It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad board coding making me scroll left/right?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
SMR

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Is it me,or is this happening to everyone?
I use 1024x768 and still have to scroll left/right in order to read alot of threads.
I think that adsense is throwing it off.Though it is fine as I type this,but then the google ads are not present.

Can something be done about this?No need to remove the ads,but maybe just move them someplace else where they wont mess with the board structur.

EDIT to change title

[edit on 7-11-2004 by SMR]

[edit on 7-11-2004 by SMR]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yep...happens here to sometimes! Is that what is?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Let's put the ads in pop-up windows instead, that way they won't affect the page formats.

Page design for a dynamically-generated database-driven website like this is not as easy as it might seem. It's always an ongoing struggle.

Considering that the Google ads provide income for ATS, I can't exactly complain about them.

Thus I can acknowledge and agree that the ad formatting may be a bit rough in spots, but I'm glad ATS has sponsors, too.

[edit on 11/6/2004 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I hate it when that happens. Usually somebody just posts an oversized image. I remember a member on another board would insert a huge patriotic image in his posts if he was losing an arguement or the discussion wasn't going in his favor.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Always looks perfect to me (1024x768), usually the reason that makes it go over far is that somebody shows a large image, or has a long string of text that just forces the table to the right.

SMR

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Should still not format that way though.
My board never has that problem.Infact,I tested.I kept typing without hitting return and it turned out fine.
I do know about image posting,but none of the threads I talk about have large images,or images at all for that matter.

Here is an example thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
I have to scroll left/right about 3in

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Looks Perfect In FireFox. As well as in Opera, and IE.

Edit...see how I forced the table to go out?

[Edited on 6-11-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

SMR

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I see how you did make it extend.Maybe they need to do some re-coding of the board so it doesnt allow that to happen.I added a mod/hack to my board so it doesnt happen.

Here is the same page you took a shot of HERE
Notice I have to scroll.Too weird

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I don't like how the ad makes a scroll bar and to see the ad you have to scroll over.

I can adblock it with Firefox (the browser that intelligent people use), but the scroll bar is still there.

SMR

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Yeah,my original thinking may be wrong in this case.
I thought it may have been the ads,but now see it as the board coding.
I dont block any ads with FF on ATS as I fully support the cause/need for ads.I was just getting peeved at the craolling deal.
Maybe SO can fix it so it doesnt do this.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
On threads that don't have long pieces of text or URLs or huge images, you only have to scroll if you want to look at the Google ads.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
It's not the ads. It's not "bad code". It's users who don't use the proper BBcode for long/complex links, or who type long lines of text with no spaces, or who post large inline images.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I find this has happend to me before and it was my fault.

The way to get around it is if people would press the "Space Bar" now and again.

It annoys the hell out of me and once someone does this then it formats everyone elses post.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
For some reason it just happened for the first time on this thread. Weird coincidence.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
For some reason it just happened for the first time on this thread. Weird coincidence.

Yeaahhh...I did that to prove a point.

Bout 8 posts up...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I have the same problem, using AOL browswer or IE browser. Resizign the window doesn't seem to help it either.

SMR

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Does XMB not have some sort of MOD that will not allow this to happen?
Im not sure how the majority feels about it,but it really is annoying when you have to scroll almost 6in at times to read posts just because some numbskull doesnt know how to type.
I know I added this on my board,but that is phpbb.

I know this is a lame rant to some,but just in this thread from the example made,it is quite annoying when it happens to so many.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This is why its going on in this thread.

SMR

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yeah,I know that.I said it in my last post.
Im just wondering if there is some hack or mod that can be added like in phpbb that eliminates this when people type wrong.
I would also limit image sizes in posts.If it is going to be a huge image,make it mandatory that they link to rather than post it in the thread.

SMR

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Isnt there a word wrap hack that can be utilized? I tried looking but Im not familiar with XMB.Not sure if it is a hack or MOD.
I know this seems petty,but it is annoying when there are so many threads that do this.
I'd even be willing to donate $10 to ATS just to do it!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join