It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America losing its religion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Most Americans believe that the country is becoming less religious. This is good news for atheists, agnostics and others who feel that the America is mislead and held back by antiquated beliefs.

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

Poll: America losing its religion

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) - More than three in four of Americans say religion is losing its influence in the United States, according to a new survey, the highest such percentage in more than 40 years. A nearly identical percentage says that trend bodes ill for the country.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Dear CB328,

ROFL. It is absolutely true, America is becoming less faithful. The only thing that matters anymore is self and that includes people who claim to believe in God. Enjoy as best you can a world where nobody believes or cares in anything other than themselves. Have a good time with that.

Let me ask you a question, it is not original. A man asks a women if she would sleep with him for a million dollars, she says yes. He then asks if she would sleep with him for one dollar. She is offended and asks what kind of girl he thinks she is. He says he knows what kind of girl he is, they are only discussing price. Faithfulness can be tested, at what point will people sell out there morals and others. The real definition of morals is when someone and something matters more than you. What happens in a world where people believe they are all that matters and that when they die nothing matters, the ultimate in selfishness perspectives?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Like they say. .. " Desperation Breeds Courage ".

There is nothing like a man that can be bought for Cold Hard Ca$h.

You bring up an interesting point. . . Though people are becoming less faithful they are still attending Church. In may area the Churches are Always packed with their lots full and people parking down the street or road.

Just another statistic that a Large Portion of the Populous are a Bunch of Damn Hypocrites.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by CB328

ROFL. It is absolutely true, America is becoming less faithful. The only thing that matters anymore is self and that includes people who claim to believe in God.

I believe there is a vested interest in religious organizations in the U.S claiming a 'war is being waged' on them. Faith is always stronger when under attack. Though I do believe religion doesn't hold the sway it once did ... it used to be considered a required qualification in most fields.

What happens in a world where people believe they are all that matters and that when they die nothing matters, the ultimate in selfishness perspectives?

It's not any more or less selfish than believing there is a personal God waiting for you in a celestial dictatorship that will right all the wrongs and balance all the scales and reward you for being better than other people.

I don't cheat or hurt people. I don't try to make life difficult for anyone. In crowded streets I've been the one person to act when someone I didn't know was being attacked even though by your logic I've more to lose than anyone else.

I believe we have a moral and ethical responsibility to think about what we do before we do it, and question supposed scripture or preaching. I believe when I finish I'll be nothing more than a memory, and I hope that memory will be an awesome one for those I leave behind. I believe you get one life and no second chances, and I cherish everyone around me because of it.

I believe ... in people mostly because its all I've got and I don't need the sword of Damocles held by Zeus or Yahweh over my head to instill that. If Yahweh complains later, I'll say that's fine ... I didn't want to live in celestial North Korea anyway.

Then I'll spend an eternity in torment because I'm a bad person I suspect. Go team!

Believe what you like, but please don't believe an Atheist is bad simply because they don't share your beliefs. Would I be any better if I pledged allegiance to Posiden, Luminous the Lightbulb God, or Elvis? You have to think before you believe, so do Atheists oddly.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

Like they say. .. " Desperation Breeds Courage ".

There is nothing like a man that can be bought for Cold Hard Ca$h.

You bring up an interesting point. . . Though people are becoming less faithful they are still attending Church. In may area the Churches are Always packed with their lots full and people parking down the street or road.

Just another statistic that a Large Portion of the Populous are a Bunch of Damn Hypocrites.

Dear ShadellacZumbrum,

Too funny. Going to church does not make you a believer and neither does wearing a cross. LOL. Let me ask you a question. If someone had completely done you wrong, raped you as a child. Could you forgive them? Can you forgive the worst of us? If not, what is the worst of us that you can forgive? Jesus said to love God with all of our heart and love others as we love ourselves. Where do you stand? I have no idea what terrible things you have endured. No idea. Can yo forgive others and then understand that you can forgive yourself for whatever pain you have caused others? Or, have you not caused others pain?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The people are becoming more honest and saying they are not religious instead of saying they are.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

So... what do you suggest we do? Force ourselves to pretend that something exists, even though it has been proven false on so many levels?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I predict that the religious impulse will remain in some form or other for as long as we are humans. It has been with us a long, long time.

But it has taken many different forms in many times and places, always changing with the times. Perhaps what we are seeing is a shift in the form religion takes, rather than a decline in religion per se.

The old days of Sunday sermons and hardback pews is possibly too much of an attention-span challenge for the Twitter generation. Even the mass stadiums full of believers may be on the way out. People might say things like "I'm spiritual, not relgious" or decline to affiliate with a named church, etc. Like other human activities, it may become more dispersed, networked, and virtual.

But as long as there is suffering, there will be appeals to a higher power for salvation. I believe it is hardwired into us. And human suffering in all its forms is not going away anytime soon. You can take that to the bank.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

reply to post by CB328

ROFL. It is absolutely true, America is becoming less faithful. The only thing that matters anymore is self and that includes people who claim to believe in God.

I believe there is a vested interest in religious organizations in the U.S claiming a 'war is being waged' on them. Faith is always stronger when under attack. Though I do believe religion doesn't hold the sway it once did ... it used to be considered a required qualification in most fields.

What happens in a world where people believe they are all that matters and that when they die nothing matters, the ultimate in selfishness perspectives?

It's not any more or less selfish than believing there is a personal God waiting for you in a celestial dictatorship that will right all the wrongs and balance all the scales and reward you for being better than other people.

I don't cheat or hurt people. I don't try to make life difficult for anyone. In crowded streets I've been the one person to act when someone I didn't know was being attacked even though by your logic I've more to lose than anyone else.

I believe we have a moral and ethical responsibility to think about what we do before we do it, and question supposed scripture or preaching. I believe when I finish I'll be nothing more than a memory, and I hope that memory will be an awesome one for those I leave behind. I believe you get one life and no second chances, and I cherish everyone around me because of it.

I believe ... in people mostly because its all I've got and I don't need the sword of Damocles held by Zeus or Yahweh over my head to instill that. If Yahweh complains later, I'll say that's fine ... I didn't want to live in celestial North Korea anyway.

Then I'll spend an eternity in torment because I'm a bad person I suspect. Go team!

Believe what you like, but please don't believe an Atheist is bad simply because they don't share your beliefs. Would I be any better if I pledged allegiance to Posiden, Luminous the Lightbulb God, or Elvis? You have to think before you believe, so do Atheists oddly.

Dear Pinke,

Your comments were both odd and unresponsive to what I said. I did not ask if you had to believe to make money. I could care less. Research the Coptics in Egypt, they gave up being treated well because they believe there is a God. If a Muslim or an Atheist kills a Christian, which is worse? Maybe they are both good for doing such a thing.

You say that you don't cheat or hurt people, who said you did? I did not say that all Atheists hurt or cheated people. Go back and read what I did say, I asked questions, I do that, consider my moniker.

Enjoy your one life, be you and give what you have to give. How is that logical to give more than you get considering you believe we are nothing and cease to exist? You must be insane following your logic.

Clearly you have not bothered to read what I have said in the past. If you think you spelled the name correctly, you missed the meaning. What a shame.

You really do fail to understand what I am saying, you see me as whatever morons lied to you about what the bible means. Good for you, be as ignorant as the people who told you the foolishness they believed because they thought they would win. There is no winning except loving one another regardless of what we choose to live with.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The nation and the world are growing up. Eventually everybody learns that Santa Clause isn't real.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

So... what do you suggest we do? Force ourselves to pretend that something exists, even though it has been proven false on so many levels?

Dear Xaphan,

Simple answer, be whoever you are. I don't care what you believe, that is up to you. Pretend nothing, believe what you will and love who you will. If you only love you then live with only you and don't ask others to love you back as you do not believe they even exist.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I'm glad many more people are becoming secular. Regardless if they identify as atheist, agnostic or whatever. As times change people would hold different views and I hope the future of America is a bright one.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Another thing worth noting: there is a difference between fundamentalism (literal adherence to a text, leader, or set of defined rituals) and mysticism (direct experience of the divine, spiritual ecstasy, etc.) in every major religion. For a long time, fundamentalism has ruled the roost, especially in the West. I see fundamentalism declining while mysticism will rise.

People will always have thirst for the innefible, a feeling of oneness with the universe or something holy, direct communion, etc. It is in every religion: Very strongly in the Asian religions like Taoism, Buddhism, and Shinto but also in the Abrahamic traditions. Islam, Judaism, and Christianity each have long and venerable mystical traditions. From Kabbalic study to Sufi dervishes to the Cloud of Unknowing or St.Theresa's inner spirtual castle, there has always and long been mysticism in the West. Occasionally it overtakes literalsm and fundamentalism. I see things headed more in this direction.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

So Hume was proven wrong? Well .. that's news.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

You pose some really tough questions. I would say that they are LOADED Questions.

I think the answers are a double edged sword. Answer one way and I lack compassion. Answer another and I am a Hypocrite.

I will say this though, as a child I had a near dear experience. With what I experienced it solidified, at least to me anyways, that there is something Superior. At that point in my life I became somewhat religious. Although not devout because I have entirely too many questions about contradictions.

I do not go to church on a regular basis because there are so many churches that believe something differently. It is all just so very confusing. I do pick up the Good Book now and again and have read it through, although it can be quite dry, several times.

As for your questions, Forgiveness I would say is a Moral Virtue which Most possess.

Personally I might forgive someone depending on the circumstances. Why might I say that. .. ? Because my brother was murdered by a Crack Addict who needed to get high. Then he turned the gun on himself. For that I have Never been able to forgive him because I have never gotten closure. However I suspect that before my dying day that I may finally forgive him because . .. . We Must Forgive Those Who Trespass On Us.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

"Eventually everybody learns that Santa Clause isn't real. "

And that was a Life Changing Moment for me.

Seriously.

edit on 30-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

You say that you don't cheat or hurt people, who said you did? I did not say that all Atheists hurt or cheated people. Go back and read what I did say, I asked questions, I do that, consider my moniker.

Questions don't come without implication.

You asked the question.

I answered it though perhaps interpreted it wrong?

Belief in no after life doesn't remove belief in meaning. Perhaps you would qualify what I've said as a belief in something, but given the context, tone, and my English I didn't read it this way.

How is that logical to give more than you get considering you believe we are nothing and cease to exist? You must be insane following your logic.

Because all that you leave behind is all that you are.

There is nothing insane about it, it's a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

Clearly you have not bothered to read what I have said in the past.

I'm not your biographer I suppose, and I imagine you're not famous?

You really do fail to understand what I am saying, you see me as whatever morons lied to you about what the bible means.

Or you failed to say it in a way that I understand.

Lets just call it a failure to understand one another and choose to correct it. (Or not if you like.) Though I think I read your view on the afterlife just fine!

I'm not sure which morons lied to me about the bible though ... that could refer to anyone from New Atheists all the way to Christian Apologetics to persons on the street.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I've heard it said that "the hand of protection is leaving the US because people are turning their back on God". .

There is a lot of good philosophy in the bible. I'm sure this holds true for Native American, Buddist, Muslims, etc, etc...beliefs in otherworldly wisdom. Has anyone ever thought that to realize ones true potential for love, forgiveness, and peace they need to gain some of that wisdom? I think the messages and lessons in most religions are meant to build the human spirit. I used to ask "how can that story be real" and intellectualize it to death until I realized the stories contain lessons that can be applied to each person regardless of time. I see it as listening to ancient ancestors who meant for us to have peace. To turn away from this would be to say I don't even want a shot at what This might offer. The problem as I see it is the big fat ego getting in the way and changing the messages and meanings to fit them and their will rather than applying the messages to themselves in meaningful ways that may require a bit of humility, patience, and faith. Maybe because of generations of doing this people have turned away. Maybe religion is infected in some areas and needs to be brought back to what it should be about - a way people come together to grow using the spiritual intelligence provided to reach their highest potentials.

I don't go to church often but what I was told does resonate with me. The hand of protection is being lifted. I believe one of our founding fathers stated to take God out of the equation for our country would be its undoing. Have to look that one up.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I haven't stepped foot inside of a church regularly in over 20 years. However, I have a lot more "faith" now than I ever did when I was a regular church goer.

You cannot prove anything outside of how your mind thinks - empirical evidence cannot be proven when we use judgements of causality.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

What does "judgement of casualty" mean?
I have never heard of that term before.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join