It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians will be forced to eat meat in SHTF Scenario

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yes, because after thousands of years, human society hasn't learned how to stay cool whilst getting hit by # exiting a fan... that is sarcasm.

Perhaps you've never bought a $10 bag of rice and $10 worth of beans, and lived for a month off of it?

But lord knows, you can't survive on beans and rice, OH NO! If the SHTF you crazy assholes have to go full battle royale on everyone! God forbid you stay calm and quit bitching.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm so tempted to make a new thread.."Meat Eaters forced to Eat Vegetarians in SHTF Scenario"...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

If it was localized, and therefore resolvable in a couple months, I'd have no problem being calm.
Some things would suck (like losing electricity, and therefore AC, and therefore the well pump), but we've had days of practicing that before too. (when power goes out, out here, it isn't always fixed lickitey split)

I just will worry about my fellow man though.... I'm not likely to have folks stumbling by though. (I just imagine them dealing with the fences, horse poop, and my bigger dogs (Chow/Lab and a Boxer/Pit) in the dark (if the power is out at night, so are they), or the thorny rose bushes in front of the windows...
Man, that would be a comedy of errors!....) For some reason, ALL of my neighbors have fearsome dogs. I learned this when one of our smaller dogs (a chihuahua) got out, and we went all around looking for her. Every damn house had a big dog, and I was just sure she was dog chow. We found her safe and sound though (about two weeks later!)

If you ever lose a pet, right then, make up tons of flyers with the pic, offer a non-specified reward, and plaster them in about a mile radius, and you have a good chance of getting your pet back. We've recovered two pets this way (the only two that ever went exploring). (We put our flyers in sheet protectors (face the opening down) and stapled them up, so they'd survive the weather).

edit on 19-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What you seem to be alluding to is insurgent activity, an act I don't condone. If you insist on that line of thought may I recommend you study the fate of Sadr city.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

We aren't talking about vegans anymore are we?

Still finding it hard to factor in FEMA camps or food drops into this thread. Still trying to figure out the MAC lift stuff too.

I think the OP is ultimately correct. Vegans will eat meat in a SHTF situation. Within a generation after said SHTF situation, vegans will not exist IMO. Traditional vegans are a product of human fears of over consumption. Historical non flesh eating societies still ate milk products. Some even allowed eggs. Only thing that ate nothing but vegetables in the distant past was called stock.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
i don't eat corpses, and i never will.

it doesn't take much to grow successful crops. with vertical farming, enough food could be made by a family in a small space with PVC pipes.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Anyone interested in what to eat and what not to eat should get a copy of "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss! This amazing book was written many many years ago and covers most if not all North American plants; Trees, Shrubs, Herbs, Grasses etc. Poisonous and non-poisonous. Medical and Non-Medical! Which parts to use and which not and how to prepare them! This book in my mind is a must have!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Love the "Dear vegatarians" picture

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Talk about ignorance... Let me come back at you -

"Scenario" - Vegetarian has been growing his/her own gardens off grid or away from society for years

What a useless thread. What are you trying to prove? Got something against vegetarians?

I think the vegetarians will be fine. A vegetarians body has less hunger phases then those who eat dense meat. The food daily ingested by vegetarians is much lighter and easier to digest and break down - it does not stay in the intestines or feed the worms.

Scenario #2 - "SHTF", vegetarians stock up on seeds and grow a garden. Only takes a couple months for organics to yield for a good harvest.

Seriously dont understand your point here.. If your not vegetarian why do you even care to take the effort in typing this all up and arguing with the replies :puzz:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

The 'old school' SHTF survivors, the ones who did the cave paintings, sure did paint (or whatever that stuff is) a lot on cave walls. I'm sure the drawings of animals and hunting grounds more than double the drawings of a potatoe.

Good point, but you won't find many cave paintings of Potatoes because there only about 10,000 years old, as with most cultivated vegetables. Hunting grounds were painted because of the spectacle. Who wants to watch a film about someone picking fruit and nuts.

Maybe your quirkiness is from a lack of B and/or D vitamins. Take your supplements and call us in the morning.

It is possible to find quickie vegetarian as well as a quickie meat eater.
But it is a myth the vegetarians and vegans need to take any dietary supplements. My vitamin B comes from sunlight. The same with D. Vitamin B12 is more of a concern. I try to include plently of mushrooms and soya in my diet.

This is a good place to start if your interested in vegetarian and vegan nutrition.

The Vegetarian Society Nutrition

Vegan Society UK

edit on 20-6-2013 by marc72 because: To add links

Had to add this

edit on 20-6-2013 by marc72 because: To add links

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
I'm so tempted to make a new thread.."Meat Eaters forced to Eat Vegetarians in SHTF Scenario"...

Lol. I think i'll taste real nice.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Any of you guys remember this little thing called the merchant marines?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by covertpanther

What a useless thread. What are you trying to prove? Got something against vegetarians?

I think the vegetarians will be fine. A vegetarians body has less hunger phases then those who eat dense meat. The food daily ingested by vegetarians is much lighter and easier to digest and break down - it does not stay in the intestines or feed the worms.

What does this mean 'A vegetarians body has less hunger phases then those who eat dense meat. '?

Does this mean vegetarians get hungry less often than meat eaters? If so I think you are way off the mark. Are you a vegetarian, and can you speak with any authority about this, or are you simply pulling 'facts' out of your rear end? If vegetarian food is easier to digest and break down, doesn't that imply they will need to 'refill' more often? I have been vegetarian my entire life, and I have plenty of 'hunger phases', quite likely a lot more than my meat-eating brethren.

Scenario #2 - "SHTF", vegetarians stock up on seeds and grow a garden. Only takes a couple months for organics to yield for a good harvest.

Seriously dont understand your point here.. If your not vegetarian why do you even care to take the effort in typing this all up and arguing with the replies :puzz:

Have you ever grown a garden in your life?

As an avid gardener I can state that it takes far more than a couple of months to 'yield a good harvest'. Do you think it is as simple as throwing a few seeds into the garden and 'voila', two months later you, your family, and all of your neighbours are pigging out on your organic harvest?

To begin, the soil must be prepared. If it's clay it will need more drainage, if it's sandy it will need to have material added to the soil retains more water. You need to pay attention to the ph of the soil (alkalinity to acidity), as well as the conditions each plant prefers. There will be a lengthy period of trial and error, learning the ins and outs of gardening - it is not a simple thing, unlike posting opinions to an internet message board.

If you live anywhere it snows regularly (or with heavy frosts and temperatures below freezing) you will not be growing anything without a properly setup greenhouse. Even then, unless you are growing under lights, your plants will grow very slowly due to lack of natural light.

During the growing season, you're going to need to protect your garden from natural predators. A few snails and slugs can destroy large parts of a vegetable garden very quickly, as well as larger animals like birds and possums. Are you going to protect your garden with chemicals (will will ultimately have a detrimental effect on you garden, creating a cycle of ever increasing amounts of pesticides which will have less effect on insects which become immune to the poisons you feed them). You will also need chicken wire and scarecrows to deter birds, as well as adequate fencing.

As for your two month harvest, let's have a look at the growing time for various vegetables.

Parsely - 70 to 90 days, so a little over two months, although parsley leaves can be eaten as they are ready,allowing the plant to keep growing.

Lettuce - one of the quicker growing vegetables, 4- 6 weeks, but it can be harvested in stages, like parsley. So if you're into lettuce, perhaps you can have all the neighbours over for lettuce salad and soup, with a hearty parsley garnish. Yum, filling

Tomatoes - roughly take about 150 days, which is about 5 months, although I have heard of them growing as fast as 105 days which is still well over 2 months.

Potatoes - at a bare minimum 2 months, although usually 3-4 months

Pumpkin - 75-120 days, which is at least 2 1/2 months up to 4 months

Chilli plants - take at least 3 months to produce chillies

Onions - A staple for most households, take from 2 1/2 to 4 months to grow

As someone who has a garden growing year round (fortunate enough to live in a temperate climate with mild frosts and no snow), I think your 2 month figure for growing a garden is a pipe dream. For a SHTF scenario with someone who has never grown a garden before, there is quite a learning process with growing your own food.

You make it sound so simple - just chuck some seeds in the ground and wait for nature's bounty. It's far more complicated than this. A garden is a never ending labour, and to grow one requires a commitment beyond just adding water. Pruning, fertilising (and if one wishes to do so organically, one must be knowledgeable about how to do so), and pest management.

More likely in a SHTF scenario you'd be eating a lot of tinned food like baked beans, and potentially starving to death as there is plenty to go wrong in a garden.

Finally, you want to do it as a vegetarian, are you living on vegetables alone? Well, at least you'll be glamorously thin.

edit on 23-6-2013 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by setibuddies
S&F OP.

There is a reason we have canine teeth, and that's so our species can eat meat. There is no substitute for the energy obtained via meat consumption, and those work-arounds that vegans employ now to make up this energy deficit will disappear in a SHTF scenario. Eating meat allows us to spend more time improving our living conditions than we spend getting food.

Been veggie for almost two years now. I do not do any work-a-rounds. I eat grains, fruits, and vegies. I feel great, I have plenty of energy. I am healthier than I was.

WATCH "Forks over Knives", "The Beautiful Truth"

Youtube- "Are We Designed to Eat Meat"

We are definitively not designed to eat meat. We are from the ground up built to eat vegetables. Don't take my word for it. Research! Research! Research!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cuckooold

I cannot argue with you. That being said, much land is left fallow or unused.

Taking this into consideration, the amount of time that it takes to grow a crop can be compensated by actually using land efficiently and distributing produce fairly. We have so many fat people, why?

As to others statements regarding the "best" diet, it really depends on the individual. Genetics dictate what type of diet is our "ideal" unfortunately.

I'm blessed by a very adaptable metabolism which increases with the amount of input and slows when I eat less; not everyone is so fortunate.

Proof of this is the "thrifty" gene which many peoples in Polynesia have.

That being said, you DON'T need that much animal protein to get by. HOWEVER. it is possible to live on just meat (I for one am very fond of raw meat, and have lived off one meal a day of raw fish for a month with no repercussions. I would not recommend that for everyone however, as mercury concentrations reach dangerous levels,) as proved by several different CULTURES in the arctic circle. That being said, parasites should be the worst nightmare for anyone who eats raw meat and doesn't know what to look for.

Humans are adaptable creatures, but our genetics dictate what is best for the individual. People who are obese would benefit from low carb, low fat, good protein diets. In a survival situation, being 200+ lbs isn't nesc. very encouraging.... as soon as your intake drops you'll be in deep doo-doo. Being at an efficient level of operation mitigates any negative effects from hard times to a minimal extent. We aren't bears, just doesn't work that way unfortunately.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join