It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's worker sues because they are getting paid by credit card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I did a cursory search for this topic and didn't find an exact match though I found some other similar threads so Mods please close this if it's a duplicate.

The general gist of the story is that "When she received her first paycheck, enclosed was a Chase Bank debit card with instructions on how to use it and the fees attached."

This to me seems like a way to take even more from the people that need it the most which are those working retail or for minimum wage. Really a bad setup.

Sued because paid by Credit Card

edit on 16-6-2013 by opethPA because: double paste fix!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

This is the plan for the future. An Ident card. You will need to work ,travel ,prove who you are,and you salary will go on it like a credit card .
They want to eradicate paper money etc etc ,and then they can track any and all monetary gains .

As far as I know this has been in the works for the USA for some time.
The whole chuck Schumer we need employment cards to stop illegal immigration is the start,ans just a cover story .

This is nothing officially out there as far as I know,but a friend of mine in the military told me ,but couldn't tell me how he knew it all .
Probably about 4 years ago I heard it for the first time,and I didn't believe him .
edit on 6/16/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
My brother-in-law once managed the Morgantown, pa McDonalds. He quit after catching a woman stealing money out of the cash draw and then corporate refused to fire her because of her race!

I can't stand to eat the crap anymore. corporations have ruined fast food in the name of profits just as they have done to every other industry that I know of!

I'll add that I see the lawsuit as a slamdunk for the workers. They are in-effect holding their money hostage by using a card which charges fees to access your cash.

It also might be argued that the card is not cash even though it is based in dollars that the card its self could be interpreted as money because of the fee structure.
edit on 16-6-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: add

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Oo

I have a debit card. It's a good way to use a credit service without the credit. Or fees. I don't pay any fees. Money goes into my account and I can use it like an ATM card. The only fee, is the one the bank normally would had I still had an ATM card.

Except with an ATM card I cannot use it for online purchases or direct debit accounts, such as my ISP.

How come there is a fee on the debit card over there? It's not credit. No one is lending money. It's just another way to access the same money, as if it were put into her bank account.

Do theymean the account the money is paid into has fees on it?

I.. I should read the linky, but I've got sleep on the brain and for once am tired

edit on 16-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
I did a cursory search for this topic and didn't find an exact match though I found some other similar threads so Mods please close this if it's a duplicate.

The general gist of the story is that "When she received her first paycheck, enclosed was a Chase Bank debit card with instructions on how to use it and the fees attached.

Her future earnings would be deposited into the debit card account and she could access her money from there. Gunshannon never signed the card and when she returned to work she asked her supervisor if she could be paid by check or by direct deposit. She was told the card was the only option."

Using that card has various fees associated with it which are then drawn from what the worker makes..That to me seems like about as horrible thing as possible for someone making slightly more than minimum wage.

When she received her first paycheck, enclosed was a Chase Bank debit card with instructions on how to use it and the fees attached.

Her future earnings would be deposited into the debit card account and she could access her money from there. Gunshannon never signed the card and when she returned to work she asked her supervisor if she could be paid by check or by direct deposit. She was told the card was the only option.

Sued because paid by Credit Card

Looks like you cut and paste it twice.

This is really bizarre. What would be the incentive for the employer? They must be giving him something.

More fees for the banks as we march closer to our cashless society.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

This is a 100% correct, by son works there and we went through all the BS, I even called their corporate office and complained to them saying that as a Minor he cannot legaly sign up for this since minors cannot sign into a legal document that involes money.

I even asked about direct depoist for him and they did not offer that.

The only reason they did this is to say the money of writting out all the checks which is about $1.93 a person every two weeks, but at the same time they gave Visa Millions of dollars on Debit Cards. I go to his account now and then do a money trasfer to his bank account with a 3-4 day delay since we are transfering funds.

The exscuse they gave us is that everyone don't have bank accounts, and I replied back that they need to have more than one option since they are now teach our kids what plastic is and how easy it is to get into debt with the loan sharks to today.....Visa... Mastercard....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Thanks Gladtobehere. I don't know what happened on that paste so I cleaned it up a bit!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

it seem that they have to pay a fee to get cash from an atm. If you don't have a bank account you must pay a fee ..

they should just pay federal reserve notes ......

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Gunshannon, 27, of Dallas Township, worked at McDonald's Restaurant on the Dallas Highway from April 24 to May 15.

Gunshannon, a single mother of one daughter, quit her job at McDonald's and went to see an attorney

You've GOT to be kidding me! What are her damages, like $2.50?!

She only worked there for 3 weeks! Talk about litigious!

Several years ago, I received "Unemployment Benefits" because my employer cut my hours in half, due to the economic downturn. My benefits were loaded onto a Bank Of America Debt Card. As long as I used my own bank's ATM's there was no fee, and most businesses didn't charge me anything extra for using it either.

This lawsuit is just crazy!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
the idea is to take out cash monies at the ATM, however, if you go to just about any grocery store yo can take out money at the time or purchase and incur NO Fee at all.

I have one or my unemployment, I have paid zero fees, so yes you can get monies and not pay a fee, if you pay attention, No I don't like it and my new employer (I start tomorrow ) only does direct deposit. I joined a credit union, instead of a greedy bank, we will see how that goes.

I can use my card(s) anywhere nowadays, no need for cash and yes they can track me but, I still save all my change ans round up to the full dollar amounts.
edit on 16-6-2013 by thedigirati because: keyboard errors

edit on 16-6-2013 by thedigirati because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I don't blame her for suing and I hope she wins. I seriously doubt it...but I hope for everyone's sake that she and others do win this.

I get thousands a year via grant and loan for student aid financing on my journey through the academic world as a mid-life student. It's no small # in specifics but neither are the ATM fees which add up quicker than you'd think. As well as Merchant fees, maintenance fees and every other damn thing. You see, at least where I am? The Student ID and the Debit Card for financial aid disbursement ARE the same card and no choice is ever given. In fact, it's outright required by policy to have one, whether you're using aid or not.

The interest alone they make by the money sitting in student aid accounts after distribution is pennies per student perhaps, but multiplied by millions of students this system is now the required way for. It's an enormous scam and rip off to everyone but the banks running it. Even the schools get squat from the ATM's on campus which bust us for $1.00 a pop to get anything out. Those are the cheap ones with the card/bank name. Only 2 exist within 25 miles.

edit on 16-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

This isn't McDonald's corporate policy, it is the decision of the individual franchise owner. Most of the McDonald's employees around here still get paid by check, but the company that owns a handful of the restaurants a few counties over pay their employees via prepaid debit card. The companies that do this usually are those that pay via direct deposit and provide the debit cards for employees who do not have a bank or credit union account. It sucks that many employers are doing this nowadays, but it saves the companies money.

While a lot of people do not want a bank or credit union account with more and more employers switching to paying their employees by direct deposit only it is becoming necessary as it is cheaper to open an account than to pay all of the fees attached to a prepaid debit card, and in many cases if one looks he/she can find free checking so they have no fees at all. The NWO plot to move us toward a cashless society treks steadily onward......

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I respect Mcdonalds fast food businesses. I respect that they give us our quick meals in order to satisfy our demand. I also appreciate them in the way they allow tens of thousands of people to obtain employment.

What I do not respect is not giving employees the option of obtaining ALL of their wages with mandatory fees charged by the bank.

Mcdonalds should at least give an option for check cash or direct deposit.

All in all, nobody has to work there I guess. I suppose if they wanted all of their wages one would turn elsewhere for employment.

new topics

top topics

join