It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British have invaded nine out of ten countries.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I hope nobody showed Queen Victoria that map. She wouldn't have been amused to think she missed a few.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite
I love the Brit bashing

Keep it up fella, i know deep down you are truly envious of our history

hes american, he doesn't know what you mean by 'history'

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
...and as always, it was all for the benefit of the banks and big business interests. I mean, it's not like the British people benefited in any way from it all, as usual they were just the poor buggers expected to go fight the natives so that the banks and businesses could plunder. Nothing has changed, other than the nation now on top and continuing the empire!

star that
And in four lines or less too

you have to laff at those that consider the OP to be "bashing" when the fact is they have been had ( as stated above )
edit on 5-6-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I won't deny my history because it's killing our past and we will repeat it again.

It's in the interest of imperialistic leaders to imperialistically lead an imperial nation. And the western world has seen it's fair share of imperialists hasn't it?

It has nothing to do with the common people of those nations, infact if you judge nations solely on what it's more common rabble have achieved then you will see these imperial nations have created some of the greatest things humans have today....Universal Suffrage? Common Law? Human Rights?

Again I stress, a man's nation does not act on his behalf or usually his best interests, but that's a whole different topic and down to the man's fault not the nation.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

We in the West suffer our freedom because of our forefathers and mothers... not our historical governments, despots, monarchs... Just something to consider.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Think about it, If the War of Independance was won by the British, wouldn't the world be such a nicer place ?

I think it might.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by Danny85

You may see studying or knowing history as a "waste of time", but I surely dont...

Proud of such a shameful history, eh.

I'm going to guess that youre strongly against the inflow of foreigners into your nation, correct?

edit on 4-6-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

Hi,

The map has been on ATS before (I've rejoined recently with a new ID and can remember it), and the comments then were fairly much as relevant as they are now. The map includes areas that were not 'invaded' but where a military base may have been established - sometimes at the behest of the country itself, privateers that may have equalled a dozen men on a boat and so on and so on. Actually, I would have thought that France and Spain wouldn't look a million miles differently if such a map existed. Come to think of it, seeing as there is no time limit imposed on this then one showing all Italian 'invasions' would be very interesting.

One of the points here is that colonisation was a big part of activity by several countries, that's just what it was. America didn't do so much historically not through any lofty ambitions, more that they as a young country were late to the game.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Most Americans would not be 'American' if Europeans didn't colonise the Americas. The current white American population are the ancestors of the invaders, not us people still living in Britain because then we would be Americans now wouldn't we?

My ancestors and everyone elses who is still British stayed at home, and had nothing to do with the raping and pillaging of America.
edit on 5-6-2013 by liverlad because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2013 by liverlad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

Originally posted by Britguy
...and as always, it was all for the benefit of the banks and big business interests. I mean, it's not like the British people benefited in any way from it all, as usual they were just the poor buggers expected to go fight the natives so that the banks and businesses could plunder. Nothing has changed, other than the nation now on top and continuing the empire!

star that
And in four lines or less too

you have to laff at those that consider the OP to be "bashing" when the fact is they have been had ( as stated above )
edit on 5-6-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Precisely..."Royally had" is more accurate.
No one starred BritGuy...I wonder why?
edit on 5-6-2013 by Granite because: sp

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

You talk of factual statements without bias

Generaly that is what a dictionary is good for.

Anyways I happen to be of the impression America is indeed an empire as qualified by the very definition of the word empire found in the oxford English dictionary you struggled with so much earlier.

But not only do I base my opinion on matter of fact source material, i.e a dictionary I also base this opinion on the wealth of historical information that is available to anyone out there. Maybe Chomsky was a bit much to start with, here are some useful links on America and Empire. Please note though the Monroe Doctrine may be pretty heavy going, but not a problem for a student of history like yourself of course!!!

Modern Empires
American Imperialism
American exceptionalism
Manifest destiny
Monroe Doctrine
Empire of Liberty

I particularly enjoy the last link, Empire of Liberty, here is a short quote from the source material.

The Empire of Liberty is a theme developed first by Thomas Jefferson to identify America's world responsibility to spread freedom across the globe. Jefferson saw America's mission in terms of setting an example, expansion into the west, and by intervention abroad. Major exponents of the theme have been Abraham Lincoln (in the Gettysburg Address), Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson (and "Wilsonianism"), Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush.

Not only do I happen to disagree with your opinion that America is not an Empire, but so do all those former presidents of the United States of America. You must have a pretty strong argument I have not heard of yet I tell you, I cannot wait to hear your argument against.

I do of course assume you too enjoy the wealth of historical information out there with which you formulate your opinions because if you did not, then how else would you know what you are talking about? and you do know what you are talking about right?, of course you do! that is why you are able to accuse Noam Chomsky an Institute Professor and Professor (Emeritus) in the Department of Linguistics & Philosophy at MIT [where he has worked for over 50 years] as being an "intellectual fraud".

and then you reference that intellectual fraud, agenda driven, Chomsky? Thats a bit rich don't you think?

Rich in source material im sure!!!! But to even think such a thing, you have clearly done your homework, I have and its funny too, because I know I have done my homework and I find it somewhat gratifying someone such as Noam Chomsky happens to agree with me! or I with him, funny that. And in the grand scheme of things, who am I going to be more inclined to believe and or listen to?, someone like yourself or someone who is generaly considered one of the greatest intellects of modern time? and wrote this many books. Hmmmm, its a tough one lol.

Noam Chomsky Lectures on Modern-Day American Imperialism

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Ahhh yeah, the good old British Empire and don't forgot we also brought the world the concentration camp, we're innovative don't ya know

And also, I'm a fan of Noam Chomsky, in regards to the future, here's some of what he has to say on that:

whatonline.org...
edit on 5-6-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Nice one, giving it a watch the now man.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
England was just one of the colonial powers that invaded all over the world. Spain and France's map would no doubt look pretty similar. These nations had powerful ships and USED them to build their empires. Love it or hate it, these early exploits provided the seeds that would grow these nations into what they are today. Colonialism is an outdated practice though, so other than trying some slight at England, I fail to see the point of harping on actions of a nation centuries ago.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

how many countries has america invaded? answer that one..................

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

how many countries has america invaded? answer that one..................

That's not really Americas style, they like to infiltrate and then put their own in power, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, look at South America

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
America just get Muslim rebels to do their fighting these days, they're getting lazy! And all their troops are tied up in other Muslim countries, so they are a bit exhausted on that front at the moment!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

And ?????what about it(past)? Stuck in time are we?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Geez wake up, they were a superior form of human being helping the world to be civilized, kind of like the USA helps the world to gain freedom.

LOL

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Why do you and those like you forget so conveniently that we also gave the world the industrial revolution and the modern age, I take it you are American, of what lineage I wonder, the largest European contingent were of German origin and we English though being the bulk at the start and accounting for a large percentage of your country's Caucasian population via those borne to the earlier settlers of English origin still are not the main contingent of your population, Why does it stick so hard in your throat that we were actually a force that on balance was GOOD, (I would like to kick the Kohi Noor Diamond back to India though along with it's curse), we gave you the train that was used in America to build the west and when we were in charge there we kept our treatise far better, we are an island that has mixed with those we settled so many people here whom see themselves as full British (Myself included) have ancestry from those country's you mention (Maori in my case) and that means the invasion's as you call them went both way's, sorry though to upset your obvious Anglo phobia but I wonder just how different you are, Oh George Washington (Who kept slave's and we performed the anti slavery patrols long before you had your just civil war) was a Brit or did you not know that.
Washington were he got his name from is in Tyne and Wear that is in Britain, nice town but it is overrun by foreigners now, oh what part of our history also being your history did you not get.

Go far enough back in your history pal and you will find murderers, rapists, and slaver's, oh and they stole the land they lived on from someone else but they may have married there victims daughters as happened when the Saxons settled England and the Dane's and the Norse and the French so while many English have Y chromosome's from those area's the woman can often trace there X chromosome back 4 to 6 thousand years in the British isle's, many English married native American woman and not all settled in America some actually came here.

So stop with the ghost dance before we awaken our own shamanic anger.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Ahhh yeah, the good old British Empire and don't forgot we also brought the world the concentration camp, we're innovative don't ya know

And also, I'm a fan of Noam Chomsky, in regards to the future, here's some of what he has to say on that:

whatonline.org...

Your history needs brushing up. The British didn't bring the worlds first concentration camp. That "Honour" goes to the Spanish in Cuba in 1896:-

www.infoplease.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

whatonline.org...

Your history needs brushing up. The British didn't bring the worlds first concentration camp. That "Honour" goes to the Spanish in Cuba in 1896:-

www.infoplease.com...

I could say the same to you, it's debatable as the British used them during the Boer War

Or you could say they were first during the American Civil War, depending on your own classification of what a concentration camp actually is.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join