It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking those with Hashimoto's

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I am seeing a surge of people with Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism.I also find that many are unable to find docs that know how to treat it.At the same time I see many who are reporting massive weight gain AFTER being put on T4 alone.Is there anybody on ATS with any of these or very similar issues?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
A friend of mine was diagnosed with if ,and another friend with graves disease,which is hyperthyroid ,but it seems like everyone's thyroid is out of whack.
I ,as always ,advise alternatives to meds . No one listens to me .
My friend with hashimotos can't lose weight .

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
You'll be wanting Armour's whole thyroid, about 1 grain for most people.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

yes I'll be wanting it but the docs aren't putting out.Take the Synthroid they say.You'll be fine they say.Don't worry,be happy and thats that.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

edit on 18-6-2013 by SilverStar33 because: Double post stupid phone

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

The weight gain will not stop.I used to be normal until I took that synthroid.Guess I should have stuck it out until a mxydema coma killed me.Seems better than eating so little and still gaining.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
There are 7 - 8 people in my family on one side alone that have same issue. It is autoimmune, but why the sudden outbreak and not in previous generations is something I am curious about. Was it in previous generations, but they didn't know what it was or didn't know how to test for it, or is it something that is just now showing up in people?

Docs seem to think the only test for Hashimoto's is the TSH and T4 Uptake. However, I have seen TPO and Thyroglobulin antibodies that are elevated when Hashimoto's first hits. It can take years for the T4 to become abnormal, but all the while, the metabolism stinks! Weight gain is rampant. Doesn't matter what kind of exercise or diet you are on, you still gain weight! And the doctors seem to think that you can just exercise all this weight away, which is NOT true!!

With any machine, it only works as good as the weakest part in it. When that part goes, it either ceases to run or it runs poorly. Over time, it will eventually quit working at all. Well, our thyroid keeps our metabolism functioning, which keeps the weight down. But when the thyroid isnt' working so well, we gain weight. Eventually the thyroid stops working altogether (Hypothyroidism), and that is when usually medical intervention happens. However, they need to find a way to help the thyroid in the interim BEFORE it decides to quit working altogether!! Maybe if they did, people would not gain so much weight and the health problems wouldn't accumulate!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStar33
reply to post by Bedlam

yes I'll be wanting it but the docs aren't putting out.Take the Synthroid they say.You'll be fine they say.Don't worry,be happy and thats that.

My thyroid crapped out about 5 years back, I developed an immunity to it (might have been Hashimoto's, they weren't sure) and just destroyed the thing. Figured it out when I gained about 60 pounds in three months. At first they put me on Armour, which was ok. Then they swapped out for synthroid and I was tired and draggy all the time even though I was euthyroid, and couldn't lose weight for the life of me.

Since the doc wouldn't cooperate, I switched myself back. You can do your own thyroid panel and order your own Armour, screw 'em.

If you don't have arrhythmias, T3 won't cause any issues. If you're prone to SVTs or WPWs, well, you might want to stay on synthroid, because T3 will aggravate it.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm broke.This is a 4 yr old feature phone that costs me .99 cents for a 24 hour period and is my only splurge.Single parent to 2.I am at the mercy of my endo.I am lucky to have that.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverStar33

You're getting the thyroid panels done on the insurance? Because he'll be doing them every six months or so.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

So right!I thank you for your validation.That is my question-why so pervasive all of a sudden?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

yes now every 6 mo.The first panels were a year apart.I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago.Appt. next week to see latest panels.Already had nodules last year.Pretty sure they're back.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

It would be nice if someone would find an answer. As it stands, I have gained @ 150 lbs since 1999 and I have not been able to lose it. About 60 lbs was gained in the past 6 years. There were times where I had gained 25 lbs in a month and a half and all the doctors could tell me was that it was my diet, but that had not changed. Then they said it was because every decade, your body naturally loses metabolism, but that did not make any sense either because I am less than 40, it shouldn't be as slow as an 80 year old's. I can eat 1000 calorie diet and still gain weight. Any less than that and I feel like I am starving. I quit drinking soda completely for a while. I quit eating sugar. I ate similar to South Beach diet and while that was healthier and I noticed some things improved, like my skin a little, but I still have metabolism issues and gained weight. My thyroid has not quit yet and I wish it would so they would HAVE to do something about it!!

Sorry, END RANT. Ugh! Sigh.

edit on 19-6-2013 by MountainEnigma because: End Rant.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

I have had the same told to me.I cut carbs,I gained.I have gained 40 in the last 3 yr period.My metabolism did not just quit when I turned 30.A few years before I ate what I liked and yes if I didn't watch it I would gain a few to five pounds.At this point I feel as if I just want to give up.Quit the synthroid and ignore it when my ankle skin turns to sandpaper like before my diagnosis.Rant as you like.My ears are open.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Well, let them pay for the panels and don't fill the synthroid. You can buy Armour for $10 a month or thereabouts, just use your docs' panel numbers to adjust your dosage of Armour.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
For people with thyroid disorders, what is your iodine intake like?
Do you take any, or are you told not to take any?
Just curious.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Well SilverStar & MountainEnigma, you are not alone!

I developed it a few years back, packed on 30 pounds pretty quick and always felt horrible. My doctor added a T3 pill (cytomel) to go with the synthryoid. I felt better, but the weight gain continued. The only time I lost weight was after going on a diet pill. But I didn't like the way I felt (jittery), so I stopped taking it after losing 30 lbs. Kept up the exercise & diet, still gained it all back.

Then I developed Type 1 Diabetes (autoimmune like Hashimoto's) and it has just made the weight gain worse.

What really sucks is a have an amazing doctor that will work with me and try different doses/therapy and nothing we've tried has help over the years. (I did the diet pill on my own, he wasn't happy about it but didn't object)

Sidenote: Has anyone else had to deal with the hair loss? About once or twice a year I lose about 20% of my hair and when it grows back, it's grey. Oh the joy!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
For people with thyroid disorders, what is your iodine intake like?
Do you take any, or are you told not to take any?
Just curious.

My doctor has never mentioned iodine concerns. One year I did switch to a sea salt w/o iodine and after a few months my TSH numbers shot up. The salt change was the only thing I did change during that time. I've stuck with iodized salt since then.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I'm so sorry. That sounds horrible

This is why I avoid medications unless its absolutely life or death . Literally .

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hair loss was one of my first symptoms.I was blessed with an abundance yet it is distressing when it comes out so fast.Where do you get your own Armour?And to you Ptomlly-thyroid can be life or death!Plus before I started Synthroid,I ached in my joints as if I were 80,my skin had dried out and I was acting like a zombie.Shuffling and unreal.I use iodozed salt,I have fainting if I don't keep my blood pressure up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join