It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mask Wearing Ban for Canadians may result in up to 6 months to 10 years in prison!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Article Title; 3 things to know about the proposed mask law
CBC Article

According to this article,

Bill C-309 would create a separate offence criminalizing the use of a mask while participating in such an action.

Those who embolden themselves by masking or hiding their identity while participating in a riot or unlawful assembly have a tremendous impact on the safety of those who exercise their right to protest peacefully and lawfully in this country. A right the CACP supports and defends. They also make investigations of these crimes much more difficult.”

Those who incite a riot while wearing a mask face an indictable offence up to 10 years. Those who participate in such an unlawful assembly while wearing a mask could face up to six months in jail or fines up to $5,000

Am I the only one who has a major problem with this?? What happens in the event riot police use tear gas? You can't cover your face?

What about at G20 where the riot police removed any identification / badges and were fully decked out in riot gear? Why can they hide their faces?

What if there is a "lawful" protest wherein everyone (or a lot of people) is/are wearing masks, and the police send in a provaucature to incite a riot? Are they all now subject to the 6 months in jail??

This is absurd, in my opinion.

Edit; I am fine with this, so long as the police involved at such demonstrations have their Badge # and ID plasterd on their riot shields or other visible areas. It's a two way street and protesters are not the only ones capable of unecessary violence.
edit on 6-6-2013 by anon4m05 because: (no reason given)

mod note

updated here

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Thu Jun 6 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
CBC article is over a year old.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
CBC article is over a year old.

My mistake, didn't catch that. Here's a more recent one;

Mask Ban Would Violate Rights

This is a PROPOSED law, not law just yet, but very close.

Currently there is no federal law banning masks at demonstrations. The criminal code does state that if a person is convicted of committing a crime while wearing a mask they would get an increased penalty.

Also from this article;

The proposed law would impose heavy penalties for anyone wearing a disguise while participating in a protest that became “an unlawful assembly” or riot. It would mean, for example, that someone wearing a mask at the head of a long protest march could be charged if something illegal happened at the end of the parade.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by anon4m05

These criminals, who we elected to represent us, are only representing their own interests as well as that of their corporate keepers.

Don't you know, they need to know your identity if you are out in public? I guess in the US, Mardi Gras is next on the endangered list.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is not the first time that the Government of Canada makes a decision that does not make sense!
The question is: why is it re-elected and who are these people who agree with what he brings to the country?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Sure will be nice once Harper is out of there. I think it's a little wierd there is no limit on how long a PM can serve in office for.

Just ONCE I would like someone to vote for, and not someone (harper) to vote AGAINST.

I really hold myself as having no political affiliation, but I always wonder what it would have been like with Jack Layton...... anyway, this is besides the point.

I really hope that if the law passes, Protests with masks are held en mass all over the country!!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon4m05
Article Title; 3 things to know about the proposed mask law
CBC Article

According to this article,

Bill C-309 would create a separate offence criminalizing the use of a mask while participating in such an action.

Those who embolden themselves by masking or hiding their identity while participating in a riot or unlawful assembly have a tremendous impact on the safety of those who exercise their right to protest peacefully and lawfully in this country. A right the CACP supports and defends. They also make investigations of these crimes much more difficult.”

Those who incite a riot while wearing a mask face an indictable offence up to 10 years. Those who participate in such an unlawful assembly while wearing a mask could face up to six months in jail or fines up to $5,000

Am I the only one who has a major problem with this?? What happens in the event riot police use tear gas? You can't cover your face?

What about at G20 where the riot police removed any identification / badges and were fully decked out in riot gear? Why can they hide their faces?

What if there is a "lawful" protest wherein everyone (or a lot of people) is/are wearing masks, and the police send in a provaucature to incite a riot? Are they all now subject to the 6 months in jail??

THIS IS ABSURD!!!

Edit; I am fine with this, so long as the police involved at such demonstrations have their Badge # and ID plasterd on their riot shields or other visible areas. It's a two way street and protesters are not the only ones capable of unecessary violence

Yet child molesters still get a couple months in jail and a slap on the wrist. The Canadian justice system sickens me.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Suppose there's one way of getting around this and that's by not rioting!!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

You Know,. . .. . Halloween could damn near be construed as an Unlawful Assembly. That could be a Financial Heyday for TPTB in the form of some Serious Revenue.

That would give a whole new meaning to the words. . " Trick or Treat".

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50

Nice logic. Why is it that people can't seem to grasp that infringements on civil liberties are never excusable? The old adage "It shouldn't bother you if you aren't doing anything wrong" is so short sighted and ignorant it's laughable. I don't believe people should be rioting unless they have damn good reason to do so. But you should be able to wear a mask to a demonstration if you want to.

Let me ask you this: What about peaceful protesters wearing guy fawkes masks? Should that be punishable with 6 months in prison?

This is draconian legislation meant to make it easier to identify dissidents.
edit on 6-6-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

That won't do it. Consider this scenario;

A group of 300 protesters are out, chanting, drawing attention to some issue. Not a huge protest, but perhaps key grassroots organizers are in the protest, perhaps wearing masks (though, in this scenario, in a "lawful" protest"). The police may sieze this opportunity to arresst them by using an agent provocateur to incite "unlawful" behaviour and thus create reasonable groups to i) disperse the crowd quickly, ii) arrest the key demonstrators.

That is just one scenario off the top of my head that I can show how this law would be abused. It's no good

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Let me ask you this: What about peaceful protesters wearing guy fawkes masks? Should that be punishable with 6 months in prison?

It's an unlawful assembly unless the proper permits have been obtained. They, of course, won't be issued, making any protest or assembly unlawful.

What they are trying to do is remove that "black block" and their ability to mask their faces and incite violence. Forgetting, of course, that each case of that on Canadian sole was proven to be RCMP officers......

I get the intent. It will never work that way. Our country is slowly dying.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The thread title is very misleading. Canadians can still wear masks. Halloween isn't going to be cancelled. You face 10 years if you are wearing a mask and INCITE a riot. 6 months if you participate in a riot with a mask on. I personally favor this and it's probably only the 2nd thing I've agreed on that the Harper government has done.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The thread title is very misleading. Canadians can still wear masks. Halloween isn't going to be cancelled. You face 10 years if you are wearing a mask and INCITE a riot. 6 months if you participate in a riot with a mask on. I personally favor this and it's probably only the 2nd thing I've agreed on that the Harper government has done.

Changed the title, my apologies.

What is meant by "participation"? As far as I know, if an order for dispersal is issued, and you are there, just standing around, while others riot, you are "participating".

Obviously halloween won't be cancled lol.

Still, my shtick with this is that protesters must be identifiable, and police not. That is absurd. I am totally fine with the mask law, provided that the ID number of each police officer is fully visible. As I said earlier, it is a two way street, and protesters are not the only ones capable of unnecessary violence.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

From my point of view if someone instigates a riot and I lose property or means of living I damn well want those responsible to answer for it. I didn't bring these problems about.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I must add further, that some may wear a mask so as to not be identified by their employers. I personally know people who have done this, people who held a certain view that perhaps their boss did not. It is a matter of privacy that I think must really be carefully deliberated, and I do not believe that sufficient deliberation has occured.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

From my point of view if someone instigates a riot and I lose property or means of living I damn well want those responsible to answer for it. I didn't bring these problems about.

Well clearly, and I do not disagree!

But If some gun-ho riot cop smashes my kid in the face when he was clearly just standing around, NOT doing anything, I want those responsible to answer for it as well!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

Nice logic. Why is it that people can't seem to grasp that infringements on civil liberties are never excusable? The old adage "It shouldn't bother you if you aren't doing anything wrong" is so short sighted and ignorant it's laughable. I don't believe people should be rioting unless they have damn good reason to do so. But you should be able to wear a mask to a demonstration if you want to.

This is draconian legislation meant to make it easier to identify dissidents.
edit on 6-6-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

Don't do guy fawkes in my country so i wouldn't no but i do agree with you about the holiday type things like children wearing masks at halloween but then children don't do much rioting unless there's an adult around to show them how to do it and believe me i no alot about that part.
edit on 6-6-2013 by ballymoney50 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2013 by ballymoney50 because: dumb

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Well clearly, and I do not disagree!

But If some gun-ho riot cop smashes my kid in the face when he was clearly just standing around, NOT doing anything, I want those responsible to answer for it as well!

Hmm. So a cop roughs up your kid you want action. That I can agree with. My store or my car is trashed and I'm out of luck? Bs.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

That won't do it!! Consider this scenario;

A group of 300 protesters are out, chanting, drawing attention to some issue. Not a huge protest, but perhaps key grassroots organizers are in the protest, perhaps wearing masks (though, in this scenario, in a "lawful" protest"). The police may sieze this opportunity to arresst them by using an agent provocateur to incite "unlawful" behaviour and thus create reasonable groups to i) disperse the crowd quickly, ii) arrest the key demonstrators.

That is just one scenario off the top of my head that I can show how this law would be abused. It's no good

As i said in my last post rioting does no one any good and brings whatever they are protesting about down to gutter level. If i saw someone wearing a mask in a group of people while out and about i no they're going to be up to no good so hopefully police will arrest them before tshtf.

People out protesting don't need to wear a mask they're protesting they shouldn't need to hid should they?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join