It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: The Islamist government of turkey is about to fall?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Now all this isn't confirmed, just reading about it on reddit from any individual from Turkey....all I heard was some protests were taking place today to try to stop a park from being torn down to make way for a mall. I heard that three people died and I guess it was the tipping point.

Video of the protest at the park:

Police helicopter dropping tear gas from the air. One of the canisters started a fire on a roof of a building. twitter.com...
10 to 15 MPs effected by a tear gas bomb fired inside the party HQ in the area
Harbiye area in disarray. The military museum and the hotels in the area have opened their doors to the protesters and provide first aid.
Current state in Taksim twitter.com...

23:00 UTC+2

6 busses full of detainees at Aksaray Police dept. Only 15 volunteer lawyers there. More lawyers needed.
Police attacking protesters in Izmir, the second biggest city. twitter.com...

23:15

Protests live on Norwegian TV. Nothing on the local channels! Running soap operas!
Protests in Adana twitter.com...
Police ordered to use pastic bullets twitter.com...

23:40

Thank you world!
Beyazıt Öztürk has cancelled his live TV show and all of the guests have gone to Taksim to join the protests. twitter.com...
According to the mayor thare have been only 11 wounded. **** You Mayor!

23:50

Military helping the wounded protesters have been attacked by the police using gas grenades and water jets. The police has attacked the military! Protesters have cornered the police doing the attack! www.facebook.com...
The fans of two arch rival football teams Göztepe and Karşıyaka from Izmir have set on road to help their rivals from istanbul, GalataSaray Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe. twitter.com...

00:00

Live on the Russian TV
People gathering in Kadıköy on the Anatolian side. Rumors of people gathering at other places as well.

00:15

50 police officers resigned. Rumors of PLICE CHIEF OD ISTANBUL being FIRED www.facebook.com...
Protests doing on in Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Balıkesir, Çanakkale, Eskişehir, Konya, Edirne, Bursa. Also solidarity protests in Germany, Nederlands, France, Spain.

00:30

Electricity has been cut in the Beyoğlu area to prevent usage of WiFi hotspots. twitter.com...
Police attack to The Hilton Hotel. Protesters stuck between Hilton and National TV Building! Blood everywhere. twitter.com...
The state of the Turkish Media as all of this is happening: twitter.com... ****ing traitors!
In front of the military lodgings right now! twitter.com...
This is how much gas has been used taday!

00:50

People on the streets in BAKIRKÖY,KADIKÖY,ESENYURT,KÜÇÜKÇEKMECE !!!
More Gas from today
[Hundreds of people on the streets in Antalya, they need more support!] (Antalya yüzlerce kişi sokaklarda, katılım bekliyorlar, haydi Türkiye! )

01:00

Rumors of live ammo being used. Probably to discourage more people from joining the protest.
Thanks for the gold!
The anarchist football fan group çArşı reports that they have captured a riot control vehicle!

01:20

Please send ambulances People are dying!
Arch rivals for life, the fans of the three biggest Turkish football teams have united for the protests.
If the protests last more than 48 hours the secular opposition is legally eligible to ask the ruling party to step down.

01:40

Protests going on in Antalya as of 00:45
The only things they use against the gas bombs is are applauses and booing
Unconfirmed: Police chief of EDIRNE says he will not do anything against protesters.
Pot and pan noises near where I live

01:57

People on the streets in the suburb where I live

The first Turk to climb mount Everset, Nasuh Mahruki has been wounded in Taksim!
A friend of mine after being at Taksim for the day

02:15

5000 people have cut the Bağdat avenue at the Anatolian side of the city. They are walking towards Kadıköy.
A video of the Taksim Protests today
The Inönü stadium right now

02:30

The soldiers in the Harbiye military lodgings have stepped outside. Police has retreated. The soldiers are setting up a field hospital in the garden of their compound.
ATTENTION! Detainees at the Beyoğlu police dept are being subjected to severe violence as we speak!
Images Of The Day

02:40

The situation in Istanbul at the moment: 400 wounded, 5 of them critical, 4 dead, 10 Head traumas, 3 people lost an eye.
Solidarity from Washington DC. Turks living in Washington are gathering for support. 15:00 local time @ Lafayette Park

02:50

Unrest starting at the district of Okmeydanı. Wounded coming to the hospitals.
The University of Muğla is on foot! Walking towards Sınırsızlık Meydanı
Video NTV Reporter still babling about court rulings amidst all this carnage

03:00

Eight people are being tortured in the Beyoğlu PD Right now!
This is the city of Balıkesir right now!
Poeple of Ortaköy - Istanbul are gathering to protest.

03:10

IMG- Thousands of people walking towards the Parliament in the capital Ankara
IMG - Taksim right now
IMG Beşitaş right now
district of Bahcesehir on foot. Flags everywhere.

03:20

A 9 year old lost girl is reported safe and sound at Divan Hotel. These guys have been providing first aid to the protesters throughout the day. Thank You Divan!
All drug stores in Taksim have decided to stay open throughout the night.
IMG - People are singing the national hymn on the Bağdat avenue
If you are around Taksim and if you can use Skype call here: 00447807427324 BBC wants to talk with you.

03:40

IMG - This is Bakırköy
Protests in the city of Edirne
1000 people from Bakırköy and 15000 peole from Kadıköy are walking towards Taksim.
the only TV station broadcasting live is OdaTV

04:00

IMG - This is the city of Isparta
IMG- Izmir Karşıyaka Backgound: The poster says "We've got our mom" The picture is of Atatürk's mother. This is as an answer to the notorious insult Erdoan made to a complaining farmer by saying "COME WITH YOUR MUM THEN!!!"

read more at:
www.reddit.com...

Please, before making comments, take a look at the link provided. Title of thread is title of the link provided.

edit on 31-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So is it non-muslim's protesting the cutting of the tree's? Or why did you just not say government?

edit on 31-5-2013 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Lots of tear gas being used:

Picture from a distance:

Closer picture:

Protestors marching to the Turkish Parliament:''

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The Turkish gov't is about to fall? I really dunno about that.

Good to see the "Occupy" theme is still on going.

‘Occupy Taksim’ grows in spite of crackdown

www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

Turkish police attacked Istanbul’s Taksim Gezi Park protesters, injuring dozens, as a sit-in against a mall project entered its fourth day on May 31.

Police made numerous attacks on protesters in Istanbul’s Taksim area, in a crackdown on crowds gathered to stop the bulldozing of trees for a planned mall in the city center. Police detained more than 60, Istanbul Governor Hüseyin Avni Mutlu said.

Among the scores of injured from gas canisters were Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) deputy Sırrı Süreyya Önder, BirGün journalist Ahmet Şık and Reuters photojournalist Osman Orsal. Hürriyet Daily News photographer Emrah Gürel was also injured in the leg during the clashes.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

reply to post by Swills

I am just hearing that the protests at the park and the way the police / military was used to break that up made the people angry and they want the government overthrown. Just posting what the reddit link is suggesting

Please read the reddit link provided.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Threat title fail. I see no evidence that the Turkish government is about to fall.

This is a protest about a park and a shopping mall. Let's keep it in perspective.

In other news, Turkey is a secular state and does not have an Islamist government. The Adalet ve Kalkınma Partisi is merely a conservative party with Islamic leanings.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Here's something that may or may not be related?

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's military on Thursday returned fire after shots were fired at an armored personnel carrier from across the border with Syria.

Turkey has blamed Syria for a pair of car bombings at the border town of Reyhanli on May 11, which killed 52 people. Syria has denied any involvement.

edit on (5/31/1313 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

protests in Ankara, İzmir, Eskişehir, İzmit and Bursa.

and I posted the title of the link, as I thought you were supposed to do per ATS TOS.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I don't think its a part of the TOS but if this was to be posted in the BAN forum then you have to post the title of the article, not a title of your own.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

The Turkish gov't is about to fall? I really dunno about that.

The MSM has being using the cover (Protests over Building Mail on a Park) official line, and you know what else? while the protesting was happening the government had a media blackout of it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Well I think I will keep the title as the protests have spread to multiple cities. Some more pictures:

link   
Apparently this park just means a lot to them, nothing to do with radical Islam. twitter.com...

link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Sankari

protests in Ankara, İzmir, Eskişehir, İzmit and Bursa.

That's what happens when a bunch of highly excitable people exploit a small event to create mayhem in the name of their own frustrations and prejudices. Protests get hijacked and turned into something very different. Happens all the time.

I just hope the violence doesn't spread into the heart of Istanbul. It would be terrible if Sultanahmet was damaged.

and I posted the title of the link, as I thought you were supposed to do per ATS TOS.

I'm not blaming you for the title.
edit on 31/5/13 by Sankari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

Its only picture meant to fool the viewers so if your looking into the picture claiming that the protests are over a park Notice how its only one Turkish man holding in clear written English?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

What? Whose had a media blackout on it? My link above is a Turkish news outlet and a poster posted a link from ABC.

More Turkish outlets covering the story,

www.todayszaman.com...

www.turkishpress.com...

www.turkishweekly.net...

lmgtfy.com...

If these protest aren't what all these news outlets say they are then do tell, what are they really about?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Some background:

Report: Court to hear case at center of Istanbul protests

A district court said it has agreed to hear a case against the rebuilding of historic barracks -- a project that has been one of the catalysts for days of protests in the city, Turkey's semi-official Anadolu news agency reported Friday.

The court has ordered a temporary stop on any construction at Taksim Gezi Park, where the government plans to rebuild Ottoman Empire barracks and create a shopping arcade, Anadolu said.

The announcement came on the fourth day of protests in and around the park, which is in Istanbul's main commercial district. Demonstrators oppose the plans to rebuild the barracks because they say the government cares less about historical conservation and more about money.

Police fired tear gas and water cannons at protesters on Friday. Twelve people were injured -- including one critically -- in clashes, Istanbul's mayor and governor said at a joint news conference. Sixty-three people were detained, Istanbul Gov. Huseyin Avni Mutlu said.

Mayor Kadir Topbas emphasized the demolition in Taksim Gezi Park was not related to a project to construct a shopping mall there, but was a part a wider renovation project of Taksim Square.

Interior Minister Muammer Guler said that an investigation would be launched into claims of "disproportionate use of force" on protesters.

Erdogan's policy on Syria, which many in Turkey blame for a twin car blast that killed at least 52, as well as a new law that would prohibit vendors from selling liquor from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., are part of the sit-in at Taksim Gezi Park.

"This is only the beginning, our struggle will continue," demonstrators chanted.

Many at the park said they believe this may be the beginning of a turning point in Turkey.

"This is an uprising, a protest against the increasing bans," said Michelle Demishevich, an activist and member of Turkey's Green Party. "Perhaps just like we saw the Arab Spring, this will be the Turkish Spring."

edition.cnn.com...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

What? Whose had a media blackout on it? My link above is a Turkish news outlet and a poster posted a link from ABC.

From Twitter.

This is what Turkish TVs are showing during the total chaos in the country

By the way your links are from the pro Government news state media outlets. You do know Turkey has struck agaisnt criticizing the government right?

This reminds me of when our Mass outlets were claiming that the protests across the middle east were an video in case they weren't.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I lived in Turkey for two years. The government is secular by law so it is not Islamist. A majority of the Turkish people are Muslim however very secular people. Their government is very similar to our own here in the United States. The military is very secular and is not opposed to coup as they have some in the past...the 70's were very tumultuous for them.

For the most part the people and the government have taken stands in recent years on the side of the overwhelming majority of Muslim countries in the region but largely for survival reasons as they have to live there. This country in the 80's (when I lived there) was very modern for the region but much like the states in the 60's...they are very family oriented and very open to learning about other people. The people I dealt with were very excited to speak and interact with Americans and even though it was against the law to attempt to convert someone they were always curious and asking questions about Christianity.

They are very stable as far as countries in the region...do not follow Sharia law nor do they want to. They do not believe as their neighbors do as far as religion being the law. I would be very surprised if this resulted in a coup as the military does not play....they are a modern equipped force and can deal with any threat inside or out in a matter of hours...could it lead to a change of leadership...yes as in recent years there has been a shift and I believe it is mainly due to outside influence that they become more religious centered but it is against the Constitution they currently have and I do not see any radical changes int the future.

It would seem the people are upset about recent regulations changing the way of life...no alcohol sales after 10 nor before 6...this is very much an Ouzo country...they love to drink and have many night clubs. It seems they are against the government making more stricter laws or a shift towards Muslim rule...I always found them to be pretty straight forward people that like to enjoy life
edit on 5/31/2013 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

The government is secular by law so it is not Islamist.

Of course the government is secular thats why its backing terrorists in Syria whom are killing Christians and Kurds i am quite sure its very secular. Is this the way you are defending the current Turkish government whom is seeking the recreation of the ottoman empire?
edit on 31-5-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I'm sorry, I don't read Twitter, ever. So, what is this protest all about? Those Turkish links are pro state? I dunno, I didn't look into them but you did?

And about that video. The mass protests were about that video. Before the 9/11/12 attacks that video was in the news in Egypt at least and there was a protest about it, the lie was that there was a protest about it in Libya. Either way, because of that lie AND that video protest-riots spread all across the MIddle East.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join