It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
What fascinates me is where Deen got her legal team from. Even a bunch of first year law students would have seen what a total PR disaster the case had the potential to be and would have urged her to settle the lawsuit as fast as possible.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Thanks to this thread, every single one of us said the N-word in our heads.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DelMarvel

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize Paula Deen hired a consulting firm to investigate Bubba's restaurant but then didn't do anything about the findings. She sounds like my mom, can't handle the truth about a family member so goes into denial about it. But her lack of business sense in the human resources department is sad for someone with such a giant empire.

Can someone tell me why all the companies she's connected with dropped her? Was it because of the lawsuit or because she uttered the N-word?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl

Can someone tell me why all the companies she's connected with dropped her? Was it because of the lawsuit or because she uttered the N-word?

As many have argued here, it could certainly be just because of a knee-jerk reaction to the use of that word. Or it could be that in combination with the rest of the allegations.

Some of the companies didn't drop her until after the Matt Lauer interview so that might be as a result of how she's handling this.

The majority of public perception seems to be that the entire issue is just her using the N-word once years ago so she's probably going to forgiven by many and will recover from this to some extent----probably not back to her previous success but in a niche market.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMarvel

Originally posted by texasgirl

As many have argued here, it could certainly be just because of a knee-jerk reaction to the use of that word. Or it could be that in combination with the rest of the allegations.

Some of the companies didn't drop her until after the Matt Lauer interview so that might be as a result of how she's handling this.

The majority of public perception seems to be that the entire issue is just her using the N-word once years ago so she's probably going to forgiven by many and will recover from this to some extent----probably not back to her previous success but in a niche market.

Thanks for answering that. I now wonder if there is going to be a rush for her products before they become phased out?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
P.D. is pretty stupid to call a black person in her employ a racist epithet. End of story for an employer.
If she were just another person that had no connection to Deen then it would still be stupid but not necessarily something to sue over. Black people use the word as if it were the fourth conjunction in a schoolhouse rock cartoon but that doesn't make it right either.

Society is simply in an ongoing witch hunt that will never end as long as people act like people. We're not becoming any more enlightened. It's just become legally fashionable to hate a new demographic.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I am going to repeat what I said earlier in this thread:

From what I understand....Paula Deen is retired from several of her past TV shows. She has a net worth of several million...so she won't starve!

She has made some serious mistakes in the past...and I truly believe she is really sorry; and I also think that those mistakes she made in the past...she corrected herself... and has not participated for quite sometime in the past (inappropriate behaviors) that she did do at one time.

I believe in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances...especially when the person involved is contrite and no longer does the things they once did...people can change for the better...and I believe that Paul Deen has done just that.

I think that Paula Deen deserves forgiveness and more chances to make it right.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
She has made some serious mistakes in the past...and I truly believe she is really sorry; and I also think that those mistakes she made in the past...she corrected herself... and has not participated for quite sometime in the past (inappropriate behaviors) that she did do at one time.

Great. Give her a second chance. But this wasn't one mistake and it wasn't "quite sometime in the past."

There was racial and sexual harassment in the workplace at the business operated by her and her brother during at least 2005-2010; she's admitted she was warned about this; she was told there were grounds for a lawsuit and she didn't do anything. I haven't seen any evidence that she "corrected herself" on any of that short of being sued and hauled through the coals in the media.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Regardless of the various details given about her (and I am not so sure all of them are true)....I still think she should be forgiven and given another chance in life.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Regardless of the various details given about her (and I am not so sure all of them are true)....I still think she should be forgiven and given another chance in life.

The woman is a multi-millionaire. She's set whether she gets "another chance in life" or not. I've got more sympathy for the low wage folks who were working under an apparent idiot like Bubba Hiers. Just my predispositions.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

i am adding my support to paula deen. although she has made a verbal error of using an unpopular word, I think the vendors who have cancelled their contracts with her are hypocrites.
I have patronized the local store of a national retailer, who cancelled paula deen, for almost twenty years. yet, I have never seen a black person working as a salesperson. I have seen one black man working in purchase delivery and one black woman working security.
I estimate the Hispanics comprise fifty percent of the sales people ( many employers in this area cater to the Hispanics political agenda of domination over the remaining population).
I think the vendors who cancelled paula deen should also state the percentage of black employees it has on its payroll, but will not state those employee facts, as everyone would know they are hypocrites. I hope paula deen takes civil action on those vendors and succeeds in exposing them as hypocrites and recovers her financial losses from those vendors.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine.

No one can do anything right these days, especially whitey. And if it ain't whitey, it's fatty and if it ain't fatty, it's ugly and if it ain't ugly, it's dipstick.

When are we going to let humans be human and stop worrying about what doesn't matter?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
update
Racial Bias Claim Dismissed for Paula Deen

www.nytimes.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well. Imagine that.

She pissed someone off, and it cost her a career. Lets see if she can make a tearful mea culpa to revive her career.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

She was close friends with Oprah and campaigned for Obama, I highly doubt she is racist, just has a foul mouth I don't care for the things she says.

I do think however think that they took this way to far, and this was a witch hunt.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I don't think she is racist, either. Not consciously, anyway (a product of her environment, which is much more tolerant than it once was).

But these witch hunts happen for a reason. Either a distraction, or she pissed someone off.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I don't think she is racist, either. Not consciously, anyway (a product of her environment, which is much more tolerant than it once was).

But these witch hunts happen for a reason. Either a distraction, or she pissed someone off.

People throw that word around for different reasons, I think she thinks she is funny.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join