It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The right to NOT be offended...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I'm not sure about in other parts of the world, but currently there seem to be many stories in the Australian media about how people are offended by something or someone. It borders on ridiculous that SO many people can be offended so easily. It's an unhealthy mindset to maintain and will only lead to angst and dissatisfaction. I realise that we have come a long way in addressing various social issues and that intolerance and discrimination still exist. But this is madness. All it takes is one slip of the tongue, an ounce of deviation from the norm, to be labelled sexist, racist, xenophobic, homophobic etc. and have your character assassinated for life. (I suppose it doesn't help when you have a Prime Minister who is obsessed with using the "gender card" to ostracise her critics and garner sympathy from female voters.)

I am not saying there aren't genuine cases of people behaving or saying things that are offensive and inappropriate, just that the media tends to completely blow out of proportion the amount of distress and offence caused. This has to stop! We really are turning into a certified Nanny State where the slightest hint of offence caused is capitalised on immediately, and the story is sensationalised to such an extent that it is difficult to ignore. And it's not just turning trivial matters into inflated monstrosities; what's worse is combining these trivial matters and associating them with serious issues just to cause public outrage!

Remember: You have the right not to be offended. Taking offence uses up far more time and energy than not taking offence.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
That's the problem with all this "political correctness". It took away that "thick skin" that we were all supposed to get in middle/high school.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Call someone an Ape in Australia and it's jail for the repugnant criminals and all their family, the deviant scum!!

But call someone a Ranga - Orang-utan - and it's guffaw, good show what a clever shot, they're red haired after all!

And anyone who dares say to harden up, why they're just an intolerant closet racist. Who doesn't understand how painful and hurtful it is.

But then again, never ever talk about a big red box. The flamin' media will BLUR that out as utterly offensive.

Crazy place this. We've lost the plot.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
problem is hate speech under the guys of right to speech.

Why would you call a black guy ape for any reason? or a Indian curry face or dot face? what does this solve?
You want people to be not offended by this?

"I believe this district has high crime rate, we hope citizens of this region make an effort to curb it down"

"ColourX are causing too much crime in this place, they have no manners"

Its the individual, not the general population, far as we know, there might be few colourX people in that community actually trying to curb it down, but saying a general statement brush them with 1 stroke.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
problem is hate speech under the guys of right to speech.

Why would you call a black guy ape for any reason? or a Indian curry face or dot face? what does this solve?
You want people to be not offended by this?

But it's ok to call red heads all sorts of names? No one cries to the media when someone calls them a ranga. They certainly don't call out a 13 year old girl for it, and go on to claim it was so hurtful that they couldn't stay on the field, and then drag in every news program in the country in support, and every one goes "You're right. It's terrible, and we should re-educate that 13 year old girl so she's not so bigoted in the future."

As someone said in the paper, Fair enough, he's not an ape... He's a big girl.

Crikey, a footballer who can't handle sledging.

I'll try and make a big fuss out of it next time I get called a White C... but I don't much like my chances.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

The biggest issue is that someone, even gets offended.

I couldn't careless if some guy I never saw before, tells me get to molest my mother and let her feel the shame of giving birth to me.

Honestly ? I'd probably would have plant a fist in his face, but I'm not offended. His ides,values, thoughts or even if he might actually be a nice guy. He means nothing to me, I could see him get killed by a train and not even flinch,I'd be sarcastic or something.

So does it work with all people.

I live my life with respect and I expect it as well, but if it is not I won't go crazy or teach him to respect me.
I walk away, wasting anymore time , that is what I would regret.
Maybe I get the feeling of torturing you and let you dig a hole so you get scared a lot. But I won't my time could be taken because I didn't did a legal thing or I would even spend it making love instead.

Besides, I don't want nothing getting done to me. I fully feel that is what makes my life worth something.
Cause I will have to keep my end of the bargain as well. Second issue are consequences of any action. I will restrict myself the live I want.

Getting offended means your own mind identifies anything someone says. Also if it isn't an offense.
Go learn to manage your own ideas and anger management might help.

I'm clear huh. I blame the people that look at themselves and see reason for being offended. If you actually are, you can still only feel petty for the childish behavior. Give him a diper and a ratler. You would have a lot more fun.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

The right to NOT be offended...

Worthy of the main ATS thread list... in my opinion.

Taking offense is a popular way of destroying opinion that doesn't agree with yours. Thin-skinned hurtiness and complaints are often meant to spin public opinion based not on what is true or correct... but because of the supposed pain it inflicted on one or a few.

But... such is the time in which we live where 'political correctness' often carries more weight than your right to speak your thoughts.

new topics

top topics

join