 minutes away. The strides we could make if conflict and disagreement wasn't the norm on our rock.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If there is intelligent life similar to ours on those planets, you can bet that they are at war with each other. Mabye they have wiped each other out. No doubt it would have similar survival instincts. After all, humans are not the only violent species on this planet.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Wouldn't that be something. To finally to put everything behind us and advance our tech enough to reach these places only to find ruins. Or an on-going war.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
How do they know anything about the habitability. Who went there? How long did they staythere? What studies did they do there? Did they take pics or video? When did they come back here?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

When they say habitable they mean in the Goldee Locks zone. Not to hot, not to cold.

Astronomers discovered a solar system packed with planets three of which are habitable -- meaning in the zone around the star where liquid water could exist, making them possible candidates for the presence of life.

^^From link.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I saw this earlier today, pretty impressive to find a solar system with that many planets in the goldilocks zone. The possibilities of life in our galaxy are endless when you consider the extreme diversity of life here on Earth with the discovery of tube worms and such that live at extreme temps and depths in the oceans and get their sustenance off of hydrogen sulfides and methane.

I honestly believe that our galaxy is teaming with life of all developmental stages from simple bacteria to highly advanced life forms that could rival us. When you take into consideration that the Milky Way is 100,000 plus light years wide and has over 300 billion stars the possibility are limitless.

If even 1% of the stars in the Milky Way have planets orbiting them and 1% of those stars have planets within the goldilocks zone that leaves 30 million solar systems capable of supporting life. If we were to postulate that 1/2% of those 30 million solar systems contained any form of advanced life we would still have 150,000 solar systems with possible advanced life.

IMHO anyone that thinks we are alone in this galaxy, much less universe is in a state of denial. Of course these numbers are all just postulations and it is only my opinion and we all know what they say about those.

Great find though, S&F!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by emberscott
How do they know anything about the habitability.

Probably by observing the place from afar.

Who went there?

They did!

How long did they staythere?

All the time!

What studies did they do there?

All of them!

Did they take pics or video?

Both, and pics of video.

When did they come back here?

Before.

Now, they probably do what all sciency types do and observe. I mean, there's no guarantee. But I'm no scientist.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

For all we know, the Earth is the small island in the middle of the ocean, a Galapagos of sorts, containing a bunch of weird creatures that talk and make things.. but on the other side of the ocean, is civilisation, not even thinking about looking there because there's probably nothing to see in the middle of the ocean.

I'd like to think of it like that, life is not really hard to propagate even in the most harsh environments. Once it starts it remains in some form.

It would be a real eye opener to realise that despite all of our assumed importance, that we're the lonely little island far removed from all the really advanced beings...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
I honestly believe that our galaxy is teaming with life of all developmental stages from simple bacteria to highly advanced life forms that could rival us.

Rival us?

There are probably civilizations out there that could kick the living cr*p out of us!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

Arther C. Clarke was once quoted as saying something like this:

"There are two possibilities in the universe, one is that we are alone and the other is that we are not, both are as equally terrifying."

Whilst very true, I believe it's just a matter of time before we find life, NASA have accepted it and I think a lot of people have also.

The next point in question will be, how advanced is it?

That's all on the public front ofc, privately I believe that advanced alien life is known about as they have already been here

edit on 25-6-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Or maybe earth is like the rough neighbourhood that everyone avoids going near for fear of what would happen if they got involved.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
reply to post by winofiend

Or maybe earth is like the rough neighbourhood that everyone avoids going near for fear of what would happen if they got involved.

We've only managed to get to our moon.

If someone could get here from another star system I really don't think they'd be bothered about us causing them any bother.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
If there is intelligent life similar to ours on those planets, you can bet that they are at war with each other. Mabye they have wiped each other out. No doubt it would have similar survival instincts. After all, humans are not the only violent species on this planet.

I don't know about that, if they were truly intelligent life forms, than I think that they would have figured out that war isn't exactly the smartest way to live peaceably (happily) on a planet. Ahhh... for some intelligent good life forms.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isittruee
reply to post by Firefly_

Wouldn't that be something. To finally to put everything behind us and advance our tech enough to reach these places only to find ruins. Or an on-going war.

Competition is the norm, in nature. I hung some hummingbird feeders in my backyard. Now, there's a large hummingbird camped out in my apple tree and any time other hummingbirds approach for a drink, he swoops down and pecks them to holy hell and chases them away. No joke. He has claimed them as his and is not about to share with anyone.

For some reason, the general consensus here is that aliens = enlightenment or peace. That's a nice thought/idea and all but, that's likely not the case.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Now we know where the ET's come from...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I love anything to do with space, this is awesome news.

Although claiming they are habitable is very misleading, they are in the habitable zone but we are far from telling how habitable they are right now. Technically as I understand it Mars is in the habitable zone, just being there doesn't mean they are habitable.

Having said that I think we will eventually learn life is all over in our galaxy. Finding three possible planets in the habitable zone in one solar system is amazing.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by inquisitive1977

Astronomers discover new planets, 3 are habitable

That is title of the report on Fox.
Yes, I know it sounds misleading. Should've cleared my Title up a bit. They just mean they are in the zone. Let me see if I can edit that.

All better.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I did mean mainly title mainly not yours, it was clear you used what they had. Doesn't change how exciting the news is really though, as far as we know we could actually live on all three.

Hopefully discoveries like this will encourage people to really push the envelope to try and discover much quicker, or mch more efficient ways to travel long distances in space.
edit on 25-6-2013 by inquisitive1977 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by inquisitive1977
I did mean mainly title mainly not yours, it was clear you used what they had. Doesn't change how exciting the news is really though, as far as we know we could actually live on all three.

Hopefully discoveries like this will encourage people to really push the envelope to try and discover much quicker, or mch more efficient ways to travel long distances in space.
edit on 25-6-2013 by inquisitive1977 because: (no reason given)

I hope so. But, the reality is that we are probably two thousand years away from having the technology to attempt a manned flight to another solar system and being successful. I wish it would be during my lifetime in order to experience what is truly in our galaxy, but, that is not likely... We have to figure out how to get to Mars first and survive long term. That is likely to take a couple hundred years. While we might get there in the next 30 years, I am guessing the first 'settlers' on Mars have a tough time of it.

To get humans to another solar system, we are going to first have to either go there or get instrument readings to figure out if the planets are truly habitable. That is going to take a long time. Then building the craft and getting there. But at this point, I am beginning to wonder if it will ever happen. If humans synthesize with machines as is being predicted, would a machine have the inquisitive nature to explore when their survival may not depend on it. In other words, the more interesting question may be who are we when we are technologically capable.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Neat find.

Technically there are three planets in the habitable zone around Sol too. (At least in terms of distance from the star.) But only one is "just right". So many other factors at play.

Still the odds are improved when you find something with as much similarity to our own system.

Now if only these planets pass in front of their star at a time where we could use that to analyze their atmospheric makeup...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join