It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: The Islamist government of turkey is about to fall?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
A lot of people here misunderstand the word government.

In the US, when you say government, you mean the whole thing. Most of the world would call this the state.

In most of the world, especially parliamentary democracies, the government is the ruling party. What the US would call administration.

E.g. the UK currently has a coalition government.

Canada currently has a conservative government.

And yes, Turkey currently has an Islamist government.

The title would more accurately be in US English "The Islamist administration of turkey is about to fall?"

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
In Turkey, 'police are packing people into the subway stations and throwing in tear gas, attacking hospitals where the injured are being treated.'

ireport.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Turkey does NOT have an islamic government it is secular.
I doubt very much it is going to 'fall' and if it did it would be to the islamists - like Iran.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Guess you didn't bother to read the thread eh?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

I read your very inaccurate and misleading title - that was enough.
You falsely claim that Turkey has an islamic government when it is secular.
You are being alarmist and spreading mis truths.
addit: I will eat my hat if I events prove me to be wrong.
edit on 1-6-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

In Turkey, 'police are packing people into the subway stations and throwing in tear gas, attacking hospitals where the injured are being treated.'

ireport.cnn.com...

So you are relying on the mainstream media to tell you what's happening in Istanbul?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

I read your very inaccurate and misleading title - that was enough.
You falsely claim that Turkey has an islamic government when it is secular.
You are being alarmist and spreading mis truths.
addit: I will eat my hat if I events prove me to be wrong.
edit on 1-6-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

I did post the below post in another thread but I feel like can be part of this thread as well

Everyone who thinks that this protests are about some trees in a park is either very naive or very ignorant of what's going on in the region. The actual Turkish government is making drastic changes in the Turkish way of life. Slowly but surely they're slipping the country into an Islamic Republic and the last laws about prohibiting alcohol, banning kissing on public places, banning make up on the Turkish Airline stewardesses etc are enraging the progressive part of Turkish society. This country has always had a secular form of government but the actual Erdogan's government is making some serious changes which go against the image Turkey has in the world as a country where both cultures, that European and Asian can coexist. Don't also forget that Turkey is a NATO country. No one will tolerate an Islamic country in this alliance. Whoever makes the decisions globally cannot tolerate that as it cannot tolerate the fact that recently Turkey was getting closer to Russia. Thus the gift of TURKISH SPRING!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is a very interesting read:

One of the most toxic words in Turkey’s never-ending political wars is “Shariah.” The word, which stands for “Islamic law,” has been a constant fear factor in the secularist narrative. Accordingly, the country’s “Islamists,” such as Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the incumbent AKP (Justice and Development Party), are determined to introduce Shariah to a Turkey whose laws have been resolutely secular since the 1920s. They will, sooner or later, make Turkey “another Iran.”

Read more: www.al-monitor.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Watch this video.

vimeo.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The Islamist government of turkey

Then funniest and intentionally chosen word.

The Islamist govt of Turkey which is helping Syria to fall to help Israel ?

The Islamist govt of Turkey which let US instal missile shield be installed to protect Israel ?

The wolf in sheep closing which never stopped salafis from traveling to Syria ? The good old friend of Bashar ?

The Islam that we could never see ?

BTW , US puppets should have seen it coming.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Presumably you mean the government of the predominantly Islamic nation of Turkey? Or are we now to classify governments by the predominant religion of their respective countries? The Hindu government of India? The Buddhist government of Thailand? Of course not. They don't make for sensationalist thread titles do they....

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

reply to post by roguedesigner

So you didn't bother reading the thread, likely didn't even read the opening post.

See the little x beside this thread in your myATS, perhaps you should click it if you can't even be bothered to read any posts in this thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I read it all, as it happens. How is that supposed to change my opinion of your poorly informed choice of wording for the thread's title?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

pssst - I titled the thread as per the link I provided in the opening as I thought it was per ATS TOS. You obviously did not read the thread. Or did you just happen to miss this post

reply to post by Sankari

protests in Ankara, İzmir, Eskişehir, İzmit and Bursa.

and I posted the title of the link, as I thought you were supposed to do per ATS TOS.
edit on 31-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Thread derailment successful MDL.
edit on 1-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos
This is a very interesting read:

One of the most toxic words in Turkey’s never-ending political wars is “Shariah.” The word, which stands for “Islamic law,” has been a constant fear factor in the secularist narrative. Accordingly, the country’s “Islamists,” such as Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the incumbent AKP (Justice and Development Party), are determined to introduce Shariah to a Turkey whose laws have been resolutely secular since the 1920s. They will, sooner or later, make Turkey “another Iran.”

Read more: www.al-monitor.com...

Tentions were all ready high because of an alcohol ban the white party is pushing through the ban. It basically states no alcohol is to be sold within 100 meters of a mosque or school. Sounds reasonable doesnt it problem is you cant throw a rock without hitting a mosque i know ive been there. So in effect the islamists are trying to covertly ban alcohol. No to straighten something out the turkish people are not trying to overthrow the government they want to change the ruling party because they feel Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan is becoming a dictator. To a large extent i agree when he makes statements that he don't care what the people think its not going to change his plans.The problem becomes Ergogan makes a decision based on his beliefs and trust me when i say the turkish people dont take things laying down. They gripe about everything then to remove there access to the government leads to these protests. This isnt about revolution its about changing whos in power and it looks like the islamists may be on the way out.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Clearly the government of Turkey has to go. They dont lick enough boot.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

This is absolutely not about a park..The tensions have been building up in Turkey for quiet some times now.Most of the neighboring countries anticipated the fall of the Turkish government,duo to their careless support of terrorism in Syria and their overtly compassionate affairs with Israel,Turkey has been trying too hard to prove it's loyalty to the EU and the west in general,,but now they have to pay the big price and face the severe consequences....And yes Turkey has a secular government,but they are all Muslims anyways.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

funny how little you know about the turkish people and try to shape there political beliefs around yours. The could care less about Israel so i dont know how you can possibly link a protest to Israel. All ill say to this is your bias is showing.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Just an update for everyone on the thread here, but reports current have protesters 200 meters from the Prime Ministers Office and trying to reach it.

Al Jazeera's Gokhan Yivciger reports that protesters in Besiktas, Istanbul, have made their way towards the prime minister's office and are only about 200 metres away. They have hijacked a truck from the municipality and are using it as a barricade against the police, who are using tear gas to keep protesters at a distance.
Source

Al Jazeera is short and abrupt on this one, but then, what more is there to say? It sounds like a fast breaking/developing situation. I hope things go smoothly if there is major change within the Government there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join