It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC: 'Nearly 50% of U.S. Adults Will Develop at Least One Mental Illness'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by hamburgerler
Well that accounts for Obama derangement syndrome

Well, it certainly seems Obsessive/Compulsive to turn every thread into an anti Obama thread, with no regard to the OP. I guess the CDC was right.
edit on 14-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think if you know your crazy you can control it. Maybe. Hell, I don't know. Its just makes me crazy thinking about it. I thought I would go crazy when my wife died. I just said, "this is crazy", and drank a bit more for awhile. Then, I said, this is crazy!! It's a hard world we live in, and there's always somebody worst off than somebody else.

Some folks are born crazy. Some folks go crazy cause of situations.

Its life. Some get religion to keep from going crazy. Some go crazy over religion.

I'm going crazy just trying to get to some kind of point.

edit on 14-6-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Well, it certainly seems Obsessive/Compulsive to turn every thread into an anti Obama thread, with no regard to the OP. I guess the CDC was right.

you jumped on it pretty quick like too !!

What do ya think about this.....?
Has the IRS Already Seized Your Medical Records?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by olaru12

you jumped on it pretty quick like too !!

What do ya think about this.....?
Has the IRS Already Seized Your Medical Records?

I don't like it. But as corporate fascism takes control, all records, no matter how trivial will be able to be accessed if you can pay for that information. Besides any halfassed hacker can read about about anything they want. Does that sound paranoid?.....

And why are you asking me all those questions? And why are you even interested in what I think?

And I don't appreciate all those late nite calls. I know it's you xuenchen; I recognize your heavy breathing. Quit stalking me....

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

HaHa.

good example.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
When you got a good job/enough money, a relation and or kids, not angry, not sad, just happy! Then is nothing wrong with you!

If not, you must have some kind of mentall illness because your life gets hard and you are not happy. Then you (mostly males), will have less contact with other people and then you are not social enough!

Then you got a really sick person and just look in that book what he got, must be lots of stuff, it's nice to give it a name but they don't got a magic pill for that! so what's even the point with putting people in boxes and label them, if that's even possible.
Oh well tons of people will make tons of money from such people, all is good.

What if a country goes bankrupt, wow; millions of people devolping a mental illness just by that!
edit on 14-6-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I get it now!

Unemployment, rotten economy. . . . it's not because government is inept, it's because we're all nuts!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Seems like a sneaky way to implement gun control or reduce the rights of 50% of Americas population.

That's all this is. An exercise in nonsense ,given now even caffeine withdrawal is now a mental illness.
However ,this raises a point. An arbitrary 50% of everyone ,includes,well the government ,people who work for the CDC ,the IRS ,the FDA ,AMA....
All medical doctors making the diagnosis need examining too .
What's good for the goose,is good for the gander . I don't think people with metal illness should be making laws or prescribing meds or doing surgery .

All companies and governmental agencies need to have every member evaluated ,as 50% of THEM ,will also have mental disease,and they all need monitoring to make sure they are able to remain in their position ,including the president and his family .
edit on 6/14/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Obamacare is now our medical system is it not. It's named for him ,and allows him to seize medical records via the IRS ,and violate HIPAA law ......
If he didn't want everyone hating on him ,he shouldnt have egomaniaically named it after himself ,to give him omnipotence over our health records .

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
While I do agree some people are mentally ill. I personally think most people suffer from what I call (my mama spanked me syndrome). Meaning they want to blame their parents or some one else. They just don't want to take responsibility ,for their own actions or inactions. Mostly they just need to grow up .

Although I do agree with another poster that said this is just another ploy at taking peoples guns.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

That is all well and good.

In reality it is called (The affordable care act). As if any one can really afford it. All it did was drive up the cost of health care and put more control in government hands.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
This is not only alarming for medical reasons, I for one think it's alarming because they are "recommending" some sort of national surveillance program !!

The "surveillance" is the problem.

I wouldn't publicly disagree with the "surveillance".

You could probably be diagnosed with a "mental illness" over that.

See how easy it is to rig statistics?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

Ill disagreed with that definition as many things in life could cause many if not all of those symptoms , breaking up with a loved one, death of of a friend or family member not being able to find work etc etc..

The big question is who is this 'normal' person that everyone else is measured against?
edit on 15-6-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Ill disagreed with that definition as many things in life could cause many if not all of those symptoms , breaking up with a loved one, death of of a friend or family member not being able to find work etc etc..

Of course many things in life could cause any person to experience symptoms similar to the definition...It might help to break down the definition:
Here it is again:

"a clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndrome or pattern that occurs in an individual [which] is associated with present distress...or disability...or with a significant increased risk of suffering."

It is important to note the adjective phrase, ""clinically significant." So, let us look at what this means...
Clinically Significant

Example: Clinically significant sadness in a child would indicate that her symptoms have been present for at least two weeks, on all or most days, and that her sadness has affected her interactions with family and friends and significantly interfered with her ability to attend school or complete school work. Clinically insignificant, or not clinically significant, sadness in a child might be temporary feelings of sadness lasting for three to four days with no other symptoms of childhood depression present.

...and here we actually read exactly what you are describing...at the very heart of it, when bad things happen, is a person physically and mentally capable of adequately and appropriately dealing with all the negative things that happen in everyday life! Sadly, there are many people who are not...

The big question is who is this 'normal' person that everyone else is measured against?

When it comes to the issue of mental illness/disorder, the person is measured, as you can see from the above definition, against his or her self...I have gone through severe bouts of depression...I described the symptoms I was experiencing to my doctor and therapist. The diagnosis was not made by comparing my symptoms with those of another person. The diagnosis was made by comparing my previous chart notes to those I was presenting at the time(s). Luckily, I was able to gain control through regular visits, counseling, and exercise.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

When it comes to depression, clinical significance indicates behaviors and symptoms that are considered to be outside the range of normal, and are marked by distress and impairment of daily functioning.

I still see a loose guideline and not a definition. I see a guideline measured against some undefined idea of normality.

I still dont believe mental illness can be properly defined. The guidelines are to broad and are open to miss diagnosis or even malicious abuse.

One time while visiting someone in a mental hospital i saw an old lady who was in a terrible state, cuts and bruises, hair half pulled out. Scars on her arms from cut wrists and self harm, she could hardly walk or talk. I was talking to one of the nurses and i asked her about the Lady. She explained that she had been in hospital for most of her life. Apparently the girl was born deaf but no one realized. At a very young age had been referred to the hospital for assessment and was misdiagnosed as being mentally ill. She never left the hospital and just got worse and worse due to the drugs and electro-shock treatment. By the time they realized she was completely messed up and institutionalized.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I still see a loose guideline and not a definition. I see a guideline measured against some undefined idea of normality.

As I explained, it is your defined idea of normality...

I still dont believe mental illness can be properly defined. The guidelines are to broad and are open to miss diagnosis or even malicious abuse.

It is defined, when you, the patient, are experiencing situations causing abnormal reactions...you, as the patient, describe your symptoms to your therapist, doctor, other health professional...you disagree with the opinion, then you seek another opinion...Are there misdiagnoses? Of course, as there are in all fields of science...in the medical and behavioral sciences field, these instances would certainly impact people more directly than other fields...

One time while visiting someone in a mental hospital i saw an old lady who was in a terrible state, cuts and bruises, hair half pulled out. Scars on her arms from cut wrists and self harm, she could hardly walk or talk. I was talking to one of the nurses and i asked her about the Lady. She explained that she had been in hospital for most of her life. Apparently the girl was born deaf but no one realized. At a very young age had been referred to the hospital for assessment and was misdiagnosed as being mentally ill. She never left the hospital and just got worse and worse due to the drugs and electro-shock treatment. By the time they realized she was completely messed up and institutionalized.

Sad story, but it does highlight the necessity of thorough screening of everyone.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

As I explained, it is your defined idea of normality...

Not sure what you mean by that. My idea or normality may differ from the next person or the next patient or doctor.

It is defined, when you, the patient, are experiencing situations causing abnormal reactions...you, as the patient, describe your symptoms to your therapist, doctor, other health professional...you disagree with the opinion, then you seek another opinion...

Good luck trying to get a second opinion once you have been wrongly sectioned especially after being hit with a chemical cosh.

Sad story, but it does highlight the necessity of thorough screening of everyone.

it seems she was thoroughly screened but her symptoms fitted someones definition of mental illness that turned out to be wrong. You certainly dont get given ETC without seeing many doctors first.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Not sure what you mean by that. My idea or normality may differ from the next person or the next patient or doctor.

Example: You and I both see the very same doctor and the very same mental health professional. As a matter of fact, we both drive similar cars, work in similar occupations, and we were both victims of a terrible accident. As a result, we were both laid up for several months and may never again be able to function in our old jobs.

I see the doctor and describe how I am feeling about the entire situation. The doctor refers me to the mental health professional. During that visit, I reiterate my feelings. I am depressed over the entire situation. This depression has lasted over two weeks and it is adversely affecting my friendships, family, and other day-to-day interactions. The doctor and mental health professional collaborate and concur this is not MY normal way of functioning. They are concerned and speak to me about the results of their findings.

You see the doctor and describe how you are feeling about the entire situation. The doctor refers you to the same mental health professional and you reiterate your feelings. You are depressed over the entire situation. This depression has lasted over two weeks and it is adversely affecting my friendships, family, and other day-to-day interactions. The doctor and mental health professional collaborate and concur this is not YOUR normal way of functioning. They are concerned and speak to YOU about the results of their findings.

Notice, they did NOT compare my chart to yours. They compared YOUR reported day-to-day functioning to the current situation, NOT MINE...

Good luck trying to get a second opinion once you have been wrongly sectioned especially after being hit with a chemical cosh.

Kindly elaborate...I am in the dark as to the term, "chemical cosh." Getting a second opinion requires no luck...it merely requires a request.

it seems she was thoroughly screened but her symptoms fitted someones definition of mental illness that turned out to be wrong. You certainly dont get given ETC without seeing many doctors first.

Since a THOROUGH screening requires an auditory acuity test, I doubt the veracity of this statement.
edit on 15-6-2013 by totallackey because: clarity and accuracy of response

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Is being down or going through a bad patch really mental illness that demands treatments or is it just a natural response to things that can happen to us in our lives?

But one of the main concerns of this thread is that people will be miss diagnosed as being mentally ill against their will. It not really focusing on people who seek medical help in the first place.

There is an epidemic of children being diagnosed as being mentally ill in America when in most other places in the world they would just be seen as just being children. More and more we are seeing what could be seen as normal (yet not desirable ) behavior being called mental illness and a person labeled as abnormal.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Is being down or going through a bad patch really mental illness that demands treatments or is it just a natural response things that can happen to us in our lives

It can be...then again...It is important to note there are many factors contributing to any individual's ability/capacity to deal with day-to-day issues. Aging is one of those factors...I am sure you have heard of mid-life crises...When you use the word natural, it applies strictly to you.

But one of the main concerns of this thread is that people will be miss diagnosed as being mentally ill against their will.

Since my mother has passed (and she readily shared this story with the general public anyway), I will share it here. She worked at mental institution in the early 1960's. She generally walked the three miles to and from work everyday. One day, she was walking home, and little did she know, at the time she punched out and exited, there was a female who had escaped. As she was walking, the white van with two orderlies dressed in the appropriete white scrubs and hats, pulled up and around her, to stop. They informed why they were stopping and asked my mother for identification. She had forgotten her purse at work! Naturally, she heard..."Come along with us, please!" My mother's response: "I'M NOT CRAZY!" Of course, upon arrival, everyone was satisfied about her identity and all ended well...so, can mistakes happen? Sure they can...as soon as you find a way to eliminate them, let me in on it...I would like to share on the windfall coming your way!!!

It not really focusing on people who seek medical help in the first place. There is an epidemic of children being diagnosed as being mentally ill in America when in most other places in the world they would just be seen as just being children. More and more we are seeing what could be seen as normal (yet not desirable ) behavior being called mental illness and a person labeled as abnormal.

For the most part, I concur...when I was a child, I drank two or three Mountain Dews a day, ate about three or four packets of SweetTarts, in addition to the other candies, plus my two or three tablespoons of sugar I would put on my Corn Flakes in the morning, or half a bottle of syrup on my pancakes...then I would go out and play in the wind ALL DAY!!! Perfectly acceptable behavior to me and most society at the time...Never mind I was imitating Evil Knievel, jumping over twenty foot holes with my Stingray bicycle, or Olga Korbut on the uneven parallel bars, whilst swing in the tree limbs, and could have killed myself...

Societal norms are measured and then plotted out along a Bell Curve...anything falling outside the curve, for better or worse, is labeled ABNORMAL, as it falls OUTSIDE the NORM...I think society needs to remove the negative stigma associated with the word ABNORMAL and simply learn to address the issues through adequate screening and treatment, only if necessary.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join