It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Announced Yahoo Will be reading Your Mail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The morning news announced that Yahoo would now be reading our E-mail. I was wondering if anyone knows of a free E-mail service that will not have anyone reading our mail?

I don't have any mail that is beyond family letters and a few photo exchanges but I hate the idea that we don't have the privacy that we were supposed to have. I think they now can open our regular post office sent letters too, but doubt they would trouble with that much.

May 30, 2013 NEW YORK - As of June 1, all Yahoo email users are required to upgrade to the company's newest platform, which allows Yahoo to scan and analyze every email they write or receive. According to Yahoo's help page, all users who make the transition agree to let the company perform "content scanning and analyzing of your communications content" to target ads, offer products, and perform "abuse protection." This means any message that Yahoo's algorithms find disturbing could flag a user as a bully, a threat, or worse. At the same time, Yahoo can now openly troll through email for personal information that it can share or hold onto indefinitely.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Great! Yet another reason not to use Yahoo unless you are a...well YAHOO...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Thankfully I only use my Yahoo email for ordering pizza. What I wish Yahoo would do is cancel all of the spam I receive. The same can be said for Hotmail as that is just crazy with the spam!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If they would start sorting it for me, and remove all the spam crap, I'd consider signing into it again.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If you are of the secure minded type, Hushmail is one I've used in the past when I've needed that extra level of privacy. It's free, encrypted and about as secure as consumer stuff gets.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

If this isn't posted elsewhere this should be in breaking news or somewhere where more people going to "Recent posts" will see it. And it should be breaking news on every news show and network. To be honest, I thought they were able to do this long ago. Why do facists (as aptly described by Wilhelm Reich, who once again is spinning in his grave - I have the videotape) get to make all the good decisions these days?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
They can have it, I use my old yahoo account as a junk mail drive.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yahoo are way behind Apple on this one
Linky

The iCloud email service from Apple actively blocks emails containing certain words or phrases, according to MacWorld magazine.

Apple’s right to do this is spelled out in the terms of service (which virtually nobody reads): “Apple reserves the right at all times to determine whether Content is appropriate and in compliance with this Agreement, and may pre-screen, move, refuse, modify and/or remove Content at any time, without prior notice and in its sole discretion, if such Content is found to be in violation of this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable.”

Privacy on the internet is a lie, full stop

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I don't know that I'd call it a lie. The Wiki insurance file the NSA is still hammering away at shows encryption can be effective. lol...

I think what generally does make it a lie in practice is that to have that privacy it requires 100% perfect adherence to a routine and process of doing everything. Never slipping up..even once. Never going to a familiar site from a TOR node and logging in, for instance, even one time.

I think for those who are fanatic enough to hold to that without the single slip up? Privacy can be had. Of course membership on websites won't be a part of it in any meaningful way and little things like online banking won't exist on that machine and connection ...but it's possible. (Just not probable..lol)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
If you are of the secure minded type, Hushmail is one I've used in the past when I've needed that extra level of privacy. It's free, encrypted and about as secure as consumer stuff gets.

Thanks for the suggested site.
I just felt when this came on the news, as a small way of protest I would like to say NO.

My son made that account for me long ago when he gave me a computer. They have been trying to get me to "upgrade" on the Yahoo mail site for a long time and I have not done it, even though they then made it harder to get to the mail for a while there.

There would be no point in not upgrading if ALL E-mail services now were reading our private mail.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Wow, theyre going to get MORE intrusive?

As it is now, you (which means they can as well) can search for words not only in your email, but in your attachments.

Thats right.

I did a key word search looking for an email when a few results appeared with the word nowhere to be found until I opened up the Word doc...

Scary.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

If this isn't posted elsewhere this should be in breaking news or somewhere where more people going to "Recent posts" will see it. And it should be breaking news on every news show and network. To be honest, I thought they were able to do this long ago. Why do facists (as aptly described by Wilhelm Reich, who once again is spinning in his grave - I have the videotape) get to make all the good decisions these days?

Pleaes feel free to add the subject in Breaking news if you like, it was on the news this morning.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is really happening.
I have Yahoo! email and don't remember seeing any announcement via email...and certainly wasn't asked to upgrade anything....and no policy update recieved

Also, the OP has no source to verify the story.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by Aleister

Pleaes feel free to add the subject in Breaking news if you like, it was on the news this morning.

I wouldn't do that, but your thread can be moved to one of the up-front forums and will get more views. Maybe you can contact an admin and ask for it to be moved. Thanks for putting up this thread, and I only found it because I took a look into the "Below Top Secret" section on "Recent Posts". I can remember when Yahoo was a soft drink.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here's a link to an article stating the same.
----------------
www.fromthetrenchesworldreport.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Considering the NSA is keeping, reading and archiving this and everything, everyone, everywhere sends and receives with every text, email, phone call, and posting....the answer is "no".

There is no email that wont be read, saved, unencripted, and archived no matter what you try. Read up the the NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY. They already have a file on you, me and everyone here....

Its hopeless.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Google already does this. I really don't care. Unless everyone in the world is ready to protest, then all of our rights will be taken away from us. When thinking on history we find that morals, rights and freedoms come and go in waves. Right now we're heading into the downward swing into oppression and tyranny. I don't think we can stop it.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Not surprised. For some reason I always thought that email option was an open book to some group in India where hundreds of computer surveyors were clicking through everything anyways. It's about as private as activity on public transportation. Now it's perfectly worthless. Who needs to be eavesdropped on for trivial things like what yahoo provides anyways?

The next offensive boundary is when they start writing your mail for you.

It's a crummy year for Internet big names.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Totally agree. Just make sure that if you use their free service you log in once every 3 weeks or you're account will be disabled.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

Totally agree. Just make sure that if you use their free service you log in once every 3 weeks or you're account will be disabled.

Well I am amazed at this video, seems every e-mail and conversation has been logged for a long time now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join