It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You know,the more they are doing to her ,despite the fact there's none of it on tape ,just her admission to it ,the more its sounding like a witch hunt .
Lots of people have done worse,and have been forgiven .
I think Mike Vicks dog fighting was far worse ,and now they honor his pathetic career . He never should have played again ,ever.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
One point to remember here is that Paula Deen was not on trial just for saying the N word. She was testifying in public because of a lawsuit alleging pervasive sexual and racial harassment and violence at her business over a number of years. While anything is possible, it's difficult to believe that these charges are made up entirely out of whole cloth, especially as Deen has more or less admitted to several points and at least one person is specified by name as having been brought in to address the dysfunctional work environment. Had Deen taken care of business, she wouldn't have been on the stand and would never have had to publicly answer the question about what language she uses or used.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
You know,the more they are doing to her ,despite the fact there's none of it on tape ,just her admission to it ,the more its sounding like a witch hunt .
I think Mike Vicks dog fighting was far worse ,and now they honor his pathetic career . He never should have played again ,ever.

Mick Vick spent almost 2yrs in Jail lost all his sponsors plus fines and is still hated by dog lovers the world over so it's not like he just walked away..his industry hired him back so maybe she will get her chance at a come back will have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII

Well, I have not forgiven the Eagles for picking Vick up after his dog debacle.
And I won't.
Oh well, I didn't like the Eagles much before that anyway.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Paula Deen makes public apology and pleads that her and her family are not the kind of people the media is trying to make them out to be.

There are 3 videos at this link.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I do not believe she should apologize for doing nothing illegal - at this time - she should have waited until the trial was over. In many peoples minds this may seem like an admission of guilt. Where was her lawyer?

edit on 21-6-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

She lost me at "Hey Yawwlll"

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

Oh yea, she will. If she doesn't grow old and die first.

Folks love seeing celebrity grovelling. It is why we keep going back to Lindsey Lohan...she won't grovel for us.

But that "I HAVE SINNNED!!!!" moment, that is what Nielsen lives on.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

He never should have been allowed to play again . Subway honoree him ax man of the year.
He has all his sponsors back,and even owns dogs.
That never would have happened to an average person .
She said a word. He brutalized and killed living things ,multiple times. He's SCUM .

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

the more its sounding like a witch hunt .

Nope, they've found a witch....now, it is a burning at the stake.

She's done, she's toast. I don't know who her PR rep is, but hope they got fired. A public statement would have been FAR better than plastering yourself all over TV with interviews and apologies. She has KEPT it in the news with these actions.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
well i must admit, after reading what she allegedly said,
that's not a nice thing to do.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

are you from texas?

cause you're "yawll" comment is not indicative of a person who lives in the southern half of the US.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I do not care what this lady did years ago. I am guilty too.

It just seems to me that her persecutors need psychiatrists and not media voice or courtrooms.

What is important is how a person deports him/her self presently.

Is this another example of a society gone cowardly and irrational?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
She should of called everyone a "Creepy A$$ Cracker"...

Apparently that is OK.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
No way she should be sued. Political correctness has gone mad.

Doesn't the 1st Amendment mean anything anymore?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
No way she should be sued. Political correctness has gone mad.

Doesn't the 1st Amendment mean anything anymore?

Not in the course of conducting business with your employees. You simply can not treat your employees, even verbally, the way her brother (primarily) ans she treated their employees. Look, I don't know how much of the suit is true, but even if it turns out that only parts are true, those parts are simply not the way you speak to another human being, regardless of the 1st Amendment.

Give this a try. Open up a business, and then say any hateful thing you choose to say, whether it's to your employee(s), customers, or both. See how well that turns out for you.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by akalepos
I do not care what this lady did years ago. I am guilty too.

Once again, these charges are NOT from "years ago." They're from 2005-2010. Deen is the one saying it was a long time ago, not her accuser.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMarvel

Let's be frank here....her media persecution has NOTHING to do with the suit, but everything to do with her saying the n word. As ridiculous as it is, in the court of public opinion, she is done...no apology or appeal is going to help here. And, in crucifying her over it, we continue to give strength to a damn word....continue to make it powerful, when we should be stripping that power away...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I watched a movie on regular tv here a while back and the words 'n-word' and faggot were bleeped out. GD and SOB were not bleeped out and were said very plainly, I even heard the big "F" bomb as well. When did this happen in the US? Now all of the sudden 'n-word' and faggot trump out all other curse words? This has gotten ridiculous. Now you can apparently be sued for saying these words? WOW is all I can say....

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMarvel

Once again the suit came about after all the media hype. Someone is trying to cash in. Saying 'n-word' is not cause to hand over millions to someone. The whole suit is stupid.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So Target, Home Depot, Walmart, FoodNetwork, QVC, etc.. have all terminated her contracts. Now the release of her cookbook (that a bunch of people have prepaid for) is being cancelled. She is hemorraging contracts all over a stupid word? I don't buy her products but I think that is just ridiculous.

And Walmart? Since when are they holier-than-thou?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl
And Walmart? Since when are they holier-than-thou?

Walmart's sales are flat and the only new markets for them now are in urban and northern areas so they are very adverse to any hint of racial controversy. And, by the way, Deen's TV ratings were down (especially with key demographics) so the Food Network wasn't taking any big hit in dumping her.

Originally posted by Christian Voice
Once again the suit came about after all the media hype. .

Wrong. Unless you're talking about something in the last few weeks, Jackson's suit was filed in 2011. The media just recently started reporting on it.

Originally posted by Gazrok
And, in crucifying her over it, we continue to give strength to a damn word....continue to make it powerful, when we should be stripping that power away...

I see your point and I agree in a way. However, if in the 21st century Bubba Hiers was actually calling black employees "monkeys," making them use the back door and different bathrooms and telling n****r jokes behind their backs then we're not yet to the point where the power of the word is easily stripped away. The way, for example, that the power of the word "Mick" was gone when the Irish assimilated.

As far as Deen getting "crucified": the only reason she had to answer questions in the first place about what language she used is because of her being sued for alleged racial and sexual harassment and violence in the workplace at her business. There's no question that before the lawsuit she knew there were problems and complaints (LINK) and she obviously chose not to deal with it. She made her own bed and is not the best example of a martyr to political correctness.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join