It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Federation of American States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It is clear in at least 49% of the population that our current system of Govt. is not working. Any systems that allows a 51 % majority is not seriously carrying the weight of all its people. And the issues that are being decided are extremely important to both sides who have completely "opposite" views.

If the issue is strong and the (49%) minority loses and decides to leave the union, rather than suffer under its misguided leadership, then we would have chaos and a possible civil war.

What i propose will prevent the coming civil war and in my opinion make our nation united in our differences and strengthen our agenda of tolerance.

The Federation of American States would give back to the state the rights that the federeal govt took away after the civil war. The States would be more powerful than the federal govt. with in its own borders and would allow each state to make the decision for themselves wether or not they want to be pro-life or pro-choice, whether they put values over economy or visa versa. The States would be allowed to choose, instead now you have a dictator telling 49% of the population that doesn't agree with him, what to do. Thats not right.

Each state would have to the right to decide where they stand on each issue, each having different laws.

The citizens of America would be able to decide what side of the issue they are on and then if they are living in a state that is against what they are for than those citizens could move to a state more in line with their thinking.

This idea to me symbolizes the freedoms that we hold near to us in america. What is more free? Govt. making the decision for you? Or You making the decision for yourself?

The Federal Govt would lose little power in giving this right back to the states. The federal govt. would still get your tax money...but less of a share! They would be more into trade and economy and policy than deciding values and morals (we can do that ourselves!).

Here are some links that I found related to my philosophy of a Federation of American States...There are no known links. Must be the Govt. trying to keep this idea down. There is nothing to fear America, sometimes change is good.

Please I would like to know how you feel about my america. any posts would be appreciated. thank you.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Here is the link:

www.lp.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
thank you for that link, but i am not a libertarian...am I?

[edit on 7-11-2004 by HISTER]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The problem with that idea is that when you break up the states and give each there own rights you lose the country. You end up with 50 different country's and you are inviting a civil war.(Which is what you are trying to prevent, right?) And when the states vote on gay marrige, what if it ends up being 50% against to 50% pro. Then would the state break up into two states like Virginia and West Virginia during the Civil War? You say people would move states, then you would have a bunch of people in one state for gay marrige and in another state a bunch against. Then you have even more of a minority and that would increase discrimination. Because then states could pass bills not allowing equal rights for homosexuals. and no one would be able to do anything because its all states rights. and i dont remember hearing that 49% of all people in america think that the government is not working and that we need a change. If anything needs to be changed its the electorial college.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
thank you for your post Macgregor6590.

Yes you would have 50 different states not countries... There would be only 1 army (The Army of the American Federation). Each state would pass its own laws... And yes some states would have gay rights and some wouldn't. If you are a homosexual you would know not to go to one of the anti-gay states. But if they lived in a pre-gay state they would be allowed to have the same freedoms that they are entitled... but there SHOULD be states that think that gay's are against GOD. And those states would have the right to feel the way they do. This is Freedom. This allows you the choice to choose... the current system doesn't give you that right. If you are in the minority on an issue you will never win...even if the minority is 49% of the population.

WE CAN NOT GO ON listening only to 51% of everyone...

Freedom is on the march in America !

The Freedom of Choice. Or would you allow the Govt. to make those choices for you???

What side are you on anyway?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HISTER
It is clear in at least 49% of the population that our current system of Govt. is not working. Any systems that allows a 51 % majority is not seriously carrying the weight of all its people. And the issues that are being decided are extremely important to both sides who have completely "opposite" views.

If the issue is strong and the (49%) minority loses and decides to leave the union, rather than suffer under its misguided leadership, then we would have chaos and a possible civil war.

What i propose will prevent the coming civil war and in my opinion make our nation united in our differences and strengthen our agenda of tolerance.

The Federation of American States would give back to the state the rights that the federeal govt took away after the civil war. The States would be more powerful than the federal govt. with in its own borders and would allow each state to make the decision for themselves wether or not they want to be pro-life or pro-choice, whether they put values over economy or visa versa. The States would be allowed to choose, instead now you have a dictator telling 49% of the population that doesn't agree with him, what to do. Thats not right.

Each state would have to the right to decide where they stand on each issue, each having different laws.

The citizens of America would be able to decide what side of the issue they are on and then if they are living in a state that is against what they are for than those citizens could move to a state more in line with their thinking.

This idea to me symbolizes the freedoms that we hold near to us in america. What is more free? Govt. making the decision for you? Or You making the decision for yourself?

The Federal Govt would lose little power in giving this right back to the states. The federal govt. would still get your tax money...but less of a share! They would be more into trade and economy and policy than deciding values and morals (we can do that ourselves!).

Here are some links that I found related to my philosophy of a Federation of American States...There are no known links. Must be the Govt. trying to keep this idea down. There is nothing to fear America, sometimes change is good.

Please I would like to know how you feel about my america. any posts would be appreciated. thank you.

Brother.......I believe you've watched to much of it!!(I love the show(shows).

I don't believe nor do you this country would ever divide simply over a election. We are different in many ways from state to state but we are all Americans and love our country.

NEVER HAPPEN!

Have a great day

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by enigmalone
I don't believe nor do you this country would ever divide simply over a election. We are different in many ways from state to state but we are all Americans and love our country.

NEVER HAPPEN!

Have a great day

I agree.

Let's face it. The general American population is too lazy or brainwashed to comprehend a discussion like this.

The Civil War had a probable cause. An election isn't a probable cause to start a civil war. The United States will never see another civil war unless you are a believe in Tutor and his 2007 prophecy of an American Civil War which is absurd.

Bush hasn't even done anything that would merit a complete division of state and government. But if somehow Bush manages to abolish the 2 term limit in the Constitution, then we'll play...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
"I agree.

Let's face it. The general American population is too lazy or brainwashed to comprehend a discussion like this.

The Civil War had a probable cause. An election isn't a probable cause to start a civil war. The United States will never see another civil war unless you are a believe in Tutor and his 2007 prophecy of an American Civil War which is absurd.

Bush hasn't even done anything that would merit a complete division of state and government. But if somehow Bush manages to abolish the 2 term limit in the Constitution, then we'll play... "

You do not believe that gay marrige is a probable cause to a civil war. Think about it, its a battle of rights and freedomes. And i have been thinking America is leaning towards another civil war for years. Never have Americans hated each other more. Most americans dont even like there own families. But it doesnt matter, i dont think we need a federation of states. All that needs to be changed is the electorial college and we should have a total democracy not a partial one.and to hister im against gay marrige but i realize i live in a democracy not a therocracy.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Macgregor6590]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It will never ever ever happen.

Also, no state has the power to secede, not even Texas.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
First, most elections have always shown a sizeable division amongst the citizens of the US. This is nothing new.

Second, the idea that Bush offers "misguided" leadership is an opinion. An opinion that obviously many, many people disagree with. I'm not exactly a Bush supporter, but it's hard to let someone get by with passing and opinion for the truth.

Third, for the last time... Bush is NOT a dictator. Even if you think the elections were rigged, almost half of the population still voted for him. If after this 4 year term, Bush refuses to step down... then you can call him a dictator.

Otherwise, I agree with the idea of state's rights, even though I don't think that we're anywhere near a civil war. Keep in mind... our enemies are LOVING the fact that Americans are even discussing such a conflict. I wouldn't be surprised if outside sources are at least partially responsible for propagating this notion.

IMHO, each state should be able to decide on the majority of it's laws based upon it's citizens. This just seems like common sense. The demographics across this nation often differ greatly from state to state. I really don't see a problem with this. If you move to a state that doesn't recognize gay marriage, then you won't have access to the same priveledges. If you live in a state that decides to legalize certain weapons and controlled substances, just keep in mind that getting busted with such items would get you arrested in states with laws against them. No civil war... no big deal. Problem is... it's probably too late for such reform. Corporations already have far too much power and this arrangement wouldn't be nearly as beneficial to them.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
First, most elections have always shown a sizeable division amongst the citizens of the US. This is nothing new.
_________________________________-

true, but never before has the issues been so divided.

Second, the idea that Bush offers "misguided" leadership is an opinion. An opinion that obviously many, many people disagree with. I'm not exactly a Bush supporter, but it's hard to let someone get by with passing and opinion for the truth.
Third, for the last time... Bush is NOT a dictator. Even if you think the elections were rigged, almost half of the population still voted for him. If after this 4 year term, Bush refuses to step down... then you can call him a dictator.

Otherwise, I agree with the idea of state's rights,
IMHO, each state should be able to decide on the majority of it's laws based upon it's citizens. This just seems like common sense. The demographics across this nation often differ greatly from state to state. I really don't see a problem with this. If you move to a state that doesn't recognize gay marriage, then you won't have access to the same priveledges. If you live in a state that decides to legalize certain weapons and controlled substances, just keep in mind that getting busted with such items would get you arrested in states with laws against them.

So then you are agreeing with me? States should have more control over laws that apply to values and morals?

Problem is... it's probably too late for such reform. Corporations already have far too much power and this arrangement wouldn't be nearly as beneficial to them.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

So then you are agreeing with me? States should have more control over laws that apply to values and morals?

The fact that Republicans control the House, Senate and White House still doesn't make him a dictator. The Dems can still filibuster, and Bush will (hopefully) be gone in four years. However, I can imagine that the Dems aren't going to see very many of their plans and ideas come to life. Regardless, I understand your frustration.

I disagree with some of the comments that you made, but yes I agree with the idea of state's rights being most important. We are simply too diverse as a nation. One standard set of laws regarding morals and values for the whole lot just doesn't make any sense.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93

I disagree with some of the comments that you made, but yes I agree with the idea of state's rights being most important. We are simply too diverse as a nation. One standard set of laws regarding morals and values for the whole lot just doesn't make any sense.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
thank you, and i do not expect you to agree with my entire plan. But I am glad to have some support.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   

...but i am not a libertarian...am I?

I must have missed this one earlier.

Actually, judging by the views that you've expressed thus far, you are more of a Libertarian than anything else. You may disagree with a few Libertarian ideals, but probably far fewer than Rep or Dem ideals. These days it seems that both of the major parties want a bloated federal government with as few state's rights as possible.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The whole problem is that the traditional democratic states (blue) have been forced into subsidizing the the red states.

The FACT of the matter is that there is an unfair distribution of Federal Aid between the states.

CORPORATE LAND OWNERS and Real Estate partnerships recieve the majority of these funds.

www.taxfoundation.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   

thank you for that link, but i am not a libertarian...am I?

Of course you are! You didn't get the memo? If you aren't a Libertarian, why are you quoting the Libertarian motto?

As for the "federated states" thing, no offense, but I think the system we have is a lot better, although you don't seem to understand it based on your words. But of course good people can differ on that.

With that I leave you, my fellow Libertarian, with the customary farewell of our people: "That's not what the Libertarian Party stands for!"

Majic
Proud Libertarian
Our Motto: "I Am Not A Libertarian... Am I?"

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Civil war in America can happen. All it takes is something so revolting and morally detestable revealing to capsize the American people into war. Especially after an relatively enthralled election.

Just takes a spark. I can smell the fuel...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I just wanted to add... that john titor's new govt would look something like the govt that i am proposing. Perhaps I will have a part to play in the upcoming Aftermath. Except in the future it is broken down into regions and i still have states...but in the future there will be too much destruction to have states...I'm ok with regions though.

top topics

join