It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Lost’ Cambodian city found near Angkor Wat temple!

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Archaeologist's believe to have found a 1200 year old city on a Cambodian mountainside, 25 miles from 'Angor Wat'

Mahendraparvata was discovered using laser-scanning technology by the University of Sydney’s archaeology research centre in the country. A team from Australian newspaper the Sydney Morning Herald broke the news of the previously-unknown city, which joins together a network of previously-known buildings and new discoveries. The archaeologists told the SMH that they believe some of the temples of Mahendraparvata, on the slopes of the Phnom Kulen mountain, have never been looted, and could contain countless treasures.

Temples that have never been looted? Sounds like a proper Indiana Jones type expedition is currently underway!

How exciting!

I am looking forward to more information/pictures

Link 1

Link 2

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Great find SNF
every now and then another good find comes out of there or some new revelation about how advanced the region was
Who knows what else lays beneath those murky waters

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I'm a little confused by this story. How in the world could they know if they have been looted or not yet.

Damian Evans, director of the University of Sydney’s centre in Cambodia said: “We see from the imagery that the landscape was completely devoid of vegetation.

It's not like they were hidden from sight.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

There is a video and more information on this page that explains it much better, there is lots hidden from sight, under vegetation, some structures found with the help of 'Lidar' an airborne laser technology.

Link

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Here are some really beautiful photos of the area surrounding the temples at the Sydney Morning Herald.

Lost Civilization in Cambodia

We seem to be finding more and more lost worlds. Eventually, we will have a true idea of what human history really was. I can't wait until it is known to us all!

SMH photographer Nick Moir travels to Cambodia to cover Sydney University Professor Damien Evans leading several teams of archaeologists to the discovery of an entire Ankor city in the Siem Reap region of Cambodia. Using new maps and LIDAR to discover previously unknown sites where previously only a few isolated temples were known to be. The holy plateau region known as Phnom Kulen was also one of the last holdouts of the Khmer Rouge and is still heavily landmined with many of the ex Khmer Rouge villagers bearing the scars of mine injuries.

edit on 15-6-2013 by antoinemarionette because: added text

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
S & F Exciting
Yea for Lidar!!! Can't wait also to see what they find.
Here's some more links for this area:

Pics of the area: I want to wade in that river...
gdeichmann.photoshelter.com...

Archeology & Development Foundation
www.adfkulen.org...

In a National Park
www.visit-mekong.com...

Wikipedia
www.adfkulen.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Sweet we are looking at going to Ankor next summer and hopefully this new site will be avalible to tour!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I don't get it was it lost to just outsiders or was it covered by dense vegetation even the locals missed it,btw I read somewhere that Ankor was about the size of L,A so expect more finds.

Okay I missed the second link I thought that was the first link was the site.

“One theory we are looking at is that the severe environmental impact of deforestation and the dependence on water management led to the demise of the civilisation...perhaps it became too successful to the point of becoming unmanageable.”

beta.dawn.com...
This may have been the reason why the classical Mayan cities got deserted also.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Spider879 because: Add more info

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I have always been amazed by the design of Angkor Wat. It is such a wonderous place and I really hope I will get the chance to experience it at least once in my life time.

Now, the place became even more interesting with this latest discovery. It makes one wonder what else has gotten lost to the depths of the jungles across the world.

Fascinating find!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Got to give it up to my ancestors!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Those photos look great!

The kind of Ancient City that makes you go 'Ooooh' and underneath all that Lush bush! I can imagine what other remains lay under all the bush in South and Central America & Asia.

I wonder if these 'Treasures' they speak of, will be Exhibited or taken and sold?? Or both?

I was watching a Documentary on ?Cambodia the other day.... looks like a great place to visit but you know what else is happening there? People are being forced out of their huts as big Businesses move in.... i.e Hotels and the business which goes with it.... Chinese Officials seem to be the ones doing it and they are only paying the occupants around $1,500 .

Its a disgrace when you know that in a few years when those big Hotels are up, Visitors will be charged $1,000 per night!
edit on 17-6-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Like I need another reason to go back to Cambodia.

Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples and sites are amazing. Well worth the visit. Cambodia itself is a juxtaposition of beauty and beautiful people; against the history and horror of the Khmer rouge days.

This is an amazing find and hopefully not the last.
edit on 17-6-2013 by izero because: Typo

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Those photos look great!

The kind of Ancient City that makes you go 'Ooooh' and underneath all that Lush bush! I can imagine what other remains lay under all the bush in South and Central America & Asia.

I wonder if these 'Treasures' they speak of, will be Exhibited or taken and sold?? Or both?

I was watching a Documentary on ?Cambodia the other day.... looks like a great place to visit but you know what else is happening there? People are being forced out of their huts as big Businesses move in.... i.e Hotels and the business which goes with it.... Chinese Officials seem to be the ones doing it and they are only paying the occupants around $1,500 .

Its a disgrace when you know that in a few years when those big Hotels are up, Visitors will be charged $1,000 per night!
edit on 17-6-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

Yeah... And the locals won't see any of it. They are so poor and have been through so much from the war to, sex tourism and now this. If the locals were to see any money from it... Then it wouldn't be 'so bad'.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
this all city was discovered not too many years ago.when i was there(10+years ago) it was a rear place to go .very few people travel there from thailand
cambodia was #ed up hard by brzezinski and his puppet.

edit on 17-6-2013 by mavericktomcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Cool, another cause for the Atlantis theory, it is probably much older than they are going to acknowledge for the history books, 2013 is not the year that mainstream science and archaeology are going to start telling us the truth by any means. Here is another pic, hopefully we will get more and pics of the Mexican pyramids they found the other week.

top topics

join