It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cursed Chair Sitting in it will result in your untimely death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I love the paranormal, especially the stuff that isn't non-fiction. We all know there are stories of curse or hex items in this world. One of the more famous one being the hope diamond which some say caused the titanic to sink and spawned that awful movie and Celine Dion song. Well another good one is the Busby's stoop chair. Sit in it at your own risk.

en.wikipedia.org...

soapboxcorner.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
S&F. Wow what a trip, I almost didn't click on this thread, doubled back and did, only to find that this Thomas Busby and I share the last name.....related? I don't know....

Very interesting story, I hope some other posters come in and add to the thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GoShredAK

yea this story is a trip, it reminds me of that "cursed" electric chair in the movie Constantine. Maybe that's where they took the story from.

You wanna hear some more trippy paranormal stories check out the Griffith park thread I just put up.
edit on 9-6-2013 by Nemox42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nemox42

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Nemox42

Thanks, I will check it out. I've always enjoyed the subject.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
yea no problem, I know you ATS posters love this stuff, especially the paranormal crowd here.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
What is awesome is this museum that actually has the chair, won't let anyone sit in it anymore because that's what they promised the previous owners. Obviously, they believe the curse so much that they know sitting in it will mean your death. It's nailed up against the wall with the chair facing down. You would have to take the chair down to sit in it pretty much, imagine if you were a vistor walking by in the museum and you just didn't read the sign/got dared to do it/just wanted to suicide by cursing/you got tired and you SAT IN THE CHAIR LOL!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
the article said this is a few hundred years younger. The story is said to have taken place in the 17th century....

Busby was tried at York Assizes in 1702 and condemned to hang and his body dipped in pitch and left in a gibbet opposite the coaching inn at the cross roads on the old great north road leading into Thirsk

Dr Adam Bowett, a renowned and respected furniture historian, with a Research Fellowship at the Victoria and Albert Museum said, “The Busby Stoop chair is a type now known as a 'Caistor' chair, because of its association with the chair maker John Shadford. Shadford worked in the north Lincolnshire town of Caistor between c.1843 and 1881. It is unlikely to be older than c.1840 and could have been made as late as 1900”.

From the link in th op.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
My point is that probably isn't the real chair from the story....probably a replica....still an awesome story though.

It's now suggested, the Busby Stoop chair famously hanging in the Thirsk museum and the focus of so much fear, might not have been made until after 1840, some 138 years after Thomas Busby's execution.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Supposedly the Baleroy Mansion in Philadelphia has a room with a "cursed chair".

By all accounts the most reported incidences of ghostly encounters come directly from the Blue Room, home of the "Cursed Blue Chair". Many paranormal observers believe that a female ghost haunts the blue chair due to a deadly curse caused from insanity. George himself dubbed the over active spirit that lives in the Blue Room, Spectral Amelia. A blue mist comes out of virtually nowhere when Amelia is present and anyone who dares to sit in her chair while in her presence quickly meets their demise. To date four brave souls, one a former Baleroy curator has boldly tempted fate and took their chances at reclining in the blue chair, and as the curse states, not one of them are living to tell about it. The blue mist has been captured on film and is often seen when a gathering of two or more people are present.

Also, Thomas Jefferson is said to be one of the mansions many inhabitants. You can see the full article here.

voices.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Whoo! I wouldn't sit in that thing if you paid me

Off topic: Just a note of interest, Celine Dion did not write the music to that song, it was an old Celtic song called Hymn to the Sea. And believe me, it's much prettier without the words.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RomaSempre

Sweet find... I love these stories of cursed Items, and their background story behind it. It seems all cursed items are rated by how many folks they already killed.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Yea he right, I misread that part. They believe its not the actual chair based on the age of the thing or something like that.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Atleast post a picture that people will look at, or read:

Edit: Dammnit, it keeps scaling it down.

Here:
dailyinfographic.com...

edit on 12-6-2013 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Interesting . I actually just heard of a chair with the opposite affect .
It's this ugly brown chair ,that women with breast cancer pass around. Sitting in it is said to aid in recovery .
I think 8 women have used it to date .
Let me see if I can find a link

Here it is

www.ksdk.com...

It's called the Healing Chair
edit on 6/12/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join