It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods' Ban on Spanish

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by Night Star
It is also nice when there are many foreigners who can all communicate and include each other in conversations.

Yes, this is a nice bonus, but hardly a requirement/ necessity. And it works both ways. Try learning some Spanish phrases, try learning a few Indian or African customs and greetings. Heck, even learning how to sign a few phrases makes a Deaf person's day. If cultural enrichment is what you're looking for, take full advantage of it! It's a two-way street.

This is all I've been trying to say.

I feel that everybody has a right to use their language in the work place though. If they can communicate well enough to carry out their supervisor's instructions and survive the day, that's all that matters.
edit on 7-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

I already said that I learned a lot of words and greetings in different languages but could never converse with them. For me it is extremely frustrating as I just don't get it. I cannot seem to retain the information no matter how hard I tried. Hell, I already forgot most of what I had previously learned. Not everyone can just pick up a language and speak it.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Not everyone can just pick up a language and speak it.

Whose point does that support? Yours or mine?

It can be difficult for adults to learn new languages. But telling someone else to learn your language--effortless.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

It can be difficult for adults to learn new languages. But telling someone else to learn your language--effortless.

AAAAAaaaaaaand We arrive at the crux of the problem, llegamos al quid del problema!!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

But I wouldn't move to a country where they didn't speak my language knowing I couldn't learn the language.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

But I wouldn't move to a country where they didn't speak my language knowing I couldn't learn the language.

No, I hope you never have to make a choice like that out of desperation, but some people do.

Anyway, I have enjoyed our debate. Sure there was some friction, but it's always good to challenge and reexamine our worldviews. I have sincerely considered your posts and other oppositional stances to mine.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and voice your opinions
See you around the forums, Night Star
Take care.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

My problem isn't with people who have trouble articulating in English. It's the people who's English is fine, but choose to speak in their native language at the exclusion of others, sometimes purposefully.

I speak enough Spanish to get across what I need to, but speaking in Spanish, to English capable Hispanics, in an attempt to enter a "private" conversation, many times, in my experience, comes across awkward at best and condescending at worst.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

My problem isn't with people who have trouble articulating in English. It's the people who's English is fine, but choose to speak in their native language at the exclusion of others, sometimes purposefully.

I speak enough Spanish to get across what I need to, but speaking in Spanish, to English capable Hispanics, in an attempt to enter a "private" conversation, many times, in my experience, comes across awkward at best and condescending at worst.

Reminds me of some kind of power play. I used to have a supervisor who once had an important meeting in our dept. and had it in spanish first and english second. We only had one girl there who didn't understand english!!!!!!!!
I asked the boss what he thought about that. We never again had a meeting in spanish first after that.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join