It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recall effort against Arizona's Sheriff Joe Arpaio fails

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Recall effort against Arizona's Sheriff Joe Arpaio fails

www.latimes.com

Despite a recent court ruling that the department run by Maricopa County’s top cop used racial profiling in his quest to crack down on illegal immigration, a recall effort against Sheriff Joe Arpaio has failed.
On Thursday, members of Respect Arizona and Citizens for a Better Arizona -- who launched the recall effort against Arpaio -- failed to gather the necessary 335,000 valid voter signatures by the 5 p.m. deadline. The aim was to force a recall election.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Honestly I fail to see the problem with racial profiling here. He is looking for illegal hispanic immigrants in a state that borders Mexico. Is he supposed to check 80 year old white women? I think the court was wrong here. He has to check Latinos because they are the illegal immigrants in his area. You won't find many Canadians or Germans or Norwegians skulking around southern Arizona illegally. Maybe he should be checking Asians in order to find illegals in Arizona?

Why do liberals/democrats always seem to support people who are criminals instead of regular people? The first thing an illegal immigrant does by coming here is break our laws by doing so. They are criminals and should be treated as such.

Obviously the people of the county support the sheriff. They have elected him six times. His practices are certainly no secret.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

You failed to mention the real reason of all this pressure against arpaio: the obama administration dislike his digging into the past of our "dear president" (he already proved the birth certificate was a fake), and they are trying to "get him" in any way they can. Too bad the people "won´t have it", since they keep re-electing him and aren´t stupid enough to have him recalled no matter the propaganda about "racial profiling" etc they try to use. Well, some people obviously are, but the numbers are there for a reason.

The truth wants to be free.
edit on 2-6-2013 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Honestly I fail to see the problem with racial profiling here. He is looking for illegal hispanic immigrants in a state that borders Mexico. Is he supposed to check 80 year old white women? I think the court was wrong here. He has to check Latinos because they are the illegal immigrants in his area. You won't find many Canadians or Germans or Norwegians skulking around southern Arizona illegally. Maybe he should be checking Asians in order to find illegals in Arizona?

Racial profiling is racist. So it's ok for him to harass Americans just because their family came from Mexico? And you will find that Asians, Russians and other kinds illegals cross the Mexican border. But then again they aren't as easy to spot as the brown people are they?

Why do liberals/democrats always seem to support people who are criminals instead of regular people? The first thing an illegal immigrant does by coming here is break our laws by doing so. They are criminals and should be treated as such.

The same can be said of Republicans Nazi Joe is breaking the law and you support it. If you want to crack down on illegal immigrants then go after the people that are hiring them something Joe doesn't seem to want to do.

Obviously the people of the county support the sheriff. They have elected him six times. His practices are certainly no secret.

Yes seeing how he has cost the county millions in lawsuits from where his people has beaten, killed and who knows what else to prisoners. Not to mention his harassment and threats to political opponents his practices are not secret. Nazi Joe is a real life Boss Hogg except Boss Hogg wasn't a racist ahole.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This was a total waste and sore loser party.

He JUST won re-election by a wide % and they instantly start a recall? Like he said himself, it's a real abuse of the system to run a recall days after a very clear election result just because the outcome isn't what you wanted it to be.

It would have been like Conservatives challenging the Obama outcome in November. Arpaio wasn't a close race, much less a nail biter...despite being the closest he's had, historically...and he won handily. As he always has among the county voters. They like who they have as Sheriff ...even if others don't. Sore Losers.
It's a bitter taste.
edit on 2-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

You failed to mention the real reason of all this pressure against arpaio: the obama administration dislike his digging into the past of our "dear president" (he already proved the birth certificate was a fake), and they are trying to "get him" in any way they can. Too bad the people "won´t have it", since they keep re-electing him and aren´t stupid enough to have him recalled no matter the propaganda about "racial profiling" etc they try to use. Well, some people obviously are, but the numbers are there for a reason.

The truth wants to be free.
edit on 2-6-2013 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

Joe hasn't proven anything against Obama. His "investigation" came up with the same crap that had already been shown to be fake. And his problems with the Feds started long before Obama went into office.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Sheriff Joe, is the only law and order in Phoenix. When local hispanic suburbs refused to hire law enforcement to protect their citizens, he took control of the law enforcement efforts and viewed those cities as part of Maricopa County.

He is a straight shooter, honest, and that trait cannot be handled by the Black Barry Gang from Chicago. We now have a criminal element in the Whitehouse and in our Congress . . . we the people are now the enemy of the state . . . and before we they are finished they will destroy most of us. Sheriff Joe, is the only real law and order we have in this country . . . you know something is wrong when our armed forces can now fire upon our own citizens. Adios Amigos. John

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Greetings friend!

Perhaps due to this he'll stage another fake assassination attempt?

Or perhaps leak a phony story about one of his competitors?

blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com...

I guess while there are enough bigots out there to support and defend this clown, he'll keep his circus rolling along.

edit on 2-6-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The problem comes from the fact that his officers have detained, arrested, and even deported US citizens simply because they are of Hispanic descent. US citizens who have done nothing wrong are being arrested simply due to their appearance. How can anyone be okay with that?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

lol.. What's fake? He spent a good part of his life in DEA and other areas, fighting the same Cartels he's fighting now as an elected Sheriff, right on their cash lines of supply and smuggling into Arizona. I have absolutely no question in my mind that the threats against him have been entirely real. He's one of the most outspoken and action oriented problems the Mexican cartels have to deal with on the U.S. Side. God Bless 'em for doing the job he does, too.

Bigot? Well, if looking for illegals by looking for Mexican/Hispanics ...mere miles from the Mexican Border makes him a bigot? Then I guess Border Patrol or Country Sheriff's in the North that look for white english speakers crossing that border are equally bigoted? Kinda silly looking for something other than what Stats tell you is about all you'll find in that given area.

When in Rome, looking for Romans isn't profiling...it's basic intelligence. You don't look for Persians and think it's clever. I've never understood the fixation some have against looking for those most often guilty of the offense being enforced at a given time. Last I checked...Southern Arizona isn't a hotbed of illegals from Europe, Russia and China. Other areas have those communities...and I'd wonder about them if people in those geographic locations looked for Mexicans instead.

By the way..if the clear majorities he wins shows Bigotry? Then I guess Maricopa County is the national capital for it ...because he does win, every election and without much question for numbers in the end. The will of the people in this case. Loud and Clear.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I find it amusing that the ones who oppose Sheriff Joe are the actual bigots and racists.

But I guess that I'll forgive them because they are so tolerant of others.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Except Arpaio has been costing the citizens of Maricopa County millions of dollars due to his corrupt practices long before Obama was elected. In fact the investigation regarding racial profiling was started under Bush. I find it ridiculous that people are trying to blame Arpaio's incompetence on others. Obama didn't make Arpaio detain James Saville for four years on an assassination plot that turned out to be setup by th MCSO to be used as a publicity stunt. Obama didn't force officers under Arpaio's command to brutalize prisoners awaiting trial (also known as innocent in this country) to death. Obama didn't tell Arpaio to not investigate child abuse cases because the prime suspect couldn't be bother to come in for questioning.

I'm not saying that Obama is a saint. What I am saying is that Arpaio is just as corrupt as every other politician out there. It is due to his actions and no one else that Maricopa County has had to spend millions upon millions of dollars due to the suits and cases brought against him.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

In the case of James Saville it very much was a fake assassination plot setup by the MCSO to get Arpaio some camera time. Because Arpaio is such a media whore Saville had to spend four years of his life in prison awaiting trial. There is nothing okay with that.

In regards to the racial profiling the second US citizens started being arrested solely because of their skin color is the second the profiling stopped being an investigative tool and started being an attack of the freedoms of any citizen of Maricopa County that might be of Hispanic descent.

Also, if Arpaio is merely trying to uphold immigration laws why does he never arrest those people that hire illegals? The reason these people are coming from Mexico is for work. If Arpaio started arresting those people who hired illegals it would cause others to think twice before hiring an illegal thus cutting down on work opportunities for them. With fewer work opportunities the number of illegals coming in to Maricopa County will decrease. Instead Arpaio is just happy going after all the brown people regardless of their citizenship status.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Greetings.

How have you come to this conclusion?

I don't like the guy because he abuses his power, lies and cheats to further his agenda.

Innocent people have gone to jail because of him.

He's the poster child for corrupt and evil government.

ATS is obsessed with false flags and corruption, yet turn a blind eye to this guy...because he's hard on illegal immigrants? Because he went after Obama?

Just imagine if Obama faked an assassination attempt! People would be calling for blood, but this guy can get away with it seems...and makes the taxpayers, the people who voted for him, pay instead.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

the only thing i dislike with this is the whole "reasonable suspicion" part. this is america and people don't need to "show their papers" before they can go about their business.

reasonable suspicion cannot be based on race, and police have a very limited understanding of what establishing reasonable suspicion is.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

People cherry pick on people in power all the time.

I think that he is doing a ok job with all the crap that is thrown at him, and that he stirs up as well. He is getting the populace to vote for him in pretty decent numbers, so he must be doing something right.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

In the case of James Saville it very much was a fake assassination plot setup by the MCSO to get Arpaio some camera time. Because Arpaio is such a media whore Saville had to spend four years of his life in prison awaiting trial. There is nothing okay with that.

Interesting case. I see he was acquitted in 2003 after a quick skim of the facts relating to it. 4 years in the can, waiting for trial kinda hurts....but then, you do realize every citizen in this nation has the right to demand a speedy trial and GET it, right? The majority waive that right, per counsel, and then complain when the system takes it's sweet time about getting back around to them. I don't know if I'd choose to wait or go if charged with something I didn't do. Probably demand my Speedy Trial though ...since, as this case and many others, all over the nation show? Sitting and waiting can sometimes carry more time than the offense itself. I wish this could be called unique to Maricopa County, but the problem is national.

Sounds like a case some more attention ought to be paid to in looking at. What happened to the accuser that fingered him in the first place, as you seem more familiar with it than I am?

In regards to the racial profiling the second US citizens started being arrested solely because of their skin color is the second the profiling stopped being an investigative tool and started being an attack of the freedoms of any citizen of Maricopa County that might be of Hispanic descent.

Can you show me a documented case where Sheriff Arpaio or his people have arrested a person 100% solely based on skin color and nothing but skin color, in isolation of any other factor? Now this DID happen, frequently, in the racist history of America's past. The Southern States in particularly, but I think all states had some of it at various times. Many have tried...many times...to nail Arpaio on that very charge. In and Out of court. I've yet to hear one succeed. Prove it and it works...merely claim it and it's opinion.

My understanding from reading a good deal about the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and Arpaio in particular was that he was following the laws...religiously..and after being certified and trained by the Federal Government specifically to enforce the Immigration statutes of Federal Law. I believe his office has since been thrown out of that program but it doesn't change the fact he's been operating under established guidelines ...set by the Feds themselves, for most of his time as Sheriff on this issue. (SEVERAL attempts by pissed off Feds to nail his office and him personally has shown, in court, what I said is true ..or they'd have cooked him well done by now, more than once)

Also, if Arpaio is merely trying to uphold immigration laws why does he never arrest those people that hire illegals? The reason these people are coming from Mexico is for work. If Arpaio started arresting those people who hired illegals it would cause others to think twice before hiring an illegal thus cutting down on work opportunities for them. With fewer work opportunities the number of illegals coming in to Maricopa County will decrease. Instead Arpaio is just happy going after all the brown people regardless of their citizenship status.

What area of law and enforcement do employers fall under? *ARE* civil laws and regulations regarding employers within the jurisdiction of the county Sheriff to initiate on his own prerogative and 100% in-house for the enforcement and investigation? I'm not personally sure if that is his area to work or not. Illegals on street corners and Home Depot parking lots absolutely ARE in his areas of responsibility though.

As a trucker who has spent more than a passing amount of time in Maricopa County while Sheriff Joe has been the guy running things? I appreciate the work he's done and I've seen with my own eyeballs, what he's dealing with for the illegal alien mess on public streets and "work sites". More, not less enforcement is needed.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

the only thing i dislike with this is the whole "reasonable suspicion" part. this is america and people don't need to "show their papers" before they can go about their business.

reasonable suspicion cannot be based on race, and police have a very limited understanding of what establishing reasonable suspicion is.

Actually..in a weird twist to things... Yes, they DO have to show their papers in the United States and they always HAVE had to.

I've mentioned this before but my Mom is a green card carrying perm. resident from Canada. She's been that way since she was a little girl and I'm natural born here. However, part of her facts of life in America since she was a teen has been the knowledge that she is required, by law, to have that green card with her and presentable upon request all the time.

Of course, that raises the obvious quandary and it's a doozy, isn't it? If legal citizens don't have to carry ID and immigrants, by law, DO need to carry their papers...how do you tell the difference for one who has none? Gotta love U.S. law and the total lack of logic to it, eh?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
The first thing an illegal immigrant does by coming here is break our laws by doing so. They are criminals and should be treated as such.

When I hear stuff like this, I wonder... Do you obey ALL of our law? Ever speed? Have a drink before you drive? Ever download music illegally? Litter? Ever use a drug that was illegal? (These are rhetorical questions.)

Are YOU a criminal and should you be treated as such?

If the people of AZ want this toadstool as a sheriff, then that's their choice. But don't expect everyone to accept him with open arms.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
(he already proved the birth certificate was a fake),

No he has not, his "experts" have never even seen Obama's birth certificate, and birthers have lost every single silly court case they have attempted, over 200 so far. Exactly what has he done with all the "evidence" he has collected on Obama?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join