It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statement by Julian Assange after One Year in Ecuadorian Embassy - 06.22.13

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Below is the full text of a speech Julian Assange was supposed to give from the Ecuadorian Embassy in London yesterday. Unfortunately, a "security situation" prevented him from making it in person. Wikileaks kindly republished it in full. It is a very timely statement, given the new world we find ourselves in.

I would ordinarily include the link to the original text at this point but I can't.

ATS censors that particular link. (wiki-leaks.org - without the hyphen it becomes a row of underscores) which speaks volumes about ATS and this thread probably will be derailed at the get-go if not deleted but here goes anyway...

Here is Assange's speech for your consideration.
www.commondreams.org...

It has now been a year since I entered this embassy and sought refuge from persecution.

As a result of that decision, I have been able to work in relative safety from a US espionage investigation.

But today, Edward Snowden’s ordeal is just beginning.

Two dangerous runaway processes have taken root in the last decade, with fatal consequences for democracy. Government secrecy has been expanding on a terrific scale. Simultaneously, human privacy has been secretly eradicated.

A few weeks ago, Edward Snowden blew the whistle on an ongoing program - involving the Obama administration, the intelligence community and the internet services giants - to spy on everyone in the world.

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sat Jun 22 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: added source, shortened text, added EX tags

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, this is both brave and chilling...

Wonderful avatar, I can see that on posters the world over soon.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The man speaks the absolute truth! The utter hypocrisy of our government is maddening. !984 is here Patriots now take on the title of traitor. Meanwhile, the true traitors sit in their untouchable towers and tout themselves as patriots.
edit on 22-6-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I hope things like this see more public media attention and I REALLY hope people begin to understand who the real criminals are in this world.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
Thanks for posting, this is both brave and chilling...

Wonderful avatar, I can see that on posters the world over soon.

Well, they censored it but kindly...

Feel free to steal avatar, signalfire, and anyone else who feels like it.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Archie

Thank you for posting - I am always very interested to know what is happening with Julian Assange. He speaks the truth - but then so did Galileo and he was imprisoned for his efforts. I do believe people are learning the truth just seems to be slowly. The unfortunate part of the Julian Assange ordeal is that he is dealing with psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists who are in positions of authority. He is a hero as is Bradley Manning.

Having been labelled a whistleblower myself I understand this situation and it is an ordeal all the way. Thank you again for posting.

Much Peace...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
What? No Trolls

I wonder what will become of Assange Snowden & Manning?

These three cases present quite a lesson as to the DIShonesty of the msm worldwide. Just look at the way (if at all) its being reported.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
What? No Trolls

I wonder what will become of Assange Snowden & Manning?

These three cases present quite a lesson as to the DIShonesty of the msm worldwide. Just look at the way (if at all) its being reported.

They will be okay.
The experience of Daniel Elsberg really set in concrete how these play-out over time. Recall Henry Kissemger on the news in a tirade and disinformation campaign? Nothing stupid was tried by Nixon and nothing stupid will be attempted by Obama.
We still don't know as much as insiders do, but they will write books, appear on NPR, etc.
They will suffer some, but survive just fine.

Regarding no shills, it is Saturday night and even evil government doesn't pay OT pay...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The thing is, the same people they're going to have to hire to staff the NSA spy center in Utah are the geeks and computer whiz's that will sympathize with Assange and Snowden.

Buy stock in whistles... I predict tens of thousands of people will come forward at some point in a modern version of 'I AM SPARTACUS!'

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Curious he did not mention Michael Hastings with one word especially in light of:

Hastings is one of the few reporters in the world to have conducted and published a major interview with Assange. He interviewed him back in December 2011 when Pfc. Bradley Manning first appeared in a military court at Fort Meade. Assange was still in a home in the British countryside under house arrest.

Let me quote a bit more from this source - I will include a link at the bottom of this post!

Hastings, unlike many other journalists, took seriously the fact that the United States government had decided to target Assange. He did not suggest that Assange was conjuring up conspiracy theories about how he was being persecuted because he was an egomaniac. He listened to what Assange had to say about how the Justice Department was likely pursuing him in a widespread investigation.

a bit more:

Hastings was willing to sympathize with Assange about the fact that the “Anglo-American press” had given him very little support. He asked about the New York Times‘ Bill Keller and how WikiLeaks was different from a mainstream news organization. Assange was able to talk about the Times smearing him and Hastings listened.

He was generally interested in what Assange and WikiLeaks were trying to do. He did not ask questions to smear or call into question Assange’s character. They were asked to help the public understand who Assange was and why he had founded WikiLeaks, as well as to respectfully test some of Assange’s claims about his past actions. A standard for interviewing someone like Assange that few journalists follow was set by Hastings. His passion and commitment to journalism will be missed.

All of the above quoted from Rereading Michael Hastings’ Interview with Julian Assange

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I hope these guys go into the history books as heroes.
I can't believe the British gov. spends so much of our taxes on this matter.
Brave people to stand up to TPTB.
I wish the rest of us had the balls to do it (me included).

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
It is uncanny how one this country's founders, had the insight that it could eventually get out of control....

"Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide."

John Adams

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
It is uncanny how one this country's founders, had the insight that it could eventually get out of control....

"Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide."

John Adams

Worth noting that when John Adams wrote that, the U.S. was a Republic, not a democracy.

X

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xatnys

Originally posted by charlyv

John Adams

Worth noting that when John Adams wrote that, the U.S. was a Republic, not a democracy.

X

Great point. Perhaps, we still are a Republic, with the inclusion of many Democratic ideals. I wonder if John would re-write this quote today, or just let it stand the test of time. One thing I really believe, is if we had more people in high government like John Adams today, the PTB would have a real adversary.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I wonder if you have any bigger and clear versions of that Avatar? Facebook requires a 180 pixel width minimum.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindBodySpiritComplex
Curious he did not mention Michael Hastings with one word especially in light of:

Hastings is one of the few reporters in the world to have conducted and published a major interview with Assange. He interviewed him back in December 2011 when Pfc. Bradley Manning first appeared in a military court at Fort Meade. Assange was still in a home in the British countryside under house arrest.

Let me quote a bit more from this source - I will include a link at the bottom of this post!

Hastings, unlike many other journalists, took seriously the fact that the United States government had decided to target Assange. He did not suggest that Assange was conjuring up conspiracy theories about how he was being persecuted because he was an egomaniac. He listened to what Assange had to say about how the Justice Department was likely pursuing him in a widespread investigation.

[

I wonder if this was written before the death of hastings, it seems reasonable to assume it was. it was published the 22nd so was probably written earlier.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
The thing is, the same people they're going to have to hire to staff the NSA spy center in Utah are the geeks and computer whiz's that will sympathize with Assange and Snowden.

Buy stock in whistles... I predict tens of thousands of people will come forward at some point in a modern version of 'I AM SPARTACUS!'

I am not sure how long this will be true or if it is true. There have been many many science writeups this last year about their progress on immortality.

it seems like they tell us something will be around inso many years and that means it is already there for certain % of the population.

It is possible at some point that chosen people will live many many years or forever while the rest of us simply remain fodder.

Aubrey de Grey, a researcher who has developed a series of biomedical rejuvenation strategies to reverse human aging (called SENS), believes that his proposed plan for ending aging may be implementable in two or three decades.[4] The absence of aging would provide humans with biological immortality, but not invulnerability to death by physical trauma.

en.wikipedia.org...

Look it up there are some really amazing articles about this.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindBodySpiritComplex

a bit more:

Hastings was willing to sympathize with Assange about the fact that the “Anglo-American press” had given him very little support. He asked about the New York Times‘ Bill Keller and how WikiLeaks was different from a mainstream news organization. Assange was able to talk about the Times smearing him and Hastings listened.

He was generally interested in what Assange and WikiLeaks were trying to do. He did not ask questions to smear or call into question Assange’s character. They were asked to help the public understand who Assange was and why he had founded WikiLeaks, as well as to respectfully test some of Assange’s claims about his past actions. A standard for interviewing someone like Assange that few journalists follow was set by Hastings. His passion and commitment to journalism will be missed.

All of the above quoted from Rereading Michael Hastings’ Interview with Julian Assange

if assange is not genuine (and he is not), then the michael hastings character and
their interview must be viewed with extreme scepticism.
assange has encouraged his 'followers' to accept the
official government 9/11 conspiracy theory, in spite of it being the biggest pile
of tosh ever published.

uh oh!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Is Assange disallowed from travelling to Ecudador by the British authorities? Are his accomodations with the Ecuadorian facilities? I can't believe he is still there after an entire year!!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
The man speaks the absolute truth! The utter hypocrisy of our government is maddening. !984 is here Patriots now take on the title of traitor. Meanwhile, the true traitors sit in their untouchable towers and tout themselves as patriots.
edit on 22-6-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

Well said but it only takes a spark to change the world and already the news is full of protests and it only a matter of time before the people go after these 'true traitors sit in their untouchable towers'

Obama dare not be anywhere near the public without ten inch of bullet proof glass to protect him because he understands the hate people in the street have towards him and his banker friends

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join