It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: The Islamist government of turkey is about to fall?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
people were taking refuge behind a baracade from the water cannon. the water cannon truck just plowed into them

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Smoothly, already past that:

occupygezipics.tumblr.com...
edit on 1-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Maybe OP meant "The parliamentary democracy of x is about to fall"?

You can't run a country without direct influence of real people, it is bound to crackle, we've got the internet now.
Dictatorial rule, semi-democracy, puppet regime is all on that same list.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I was wondering when or if something like this was going to happen.

Erdogan was having way too many meetings with Morsi right after he was elected in Egypt!

The whole situation sounds like it could go the way of Egypt to me.

This is getting closer and closer to my prediction of the entire Middle East planning a Political Islam movement disguised as an Arab Spring.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Turkish President Abdullah Gul has called for "common sense" to prevail as violent protests against the redevelopment of Istanbul's Taksim square reached a "worrisome level".
"We all need to be mature in order for the protests... which have reached a worrisome level, to calm down," Gul said in a statement released by his office, calling on the police to "act in proportion".
Turkey's government appeared to be trying to placate demonstrators on the second day of anti-government demonstrations, even as police let off more tear gas and pressurized water against protesters in the capital, Ankara.
The protests grew out of anger at heavy-handed police tactics to break up a peaceful sit-in by people trying to protect a park in Istanbul's main Taksim square on Friday.
Bulent Arinc, the deputy prime minister, said the government was wrong to break up the peaceful protest with tear gas and said he welcomed a court's decision that suspended the uprooting of the park.
"It would have been more helpful to try and persuade people who said they didn't want a shopping mall instead of spraying them with tear gas," Arinc told reporters.
The park demonstration turned into a wider protest against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is seen as becoming increasingly authoritarian, and spread to other Turkish cities despite the court decision to temporarily halt the demolition of the park.
A human rights group said hundreds of people were injured in scuffles with police that lasted through the night.
en.alalam.ir...

XL5

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
What I have always wondered is, we know there are mad men with guns who shoot a bunch of people for various reasons. Why have these kind of events not attracted this sort of person? These people generally don't expect to live once they do this, so why haven't there been these mad men who stand up for the people?

edit on 2-6-2013 by XL5 because: clarification

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I'm going to repost in this thread too...

Originally posted by Deetermined
This situation already has it's own Wikipedia page, but here's what concerns me about the first sentence on the page.

"2013 Taksim Gezi Park protests"

From 28 May 2013, protests have been held in Turkey. The initial Istanbul protests were led by environmentalists against replacing Taksim Gezi Park with a reconstruction of the historic Taksim Military Barracks (demolished in 1940), with the possibility of housing a shopping mall.

en.wikipedia.org...

When you hop on over to the Wikipedia page for the "Taksim Military Barracks...

The Taksim Military Barracks or Halil Pasha Artillery Barracks (Turkish: Taksim Kışlası or Halil Paşa Topçu Kışlası) were located at the site of the present-day Taksim Gezi Park next to Taksim Square in Istanbul, Turkey.[1] It was built in 1806, during the reign (1789–1807) of the Ottoman Sultan Selim III.

On 16 September 2011, the assembly of the Beyoğlu Municipality enacted to rebuild the structure;[3] although the area falls within the purview of green space protection ordinances, development interests are exploiting statutes protecting historic structures in order to subjugate those protections; the rebuilt barracks is intended to be a shopping center. As of the time of the decision, no surviving portion of the barracks exist on site.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some of us have been joking for quite awhile that most of the Middle East wants to rebuild the Ottoman Empire, or at least create a new caliphate in which to control all the Muslim nations.

Why on earth would you recreate a military barracks to turn it into a shopping mall? Do you think there's a message being sent here? Do you think they were really planning to turn it into a shopping mall to begin with?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
1. The Turkish govt won in a free election with majority vote, and has the support of practically millions of citizens compared to the numbers out on the street.

2. The citizens do have a right to peaceful protests and should not had been mistreated by the police, whom will answer for it as promised by the govt, or face further backlash.

3. As the elected govt, they do have the right and mandate to proceed with their plans as debated within parliament, even included the much feared 'Islamization' of Turkey.

That is the price of democracy and the masses apathy which led to them being legally elected and supported by the majority, and now have to live with the RULE OF LAW in the state or be apprehended and brought to justice for crimes against society whom had elected the govt and given them the mandate.

4. Fortunately, Turkey is a democratic state. Each citizen still have the power of the vote to make changes in the next election. All it needs is better grassroots organistions and outreach to the masses, as many other political parties will do the same.

It is how convincing and honest a political party will be that will win the votes. The masses are not as stupid as some thinks. It is just how the messages are conveyed and attitudes of the grassroots folks to win. The present govt won because it was more convincing, although with regards to honesty, it is best left for turkish majority to decide.

5. In the meantime, while waiting for the next elections, the best option that will effect effective changes now espacially over the park issue is to pressure the elected legislatives by individual electorate enmass peacefully, let not one day pass without him having to answer for his support in parliament or his failure, or impeachment proceedings will take place against him.

It is his job to explain public policies that he had supported, or failed to support, and to find solutions to allay his electorate voters to keep the peace. His is their closet leader after all and it must begin with him

Muslims or non-muslims, we modern and educated humans all do share common and similar goals and aspirations in life. Good luck to my fellow brothers and sisters in Turkey. Cheers.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

The Turkish govt won in a free election with majority vote, and has the support of practically millions of citizens compared to the numbers out on the street.

So I guess the hundreds of voter records of dead people were discovered and the 17 million extra ballots printed equals a free election? So does he have the support? I would question that.

and now have to live with the RULE OF LAW in the state or be apprehended and brought to justice for crimes against society whom had elected the govt

Ya, not buying that either. Your basically saying tough, the government is going to do what it will.....if you don't like it just vote them out in the next election. I wonder what your responses were to the Arab Spring.
edit on 2-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I usually disagree with your comments about ME any chance I get....But your post made sense this time, specially the last sentences,and there is nothing I can say against logic and justice....But, the fact remains the same that the Turkish people are not happy with their government's actions,specially regarding the affairs with Syria and Israel.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

1. The election was monitered by international organisations and declared fair and free. But there is not to claim that it had been by any means a 'perfect' election, as all mortals are flawed and perfection does not exist in mankind.

Should discrepencies been found, then always remember that in a democracy whereby there are checks and balances at EVERY level of governance, there is the freedom to apply for the course of justice to be served, this time through the judiciary, which had been proven independent of the govt.

Why had the opposition political party not done so? Was it because they had failed to realized this avenue, or simply they had no concrete evidence but only based upon circumstancial personal beliefs that cannot stand up in a court of law?

2. My personal insignificant nobody me beliefs over the arab springs are on record here on ATS if they so wish to find out. Politics are not kid's play but every vote matters, even non-votes, but at the end of the day when the votes had been counted, it is a REALITY each voter must be honest and have the guts to face up to - its consequences.

If the minority groups failed in its quest, that failure only lays with themselves, to wake up from delusions and apathy, to seriously get to work in grassroots movements, to change minds or be changed if the political manifestos are against his and his personal beliefs for a better society.

Let us blame no one but ourselves for our failures to convince the majority of the need for unpopular national policies, or our selfishness in that caused none to agree to our personal self gratifying agendas.

3. What's done is done. We cannot change our past, but we can still alter the future, and it begins today, through peaceful means which will cause none to lose their precious lives. It begins with one's neighbourhood elected representative, as in a democracy, the legislatives make the laws and agree to it. Their votes count in order for legislation to pass.

To do otherwise will only mean chaos and anarchy, and affect the very livelihoods ALL Turks depend on, as chaos and anarchy inhibits commerce and gradually slow down the economy and hurt everyone.

There is NO way the PM can get his way to push his presumed policies across if he did not have the majority parliamentary votes by the elected representatives. To do so would mean he is a dictator. But so far, he is not. Just too bad and too late the voters made their choices, as he enjoyed full support and mandate none can challenge till the next election.

4. There are all kinds of citizens in Turkey, with very much differences, but majority of them are with religions and yet the support for secular govt is very telling on the maturity and comprehension of what democracy means, entails and its responsiblities.

It is the only form of governance that allows freedom of worship, equality and justice for all, checks and balances upon mortals, amongst many other values humankind shares in common for the progress and evolution of our race.

It should be an aspiration that should be encouraged, taught and nutured by all Turks, including the govt if it seeks to be representative of its people in a democracy, provided that is majority support. If not, the govt has a responsibility to ensure the rule of law is protected, enforced and applied to all.equally.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

well if any place should be allowed to riot then it should be Quebec up in Canada. Drinkers every one of them, the have nightclubs that stay open till 3 am, but they cant buy alcohol after 11pm or before 8 am. so they are being harshly dealt with.

the amount of people on the streets cannot be only about a park anymore. if it is its time the government chooses to say not to the dig. this is a full on anti government riot. i just hope they don't go sharia law on us.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I thought the government there was secular? If it's about to fall ... then that means secular rule of law will be gone and a version of Islamic law will be installed. that would be a step backwards for the country.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I thought the government there was secular? If it's about to fall ... then that means secular rule of law will be gone and a version of Islamic law will be installed. that would be a step backwards for the country.

How many times has history seen this? Over and over again people fight for freedom but end up giving that freedom to tyrants. From China,Germany,Russia,Italy. The good people of Turkey had better be smart and really think this threw.

What they should do is install a Republic ruled by laws not a democracy. Democracy will always lead to failure as it caters more and more to the masses.

Imagine this is the wild west and a gang of bandits just robbed the bank. They gather a posse to chase them down and catch them just outside the town. The men decide to take a vote whether or not to hang them and they decide to do just that. But wait the sheriff at that moment comes riding up and says these men have the right to face a trial and they must follow the law.

This is the difference between a republic ruled by law and democracy which is in fact always oligarchies.
edit on 2-6-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Threat title fail. I see no evidence that the Turkish government is about to fall. This is a protest about a park and a shopping mall. Let's keep it in perspective.

No you are wrong. You think this many people would take to the streets to save a few trees. This about a war being waged against humanity... Let's keep it in perspective.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Goverment is nowhere near being secılar, that is the Akp goverment. Erdogan called the father of Turkey Ataturk. "Drunk" and called the protesters "loosers" and many years of trying to distroy secularity of Turkey, pissed people of at last. This is a revolution similar to south American countries. From this day on Akp goverment has lost its credibility world wide.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by anubis93

I don't believe it is about just a park either. The Turkish people are not like others in the region as far as Islam. They are very unhappy with Erdrogans administration who they see as attempting to enforce more Islamic laws on them. It is my opinion that Erdrogan is attempting to appease the neighbors around them more with reforms so that they are able to shake their dependence on America and not really about Islam.

The Turkish people are Muslims and devoted to Islam but not radicals in any way. The people I lived and dealt with were normal everyday people...my land lord was a police man and his wife was a doctor....they went to the mosque and worshiped just as we Americans attend churches and mosque.

Sharia law cannot be imposed without the overthrow of the military as they will be the ones to protect the constitution they have from any influence of Islamic law, so I do not believe this attempt by Erdrogan to shift the country more towards Islam will result in any thing other than perhaps his removal from office either by the military or from the free election system they have.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Erdogan's government is not likely to resign , after all they still have half the votes in the country .

Military coup in Turkey is not possible anymore nor it is desirable .

Next elections in Turkey will be interesting to watch .

The confrontation between the Secular Turks vs Conservative Turks was/is inevitable and it's been predicted almost 20 years ago .
The scene from Istanbul is reminds everyone of such a polarisation .
Only question remains is that what will this confrontations nature is going to be i.e bloody or bloodless .

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I would question Turkey's future in NATO were it to become radicalised.As they do seem to be becoming less secular.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join