It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There have been a number of events recently that have made many people angry, so angry that they have called for the Human Rights law to be revoked and never spoken about again.

What people forget is how the Human Rights act came about. It wasn't something that just materialised afetr made up over night. No, this was something that was agreed as a consequence of WWII and the U.K signed up and agreed to implement it into U.K statute law within 50 years.

Therefore all Governments, wether it be Labour or Conservative had the opportunity to advise their citizens of what they had signed up to and advise them of the fact that they could have withdrawn from any agreements relating to said law.

However, let's be honest Governments throughout the fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties and early ninties decided that it wasn't their concern and this was a bridge to be crossed when the act was implemented.

So, for all of those accusing Labour of introducing this law, please look back on history and lay the blame at all Governments that went before.

One thing I would say though is the more people call for the end of this act, the more the Government will listen. If the law was ever withdrawn, then what would the consequences be? Sure it would mean terrorists have their rights removed, but how long before the Government changes the definition of terrorists? It could end up meaning that anyone expressing a different opinion from the Government ends up being classified as a Terrorist.

The only thing I would say is be careful what you wish for. It can end up up biting you where it hurts!!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
We need human rights, without them none of us are safe!

Terrorism is no excuse to take away peoples rights either. If we do that then they win, and WE lose..

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Exactly, but all this rhetoric towards Human Rights is giving me the feeling that people are willing to give up theirs in order to remove rights from terrorists. How divided are we? Crazy!!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
reply to post by VoidHawk

Exactly, but all this rhetoric towards Human Rights is giving me the feeling that people are willing to give up theirs in order to remove rights from terrorists. How divided are we? Crazy!!

Just goes to show the state of peoples minds.
The average person spends 7 hours per day sat in front of that mesmerizing screen in their living room. 7 hours per day being fed BS and they lap it all up.
Childrens programs are exactly that, programs! Schools are twisting their minds even more too.

We are doomed matey.

Like your avatar, we need a generation of kids with that attitude

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Woops! I starred you based on your first sentence - the star is for mentioning where the NATO "human rights" statement came from at the close of WW2. That is correct.

When I read more, and saw you wanting to "end" Human Rights, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Now I wonder if you even know what the document says - like a "mission statement".
The PROBLEM we have is that warmongers and special ops (POTUS' 'private army') violate those rights BLATANTLY whenever they engage in conflicts, or give 'help' to rebels in dictatorships - and they do this in the name of "spreading human rights globally." It's asinine.

So is your idea to do away with Human Rights. ALL people need shelter, clothing, food, clean air, clean water, safety, freedom from slavery, and to be treated with dignity.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights wiki article. (There are numerous ways to look it up. Do some more research.)

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly[7] in 1948, partly in response to the atrocities of World War II.

Although the UDHR was a non-binding resolution, it is now considered by some to have acquired the force of international customary law which may be invoked in appropriate circumstances by national and other judiciaries.[27]

The UDHR urges member nations to promote a number of human, civil, economic and social rights, asserting these rights as part of the "foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world." The declaration was the first international legal effort to limit the behaviour of states and press upon them duties to their citizens following the model of the rights-duty duality.

...recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world.
—Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948

edit on 1-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I am not saying I want an end to the Human Rights Act, to the contrary actually.

I am pointing out that people are calling out for this as it protects Terrorists as well as civilians, which is very short sighted in my opinion.

I have re-read my OP, but can't see how you could misconstrue my sentiments.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I admit I didn't notice your location - and I agree that 'freedom of religion' in regards to Sharia-controlled areas is over the top. Okay, we're cool, then.

No, I don't think terrorists have a "right" to be terrorists; I also don't think Muslims have a "right" to kill their own family members or other Muslims, or shove their morals down anyone's throats. I also think "freedom of speech" for groups like the Westboro Baptist Church - or ANY extremists - should be SHUT UP as well.

Hatred has to go. War, too. Sorry I jumped before checking the depth.

There, I gave you a flag, too.

I think it's awful what has happened in England. I'm glad I got to visit it before all this happened. I doubt I'll ever go back now.
Sorry. Your country is beautiful, and one of my ancestral homelands.
edit on 1-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Glad you got to visit this green and pleasant land anyway.

The way things are going throughout Europe, I think this is just the beginning. I really hope I am wrong and that hopefully one day you will return.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Glad you got to visit this green and pleasant land anyway.

The way things are going throughout Europe, I think this is just the beginning. I really hope I am wrong and that hopefully one day you will return.

I hope so, too!!!

new topics

top topics

join