It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sink!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If you are not familiar with Discordian philosophy, which you most likely are not, there is a game played among them which we call sink.

Here are the rules for sink:

PURPOSE: To sink object or an object or a thing... in water or mud or anything you; can sink something in.

RULES: Sinking is allowd in any manner. To date, ten pound chunks of mud were used to sink a tobacco can. It is preferable to have a pit of water or a hole to drop things in. But rivers - bays - gulfs - I dare say even oceans can be used.

TURNS are taken thusly: who somever gets the junk up and in the air first.

DUTY: It shall be the duty of all persons playing "SINK" to help find more objects to sink, once; one object is sunk.

UPON SINKING: The sinked shall yell "I sank it!" or something equally as thoughtful.

NAMING OF OBJECTS is some times desirable. The object is named by the finder of such object and whoever sinks it can say for instance, "I sunk Columbus, Ohio!"

Ahhh, good ol' Sink.

anyway, I took the liberty (it's mine after all) of writing a terrible short story I call, well, Sink!

Here it is:

I stand at the edge of a swampy pond, in the pond floats a thing; the thing itself has a label, easily read from where I stand on the shore. The label reads 'HAPPIENESS', the thing floats on. Suddenly, a friend is beside me "Let me try," he says with a cheerful tone. He has a television set in his arms now; he grunts and hurls the television toward the thing floating in the swampy pond, it misses the thing by nearly ten feet by my guess and splashes heartily into the pond, "Damn." he says under his breath.

Now, another friend is standing next to me on the bank of the swampy pond. "You missed," he says, presumably, to the other friend "Now let me have a go." he says to no one in particular, he has a laptop computer in his hands now. He hauls the computer up and over his head and heaves it forward toward the thing. The laptop soars out of his hands and over the pond like a bird comprised of man-made components, it disappears below the murky water about three feet from the thing floating there in the swampy pond.

"You'll never get it that way," a new friend says stepping up beside the three of us, arms loaded with bags of food "This is how it's done." He declares proudly, tossing the food, bags and all, into the pond toward the thing. All of the bags miss badly except one that nearly hits the thing. "Damned thing." mutters the food tosser.

A woman is standing with us now, I don't consider her a friend but I do know who she is. "Let me try! Let me try!" she exclaims and before any of us can aquiesce she begins throwing objects at the thing in the pond, labeled and filed under 'HAPPINESS', she is throwing small things: golden earrings, a bracelet with charms jingling from it, now a diamond ring, then a silver necklace with a heart shaped pendant all of them slip beneathe the water stealthily, "It's not enough!" she shouts, frustrated. "It's never enough." my friends say in unison and the trinket thrower agrees.

A man (I have no idea who he is) steps up to the bank of the swampy pond and without a word begins lobbing whiskey bottles at the thing floating in the pond screaming at it as he does so. They miss. He follows the whiskey with cases of beer and then by a wide variety of narcotics. They miss just as well. When he runs out of ammunition, the drug lobber drops to his knees and begins to sob uncontrolably. "There, there," we all comfort him, "There, there."

I take off my shoes and coat. I begin walking away from the bank of the swampy pond. Then, I run. As fast as my legs can carry me, toward the pond and, ultimately, the thing floating in the pond. I jump and yell "Cannonball!' as I reach the jump's apex. I fall, almost floating, toward the pond and land smack dab on the thing. I emerge from the green murky water covered in slimy algae and behold the stunned spectators.

"I sank it!" I say to them, ecstatic with joy and a smidgen of fear, "I sunk Happiness!"

Thank you for not reading this, ser or madam

and

All Hail Discordia, or don't.

edit on 13-6-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: silliness

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

I'll be honest here...at first, I thought ugh..what is this guy droning on about..haha! Sorry...then I kept reading and figured it out and I enjoyed the read. I don't need to be so judgmental when I begin reading something now do I. I always say that judgment is inappropriate ...so anyway..

Thanks for sharing.

G'day or evening to ya
-nat

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

and thank you for being the only person to read Sink.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I will read "Sink" shortly, but I first wanted to express my delight when I clicked into this thread and it was actually about the game!

Hail Eris

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I really did enjoy the read once I 'got it.' Hah...nat the ditzy ding bat here sometimes

Hope you have a nice day today. It's raining here but that's ok I love the sound.

Peace and love
-nat

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Not the game friend, the book. Illuminatus! trilogy by robert anton wilson and robert shea.

the game is based on the book.

Hope you enjoy the story.

All Hail discordia.
edit on 28-6-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat
reply to post by tjack

Not the game friend, the book. Illuminatus! trilogy by robert anton wilson and robert shea.

the game is based on the book.

Hope you enjoy the story.

All Hail discordia.
edit on 28-6-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I know. That's what I was referring to. I've read it several times, once entirely on the commode...not in one sitting, of course.

Non Serviam
(fnord)
edit on 28-6-2013 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Funny I just realized that.

at first I though you were referring to the Illuminti card game by steve jackson games.

Illuminatus! is practically my bible.

did you read Schrodingers Cat?

I SEE THE FNORDS!
edit on 28-6-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: because i seen the fnords

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I read it.

And I didn't.

:-)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

That's what I was hoping for.

Thank you for hating it.

23 skidoo.

you should read Shrodingers Cat, it's the sequel to Illuminatus! pretty good.
edit on 28-6-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: tomfoolery

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Thank you for the recommendation, a very good read.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ScorchedFire

Hey, thanks for reading scorchedfire, glad you enjoyed it!

new topics

top topics

join