It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods' Ban on Spanish

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by FyreByrd

There is no "official" language for the United States

answers.usa.gov... 0629

I'm with you! If the conversation is not work-related, then it's nobody else's business.

Just because something is a policy doesn't means it's just
Heck, things like segregation used to be "policy."

It's awful the way Americans hate on non-English speakers. I can't think of any nation in the world that doesn't have multiple languages being spoken. Only in fascist states throughout history have other languages been subverted in this way.

It's outrageous and some Americans seem to have no end to their xenophobias. Disgusting!
edit on 7-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

I agree with you. These attitudes only serve to perpetuate American stupidity.

"It's my country, learn MY LANGUAGE."

There are so many different nationalities in the US - many white Americans feel so entitled and special.

In my opinion state and federal LAW trump company policy. If a company would like to operate in a state they need to alter their policy in that region to comply with state laws.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

So instead you feel we should be speaking the over 300 languages that are spoken here? And you say we are stupid?

Instead of uniting everyone, you prefer they stay disconnected? Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
There are so many different nationalities in the US - many white Americans feel so entitled and special.

This is exactly so. And it becomes this way when there is a populational majority; they assume cultural dominance in the face of multiple ethnicities.

There is an outmoded (my personal opinion) social theory that many still cling to called "melting pot." Basically, the theory states, "Yeah, it's okay if you practice and express your culture, just don't do it in public because it makes us feel uncomfortable."

Fact is, the US has citizens and immigrants stemming from so many diverse ethnic groups that we have become a multicultural, multi-ethnic state. I see no problem with this at all. It just makes some people skittish. Paranoia, prejudice, and xenophobia are as American as mom and apple pie.

Just look at the posts in this thread to see the prevailing attitudes.

Originally posted by FortAnthem

When I hear co-workers speaking Spanish or some other language to each other when I'm around it always gives me the sneaking suspicion that they're plotting to brutally murder all of us non-Spanish speaking folks.

Yeah, I know, I just a paranoid conspiracy freak but, that's how I feel.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Instead of uniting everyone, you prefer they stay disconnected? Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

We're talking about Spanish being spoken in a traditionally and historically Spanish-speaking region. Some of the population speaks Spanish in New Mexico..and the state constitution says "Hey, that's just aces. This is their right."

Yes I suppose assimilating ethnic groups and cultures are a way to "unite" people. Just thank your lucky stars that you're part of a populational majority that assumes cultural dominance. To heck with everybody that's different, right?

They should want to adapt to be part of the majority group, right?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Do you know what it feels like to leave your house every day for 8 years and go to work where you are forced to hear a foreign language all day? It is as though you have left your own country. These people except for one or two know and speak english very well. All the other foreign speakers spoke english. Do you want real friendship between all peoples or do you want clicks of people here and there sticking with just their own race?

When people immigrate here and go through the proper channels, they learn the language of our country. Are you saying that now when people come here they have to learn over 300 languages to be fair???

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Don't worry, soon you'll all be learning to write and speak in binary in accordance to language sanctions imposed on humanity by our robot overlords.

All hail Bender B. Rodriguez.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Do you know what it feels like to leave your house every day for 8 years and go to work where you are forced to hear a foreign language all day? It is as though you have left your own country. These people except for one or two know and speak english very well. All the other foreign speakers spoke english. Do you want real friendship between all peoples or do you want clicks of people here and there sticking with just their own race?

When people immigrate here and go through the proper channels, they learn the language of our country. Are you saying that now when people come here they have to learn over 300 languages to be fair???

That's just racist.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

You're using a straw man argument, no one said we wanted division. In fact, those of us who support people who speak languages other than English are the ones embracing multiculturalism while you are demanding that all people conform to your standard, because you say so. So the only solution is to force people to speak English only? What kind of rubbish is this?

No, you shouldn't learn 300 languages - you probably couldn't if you tried. But would it hurt to learn a few of the more common ones? In other countries people learn 2-3 languages before they leave highschool, and it's mandatory! Here we learn English, and we scorn anyone who doesn't speak English. This is what I was talking about with my first post, and your replies have proven where you stand.

If you don't like it, you could always move to Canada. Your rights should NOT trump the rights of others. If you don't like your surroundings, then leave.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

We're taking about Spanish being spoken in a traditionally Spanish-speaking region. Some of the population speaks Spanish in New Mexico..and the state constitution says "Hey, that's just aces. This is their right."

Yes I suppose assimilating ethnic groups and cultures are a way to "unite" people. Just thank your lucky stars that you're part of a populational majority that assumes cultural dominance. To heck with everybody that's different, right?

They should want to adapt to be part of the group, right?

I don't live anywhere near the border and we now have jobs that require that we speak a foreign language in our country in order to get hired and provide for our families. They don't have to adapt. They can continue to keep to their own kind and never know the joys of experience real friendships with ALL cultures. Since there are too many languages spoken, no one could possibly learn them all. Don't you realize that our other foreign language immigrants who learned english resent the hell out of one culture being catered to? They say it is like a slap in the face, just as it is a slap in the face to have just one group change the face of the entire USA where citizens are forced to speak their language!

People feel so strongly that we should have learned the Nataive American's language and I have native ancestory and wouldn't disagree, but now that the spanish is forcing us to speak their language it's all ok and sunshine and roses? Think about that for a minute.

Would you move to another country and expect them to cater to just you? Would you demand they learn YOUR language? Would that not be arrogant and rude?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Would you move to another country and expect them to cater to just you? Would you demand they learn YOUR language? Would that not be arrogant and rude?

If I moved to another country a large portion of the people would already speak English, because they are required to learn a few additional languages in high school.

You know, because they're not arrogant, ignorant d-bags.

But this thread isn't about people who don't know English. It's about people who spoke English but were speaking to one another in their native language at work.

So, are you saying we should all learn English and then completely remove other languages from existence by banning them in public places or the workplace? If not, can you please clarify your stance on the issue at hand?

edit on 7-6-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Since when is learning a "slap in the face", is learning some form of torture to you? Is this why you exhibit a strong aversion towards learning a new language? Is it an unsettling experience for you to possess emphatic feelings towards mankind in general?

Did your dog just die and manage to ruin your ceremonial robe and hoodie?

You Know What, I like our forefathers, they were pretty badass, totally about freedom to the point where they chose not to adopt an official or national language, ain't that just a big middle finger to England and their queen.

I guess they thought future Americans would be tough, smart and fair.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Are you saying that now when people come here they have to learn over 300 languages to be fair???

Nope. No one said that.

Languages are cultural markers for distinction. It sets up a communication barrier, yes. But if the employees are able to communicate well enough to function in their job, what's the problem?

Not everybody is going to be friends, get along, and work well together just because they speak the same language.

What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to tell someone that they can or cannot speak a certain language.

Any good manager would just say, "Hey, are you discussing a work-related issue I can help with? No? Just chit-chatting? Okay, well save it for the break and get back to work."

Again, it just boils down to irrational paranoia. "They're speaking a language I don't understand! They must be scheming, those devils!"

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

That's just racist.

It is racist to want to unite people? Wow, now I've heard everything.

You want to unite people by forcing an entire country to speak spanish? What about all the other languages spoken here, to hell with them? They had to learn english, but the spanish speakers don't have to? How do you unite people with over 300 languages spoken here? You cater to just the spanish speaking population? Learning english was no problem with all our other immigrants through the years. Never in our history have we ever had to fight for english to be the national language as we are now. Over 30 states have already made it their official language.

For over 200 years we have spoken english here and our immigrating ancestors learned the language out of respect and to not only survive but thrive. If that language would have been Native American, that would be fine with me.

When only one group is catered to resentment arises and you shouldn't wonder why.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

They don't have to adapt. They can continue to keep to their own kind and never know the joys of experience real friendships with ALL cultures.

Do you understand that killing the language is the first step to killing the culture? Just imagine if a Spanish soap-opera had to be written in English so everybody could enjoy it.

There is something unique and special lost in the translation. How would you feel if you wrote a novel, but publishers said, "Actually, we think more people would enjoy this if we completely translated it into another language--there's your target audience. We don't think this story will work in English though."
(Okay, that's a bit contrived, but I think it still makes a point. Language is unique and special.)

This is what I'm talking about. This is why I defend it. Language is part of who a people are. Many cultural legacies have been destroyed just because the language was eradicated.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

That's just racist.

You want to unite people by forcing an entire country to speak spanish? What about all the other languages spoken here, to hell with them? They had to learn english, but the spanish speakers don't have to? How do you unite people with over 300 languages spoken here? You cater to just the spanish speaking population? Learning english was no problem with all our other immigrants through the years. Never in our history have we ever had to fight for english to be the national language as we are now. Over 30 states have already made it their official language.

For over 200 years we have spoken english here and our immigrating ancestors learned the language out of respect and to not only survive but thrive. If that language would have been Native American, that would be fine with me.

When only one group is catered to resentment arises and you shouldn't wonder why.

Yea, you're racist and apparently hate education, no one said you're restricted to only learning one language poor soul. I as a fellow human being implore you to go forth and learn, you don't have to stay in the dark, you're allowed to intermingle with the other humans. You can learn as much as you want to! It's free with a little ingeniuity!

All I am getting from your post is that you are so lazy you cannot fathom the possibility of compromising your busy schedule to learn a few words.

The early bird gets the worm
But the second mouse gets the cheese.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

You're using a straw man argument, no one said we wanted division. In fact, those of us who support people who speak languages other than English are the ones embracing multiculturalism while you are demanding that all people conform to your standard, because you say so. So the only solution is to force people to speak English only? What kind of rubbish is this?

No, you shouldn't learn 300 languages - you probably couldn't if you tried. But would it hurt to learn a few of the more common ones? In other countries people learn 2-3 languages before they leave highschool, and it's mandatory! Here we learn English, and we scorn anyone who doesn't speak English. This is what I was talking about with my first post, and your replies have proven where you stand.

If you don't like it, you could always move to Canada. Your rights should NOT trump the rights of others. If you don't like your surroundings, then leave.

When did I say they should speak english only? If you are amongst people of different cultures who all speak english and another language, common sense tells me if we all understand english, we can all speak and enjoy each others company and conversation. Yes? What they do on their own time in their own homes or whatever is not my business. Though some people learn another language, many can't get the hang of it. Hell, I learned a lot of words and greetings with all the cultures I worked with but could never converse in these languages. At least I tried, but languages are not my forte. At least they knew I cared and appreciated that.

I am sick and tired of people who try to turn this into something it isn't. English is the unofficial /official language here that all cultures have learned. Now we are being forced because of one group and one group only to speak 'their' language to even get a simple job to provide for our families. That is just wrong! Not everyone is profficient at learning languages so there goes yet another missed job opportunity for our citizens. Never ever would I force someone in their own country to learn 'my' language.

My main point was the uniting of all cultures not having just one group catered to. I love people no matter their culture or color and I won't stand for anyone calling me racist because I want people united. That is a hell of a lie and quite foolish.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

That's just racist.

Yea, you're racist and apparently hate education, no one said you're restricted to only learning one language poor soul. I as a fellow human being implore you to go forth and learn, you don't have to stay in the dark, you're allowed to intermingle with the other humans. You can learn as much as you want to! It's free with a little ingeniuity!

All I am getting from your post is that you are so lazy you cannot fathom the possibility of compromising your busy schedule to learn a few words.

The early bird gets the worm
But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Fine I am stupid then. I suck at languages and always have no matter how hard I tried. Not everyone can create a beautiful piece of artwork, not everyone is a genious, we have our low skilled workers, we have people who arn't too bright. I admit, I am not the brightest lightbulb in the pack but I tried! I do love people and their race doesn't matter or I never would have married a portuguese man! I have been to Mexican weddings and babies showers, same with my asian friends or whatever other culture. DO NOT call me racist as that is a complete lie! I am a loving, thoughtful, generous and compassionate person as I often hear from others. I love people of all races so don'tyou dare for one minute insult and offend me with your assumptions and foolishness.
edit on 7-6-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I don't think any of the posters in this thread are racist. And I don't think you're stupid.

I just think it's a little silly to say, "They need to speak MY language so we can get along. Why? Oh, because I have a huge posse that agrees with me."

The whole point of the United States is that everybody is welcome (and that the minority cannot be oppressed by the populational majority,) or that's how I always understood it in elementary school. I don't remember the part about, "but they're only welcome if they act and speak exactly like us."

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I don't think any of the posters in this thread are racist. And I don't think you're stupid.

I just think it's a little silly to say, "They need to speak MY language so we can get along. Why? Oh, because I have a huge posse that agrees with me."

The whole point of the United States is that everybody is welcome, or that's how I always understood it in elementary school. I don't remember the part of, "They're only welcome if they act and speak exactly like us."

Don't you see...with over 300 languages spoken here, they all learned english when they moved here. It is now the language of not only myself, but millions of immigrants. It is the only language shared by us all. I never ever said they couldn't speak their own language at other times and in different places.

When you work with someone, you need to communicate in order to work together and get the job done properly and to help each other. It is also nice when there are many foreigners who can all communicate and include each other in conversations. Much laughter and love and even tears have been shared at my former place of employment when the spanish speakers decided to speak english, not only for me, but for the african and asian and indian women who also worked side by side. When they chose to just go on and on all day in spanish the others felt left out and felt they were being talked about. There were hard feelings. I knew they liked me very much even though they knew my stance on language and illegal immigration so I didn't feel they were talking about me personally.

Hell, they even laughed like hell when I picked up their swear words or got the gist of their talking bad about someone. They were like

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

It is also nice when there are many foreigners who can all communicate and include each other in conversations.

Yes, this is a nice bonus, but hardly a requirement/ necessity. And it works both ways. Try learning some Spanish phrases, try learning a few Indian or African customs and greetings. Heck, even learning how to sign a few phrases makes a Deaf person's day. If cultural enrichment is what you're looking for, take full advantage of it! It's a two-way street.

This is all I've been trying to say.

I feel that everybody has a right to use their language in the work place though. If they can communicate well enough to carry out their supervisor's instructions and survive the day, that's all that matters.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join