It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hassan Rouhani is Iran's next president

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It looks like Iran has done a 180% with electing Hassan Rouhani in the latest presidential election. To be honest I don't know what will happen with him in office. Because the President of Iran is very different to the President of the United States. Hopefully we'll have better relations.

(CNN) -- Iranian centrist candidate Hassan Rouhani has won the Islamic republic's presidential election, Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar announced Saturday.

Source

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You're Kidding!

I knew he was close in the polls but I NEVER thought he'd win.

Ha, just goes to show the PEOPLE of Iran don't like a tyrant, militant religious government any more than the rest of us.

Let's see if his actions speak louder than his words.

Iranian officials reported a high turnout, with nearly 73% of some 50 million registered voters -- men and women, young and old -- turning out, Najjar said.

That's a ridiculous turnout.

~Tenth
edit on 6/15/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yes, I agree. I do remember the last election where there was controversy and protest. Thankfully someone who seems level headed is elected. I just wonder what the future would hold.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Ya know, it's to be seen.

He's been in parliament for 20 years and holds seats on a lot of powerful councils. He also was the top nuclear negotiator in the mid 2000's. I can't wait to listen to him speak and see the subsequent actions he takes.

Although the Ayatollah probably won't let him do much of anything. That's the guy that needs to go.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This site says that Rouhani isn't a moderate at all. I have no idea if what they are saying is fact or spin or whatever. I myself have hopes that Rouhani will bring some fresh air to Iran. Time will tell.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks for the link. To be honest I barely know anything about Irani politics. Hopefully this would be a positive and not a negative.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

That blog would trash Jesus if he was Iranian. I like this if only it's easier to spell his name.
As Tenth said though, he's just a mouth piece.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

That blog would trash Jesus if he was Iranian. I like this if only it's easier to spell his name.
As Tenth said though, he's just a mouth piece.

God, I miss the days watching Bush stumble over pronouncing Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Iran is never to be trusted.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by catlitter

Why? What countries has Iran attacked in, um, like....forever? And don't say Iraq. They were the instigator of that war.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Why? What countries has Iran attacked in, um, like....forever? And don't say Iraq. They were the instigator of that war.

Anglophobia is deeply entrenched within Iranian culture. I couldn't give a toss about Israel or Iraq, only my country, and when you attack and threaten my country, you become the enemy for the rest of time.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Anglophobia is deeply entrenched within Iranian culture. I couldn't give a toss about Israel or Iraq, only my country, and when you attack and threaten my country, you become the enemy for the rest of time.

When did Iran threaten your country? I'm assuming UK as you mention "anglophobia".

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The best thing about this news

What a kick in the nuts for Bibi Netanyahu

A relatively moderate president in Iran that wants better ties to the west, his worst nightmare. Can't wait to see how the idiot deals with this

Excellent news Phoenix267

Thank you

SnF

Cody

edit on 15/6/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

When did Iran threaten your country? I'm assuming UK as you mention "anglophobia".

No you assume wrong. Anglo= England. My country is England. My country is in a union with other countries, but ,my country is England, hence Anglo.

Well, we can start with them kidnapping sailors of the Royal Navy, twice, in international waters. They should have been bombed into the stoneage for that alone, but one of their politicians threatened to attack London, and then they looted the Embassy in Tehran.

We could carry on, but you get the picture.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
At least this President of Iran won't have Americans saying they personally remember him from the Hostage Crisis as a direct participant. Moderate or not Moderate....he replaces a guy that was a problem more than any kind of help to Iran, IMO.

Perhaps this one will help guide thinking more toward construction than destruction. The Persian heritage is a long, great and proud one. They have the people, talent and resources to be world leaders in almost any field or combination of fields they chose to focus on and work hard at. Unlike most of the region, they've got almost, if not all of that right there and within their own borders to work with too.

I know it's not real likely for a big change of direction with tensions and low level war by cyberspace already well in progress here ...but I can at least hope things start shifting in little ways.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by catlitter

Don't forget this, admittedly it wasn't a state lead thing, but still

Cody

edit on 15/6/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Well, we can start with them kidnapping sailors of the Royal Navy, twice, in international waters. They should have been bombed into the stoneage for that alone, but one of their politicians threatened to attack London, and then they looted the Embassy in Tehran.

So when are you expecting to be bombed to the stone age for what you guys did in Iraq and Afghanistan?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

So when are you expecting to be bombed to the stone age for what you guys did in Iraq and Afghanistan?

At around the same time as you are, or are you deliberately skipping over Canada's participation in Afghanistan? But this isn't about my country, or what we have done, this is about Iran, and how they have kidnapped diplomatic staff, military personnel in international waters, threatened to attack us and attacked our embassy on two occasions.

link   
reply to post by catlitter

I guess if you were a President/General there would be a new war all the time right? Because things cant get settled the way most normal people want right? WITHOUT WAR. Words are just words(about the bombing of London). I am glad that there were smarter people than you taking care of international relations for sure.

link   

There is a high level of religious extremism within their government. Are you 100% sure that if they did get nukes they would not nuke Israel out of anything more than to fulfill a holy prophecy?

I can't say any government completely controlled by religious extremism allows me to sleep good at night.......

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join